Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 23:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default I cheated over Xmas... and I lost weight?

Hard to believe, I know, but I cheated over Xmas - 3 days in a row - but when I weighed myself and took measurements this morning I was down 1.5 lbs and .25 - .5 of an inch in the waist and hips (which is significant, because my weight loss goal is around 20 lbs). What I'm wondering is... how?

My TOM was over Xmas, perhaps that's part of it. Also, I only cheated on dessert. I ate low carb all day every day, but had wine and full carb dessert at night, three nights in a row. That was the only thing I did different.

Anyone know how that is possible?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 23:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 212/186/145 Female 5 foot 5 in.
BF:?????????
Progress: 39%

Hello femdepice,

I have to be totally honest and tell you I have no clue as to why small cheats lead to good results. I can tell you however that it’s really not worth it. As you can see I am half way to my goal but only half way and have been stuck for quite some time. In July (big month for me tons of birthdays 4ht of July ect.) I found that my cheating way paying off. I was shocked that the popcorn and ICEE I had to have at the movie theater did not hinder my efforts and then it lead to all the birthday cake and SUPRISE still loosing. As a matter of fact I think I lost more in July and Aug. Then I did any other month.

So here is the part of the story that I know you knew was coming....

I stopped loosing and started to cheat more hoping to loose. I started cheating because I was not loosing and it turned in to a crappy cycle of not caring. I am lucky and woke up before I gained a whole lot think only gained 2#'s. I am back on the wagon for good.

Hope this maybe helps a little.
Sarah
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 06:43

Stats: 250/230/165 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 24%

Congratulations !!!!!

The same thing happens to my hubby, he will eat coffee cake for breakfast, eat LC the rest of the day and drop weight ??? go figure.

All I can say is LUCKY YOU !!!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 07:01
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

It sounds as though your eating plan is very similar to CAD and people lose weight on CAD.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 10:58

Stats: 206.2/196.0/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 15%

It does sound similar to CAD. My sister-in-law lost about 50 lbs. on CAD. It was very effective for her.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 12:28
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Ultimately, the thing that matters is calories. By eating strictly lowcarb we can eat more calories (since our body doesn't use calories from fat as efficiently as calories from carbs) and we can control cravings since our blood sugar stays stable. However, even with the extra carbs in the evening you must have been eating few enough calories that you were able to lose weight -- probably because you weren't eating any junk food during the rest of the day. You're not very overweight at 5'7" and 160 pounds, so you probably don't have as many problems from carbohydrates as some of the rest of us do. You may well be able to continue what you are doing through another 10 pounds or so. My guess is, however, that to get to your goal weight you are going to have to get very strict with your eating for the last 10 or 15 pounds.