Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 00:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 138/122/119 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Smile Just Joined This Site

Just wanted to introduce myself. I changed my eating habits about a year ago almost, and over all I feel a lot better about myself. I don't consider it a "diet" but a life-style change to stop eating foods that are supposedly good for you, but are so high in sugar you get a rush off of them! I did this after I left my freshman year of college, and in one semester alone had gained about 12 lbs from my starting weight. Though I was only 138lbs, I was really depressed. So I changed my eating habits and my work out to form a much, in my opinion happier / healthier lifestyle. I'm down to 122 now, I'd like to lose those last 3 lbs but if I don't I don't, I just at least want to maintain.
I've also had some issues, since I was about 13 with Bulimia. I don't say problems, because I don't always see it as a problem. I do understand it is a disorder, but for the most part I got it under control when I was still in High School. Every now and then I slip up and end up on the "binge and purge" streak for a few days... but then I usually get back to my normal... more healthy self. But Lately I have been not so healthy, and thus why I searched around online and came to this. Just wondering if there's anyone else out there that is following Atkins, or a Low-Carb diet who was a bulimic, or still is... and what you do to try and deal with it. I find that I only go back to my bulimia when there is ...as trivial as it sounds... Ice Cream. It's my biggest weakness. Whether it's Atkins approved or not (espcially when its not) Ill OVER "endulge" and well.. the rest is pretty obvious.
I've read about apple-vinegar curving cravings.... I'm into taking vitamins and supplements... I take many as it is... just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Also, how soon does it take (on average of course) for your body to absorb sugars when we "slip up" and eat too many carbs? It kills me everytime I slip up, end up purging, and then feel like I must start induction over again because it was probably too late to get them out of my system....
Well that's my "diet" in a nutshell... It's a lot to handle I guess but tonight my relapse really bothered me. Thanks.
-Zavgem
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 06:16

Plan: Low Carb - My Way!
Stats: 261/177/125 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Hi Zavgem,

First of all, I want to applaud you for having the courage to talk about this. I think you're going to be fine! Recognizing what is wrong is the first step to making it right.

I am a massive carb craver. I decided to do induction clean - no cheats, none whatsoever. Do or die! I can't tell you how amazing it is to have all the cravings disappear by the middle of week two.

Everyone reacts differently, for some the cravings go away fast, for others more slowly. Give yourself 2 weeks - you know you can survive on the induction food list for 2 weeks! I think a really big factor is not letting yourself get hungry - that will only set yourself up for trouble.

The first 2 weeks I ate as much as I wanted - as long as it was legal food. No hunger that way. Starting in week 3 after things had settled themselves I started analyzing my food choices to see what needed 'tweaking'. Now at nearly the end of week 4 - the scale is moving downward and I feel great!

If at all possible, do the clean induction and stay away from the scale for those 2 weeks (I'm still on induction - I'm happy and content, so I see no reason to change yet). Concentrate on putting the right foods in your body - the end result will be great!

You can do this, just take it one day at a time - one meal at a time. I am the biggest hater of drinking water - but I have to say it truly helps, so... Drink your water!!!

Pam
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 06:33

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

welcome!!!
I still suffer from cravings but they aren't as bad and most of the time I can fight them away unless its TOM and I have to have Chocolate of some sort.

Portion control acually is the hardest for me. Growing up I was in a family you ate until you were so stuffed you unbuttoned your pants. No wonder we were a big family.

You can do it!!!