Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 04:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 144/144/120 Female 5feet 4inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Feeling irritable

Does anyone have a problem with feeling irritable and cranky while on Atkins induction. This is day 14 and I feel like I am PMSing and TOM is still a week away. I have been fussing with my kids and husband over really minor things and then feeling guilty afterwards. When I was in the earlier days of induction I felt better, pretty calm and in control-no mood swings. Now I'll see a dirty sock on the floor and go bonkers. What is going on.
Am taking Atkins vitamins and calcium/magnesium. Is my body not getting something?? Please help or I'm off to divorce court!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 04:31

Stats: 173/127.2/123 Female 5'1&1/2"
BF:
Progress: 92%
Wink Hi

I don't really know what to tell you. I would suggest plenty of calcium, but since you are getting plenty already, I guess, I don't know. I wanted to reply tho as I know how you feel! I went thru that type of thing at menopause, it was TERRIBLE!!! My Dr. just kept telling me to try not to kill my husband, and I'd get thru it!! tee hee. See ever since I've known him, when he puts sugar in his coffee a tad gets on the counter, had for years, but at that time I felt like back handing him, or drop kicking him or something, and even if I bit my tongue I'd get all red in the face! That is just one example, obviously there were many others...lol. It is an awful feeling, so I can sympathize with you. Maybe it is a carb withdrawal stage and will pass? Well, I know I was no help, but I do feel for you!! You are welcome to come to my journal and visit me and bitch a little if you like, I know where you are coming from!!

#3   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 05:28
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Personally I would rather hear that this was diet related and not the start of menopause. But then I would also like to be in my 20's again Good Luck Youngdor!

Here is a little hope for you I always PMS a week before TOM is due. And the last time around, HD said I was very cranky (to put it nicely), which he thought was funny because I usually a lot better than that! Oh, I may want to hit somebody, but I am better at keeping it to myself . I also remember I didn't want anyone touching me! Of course that made him bother me even more!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 06:01

Plan: Restart 8/6/18 - 75/20/5
Stats: 196/155.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:Die MF!
Progress: 62%

Hey Youngdor,

You can attribute this to the diet. When you lose weight your fat cells, which store estrogen, release it into your system. This can wreak havoc in the same way PMS does. I think I'm getting ready for TOM for the third time this month. Sometimes it can take a couple of months before things settle down.

Hope you feel better,

Jones
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 11:23
Registered Member

Stats: 174/159/138
BF:
Progress: 42%

lol GREAT.......just what we all need.........more PMSing...

My TOM came during my second week of Induction & boy was I a looloo a few days before. The next time, about 2 days before I got cranky, let everyone know to "beware" & it wasnt near as bad as the first week......... Im hoping that in the ensueing months it'll become less & less.
I can hope and pray anyways right???

Keep on Keepin On
Kkaye
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 11:34

Stats: 240/184/140 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:lost track
Progress: 56%

My goodness! A LOT to learn.
After I went on induction it
seemed that the PMS and TOM
thing got better. And then last
month came and it seemed to
be like several bad months
all lumped together. LOL!
The cramps were unbelievably
bad for me and let's not talk
about being cranky.
However, I did lose more weight
last month and noticed that this
month it has calmed down.
And I also upped my calcium
intake a smidge this month.
Peppermint tea has also been
a lifesaver!
Hope you feel better soon!
For your hubby's sake.
LOL!

Tanya
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 12:06

Stats: 144/144/120 Female 5feet 4inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for all your replies everyone!!! There is comfort in knowing I'm not the only raving lunatic out there. Just kidding of course! I will take a deep breath the next time I see my husband's empty coke cans all over the house and just think instead of what a great dad he is and pray these feeling go away!! You guys are great!!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 12:23

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I've done Induction twice (apart 8 months apart) and I can tell you that I was CRABBY both times. In fact, in my house we call it UMS (Ugly Mood Swings). And trust me, I had 'em!

But then the clouds lifted and everything was fine. My cravings were gone and I went on to lose a lot of weight.

Those around you will just have to be patient. It's a small price to pay for your improved health.

P.S. I also had headaches!

Donald
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 21:01
Registered Member

Stats: 174/159/138
BF:
Progress: 42%

LOL You're much nicer than I am Youngdor..........If anyone was leaving coke cans all over the house I'd probably be wingging them at their heads or atleast making them WISH that was all I was doing

I would say that 95% of horrid symptoms of just about every autoimmune disease out there dissapated when I started doing Atkins. I assure you, that one or two days of being irritable and PMSing is 100 times better than the quality of life I was living before & in turn the quality of life my family was induring also.

Im really happy to be lowcarbing.......... Hope all stays well for you.

Kkaye