Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 08:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 140/133/120
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default V V DUMB questions ..

Hi,

I've just gone for my cheesecake baking course. And am at home now.

Thing is, the chef has used weight to measure all his ingredients and i am totally baffled coz i've always used cups or tbsp or tsp of stuff !!

whats the cup equivalent of 75g of sour cream and 45g of heavy cream and 25g of maple syrup ??????

i'm planning to reduce the amt of sugar to 1/3 of what he uses.

hope somebody can help !!

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 13:55

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'm sure you could find a conversion table on the Web or in any basic cookbook, but I'd like to suggest something else. Maple syrup and sugar are not allowed on Atkins. We have our own celebrity chef here, Karen Barnaby. How about trying her recipe for cheesecake which is made with artificial sweeteners? Go to the orange bar at the top of the page and click on "Low Carb Recipes".

Of course, you should only be doing this if you're off induction. If you're still on induction, shame on you!

The cream cheese, sour cream, and eggs in cheesecake already have carbs. If you add sugar or maple syrup, even 1/3 what the recipe calls for, you're going to create something with LOTS of carbs. The sugar is going to give you a big rush of insulin and cause you to go out of ketosis and STORE fat. You will never lose weight this way.

Cheesecake, or any food, just isn't worth it. Didn't you go on Atkins to break free from this cycle? Personally, I'm fed up with being fat. I've been fat my whole life. Enough. I've lost over 90 pounds on this plan; it's the best thing I've ever found. But it will not work at all if you keep going off plan and out of ketosis. And making a whole cheesecake with some sugar in it is definitely going off plan.

Sorry to scold you, but I'd just love to see everyone else around here be as successful with this as I have been.

Allison
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 22:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 140/133/120
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Thanks alison !

its ok to scold me.

thing is, i dont live in America, and there's no way i can get hold of splenda and sugar twin.
Have thot of ordering over the net, but they told me the shipping will cost USD40 !!! Just for 3pkgs of SPlenda, and 1 pkt of sugar twin ...
thats way too expensive.

thats also the reason why i decided its easier and cheaper to make my own real cheesecake, with 1/3 of the sugar.
So that the total carbs is lower.

Hubby and I are off induction. So i reckon, an occassional low sugar dessert shd be ok.