Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 07:02

Plan: Dr. Eades, Cocount Oil Diet
Stats: 183/165/140 Female 53 in
BF:43
Progress: 42%
Smile Need some direction...

Hello....
Looking for a bit of direction from someone that has made this way of eating a habit of a lifetime!
I have been on the coconut oil diet for a month. I have lost 10 lbs.
I am not hungry. I really do not care what program I use, but I know that I want to eat mostly protein with a few carbs. I have not had any bread or any sugar for over a month. I am doing fine with that, but now I have stopped loosing. I use the tread mill three times a week and I do curvesthree times a week. My body fat has dropped only 2 points and then goes back up inspite of the weight loss. Not sure what I am doing wrong now. I drink about 80 oz of water per day, sometimes more. Slight ketosis Sample of what I eat.
AM- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
Prot drink
Lunch- tuna with mayo, or chicken breast and green beans cooked in bacon
Supper-beef and broc
strawberries, or perhaps I will eat some blueberries
or for instance I had pork and sourk..I also eat cream cheese at times.
I also do not eat large portions.I also eat a bran muffin that I make that has only bran and wheat germ with whipping cream and coconut oil in them. I may eat one of those . They are very very small.
Am I not eating enough? I do eat as late as 9 PM...perhaps that is the problem??? I do not want to start eating all these carb free items. I want to stay basic. I eat out 70% of the time. I did bloodwork and I will re-test in a month to see if things have improved doing this. Looking for some direction..thanks for your help.
MLS
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 09:37
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Are you taking measurements? Could be you are replacing the fat with muscle, which does weigh more. In other words, you may weigh the same but still be shrinking.

Not familiar with your diet but it sounds like a good fit, given your level of activity.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 09:46

yes...I have measured myself. Still in same size but everything fits better. I have lost 8 in. My concern is I am at a standstill already and need to know if I should try something else. I do need to loose weight also...not just inches. I am 40 lbs overweight. Thanks so much for your relply. I do not like the coconut taste. It gags me so I am wanting something else but with perhaps a fruit a day...Bread and pasta is not necessary. I just do not want to consume more that I should.
mls
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 13:56

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

Do you eat out 70% by choice or because the nature of your work dictates it? If the former, I suggest that you cook more, even if you don't like it at first. You will have more control over what you eat (and the quality of it).

Speaking of quality, the quality of your coconut oil affects its taste a lot. I started out with the Spectrum brand, and eventually switched to a much better brand. The difference is night and day. Also, coconut milk (provided it's not too sweet) will also give some of the benefits of the oil, and may be more tolerable.

Also, the pause in your weight might be just that -- a pause. How long has it been since neither your weight nor your measurements have changed?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 14:18

yes...I am very busy. I am always trying to find quick things to take with me. I do make the bran and wheat germ muffins with meat and cheese sometimes and that helps.
I just tried the other brnd that I have called Nature's Vision and it taste less like coconut so perhaps that will help. The one I dislike the taste of is Garden of Life.
It has one one week and I have stayed the same.
I am wondering if it is the cream cheese? I eat two oz a day of that.
I really really apprecite your time. This IS GOING TO WORK FOR ME! I am very determined. My col number was 300. I have to lower that and I need to loose 35 lbs....Again...any advice ? I am very willing to listen and to learn. Thanks again
Have a great day
ML
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 11:11

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

mel50,

I've read many posts here that attribute slowdowns in weight loss to cheese and nuts. Eades, in Protein Power Life Plan, reports a similar observation among his patients. These foods may not have to be off your plan forever, but nearly all of us have had to experiment with and tweak the diet to some degree to make it work optimally for us.

In regard to your cholesterol number, my suggestion is not worry so much about it. Eades devotes an entire chapter in PPLP to deconstructing some of the myths surrounding the worship of this measurement. You may also be interested in Uffe Rasknov's The Cholesterol Myths, the definitive debunking of the link between cholesterol and cardiovascular health. Rasknov's web site provides an overview of his ideas.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 13:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/126/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

It may also just be a stall. Everyone seems to have them. I stalled for over 3 WEEKS! Finally, slowly, I have lost a few pounds again. You may, however, want to dry reducing your dairy intake and see if that helps.