Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 20:41
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Proof Atkins not bad on kidneys

I've been LC for about 4 months. I'll post again after a year, but anyway..

Got results back from health fair blood draw. I am in the normal area for all things concerning liver, kidneys, thyriod, lipids, and bone

Calcium 9.8 Normal is 8.5 - 10.6
Potassium 4.0 3.5 - 5.5

Kidney Functions
AST 27 normal 0-40 (High levels could mean problems in heart, liver, kidney, spleen, lung, pancreas, muscle, red blood cells)

Creatine 0.8 normal 0.5-1.5 (plan to suppliment this once working out)
(Elivated creatine can mean kidney disease)

Cholesterol
Total: 162, HDL: 49, LDL: 99 Ratio 3.3 Triglycerides: 66 (0-149 normal)
My LDL is on border of high, butmy ratio os low enough I'm not worried

Protien levels are moderate, and gluclose is at 83

TSH is at 1.421 (so it hasn't destroid my thyriod either)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 20:48

Plan: Atkins-esque
Stats: 200/158/150 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Wow! Great numbers!

I'm lining up to get a bunch of blood work done and I'm curious to see how "normal" I turn out to be!

Considering I'm not usually abnormal, the only area in which I can really improve is in cholesterol, since it's a hereditarily high number, usually.

Being that my dad's family has a history of diabetes, I'm looking to beat that rap early on. I come from a family of bread-a-holics ... an aunt who would eat plain hamburger buns and a glass of milk before serving a big dinner and the rest of the group unable to leave a bread basket or donut alone for 7 seconds flat.

Congratulations on passing your tests and more power to the Low Carbers!

---Amy
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 20:50
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi LadyBelle,

Your blood work looks great.

I have just one little comment, and that is that "creatine" - which is the amino acid you may choose to supplement when working out) is not the same as "creatinine" which can be elevated in the presence of kidney disease. Technically speaking, creatinine is the inactive breakdown product of creatine.

Just thought you might like to know.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 21:24
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Hehe Thanks Rosebud. i was kind of wondering how supplimenting with something that wasn't that good for you be great for muscles. That makes me feel better

I don't think I started out with high numbers on anything, though it has been a few years since my last blood work. I think my cholesterol may of gone up slightly, but the ratio improved which is more important. I remember griping at the teacher though asking why if I had such great TSH levels and the extreamly skinny chick next to me had poor, why we looked the way we did :P
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 11:15
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

Congrats LadyBelle!
I'm a nurse and get crap all the time from my co-workers about how I'm messing up my health for the sake of quick weight loss and lowfat is the healthy way to go..blah..blah..blah. It is so nice to see results like yours! My cholesterol and electrolytes also returned within normal limits - with my LDL lower but still elevated and all ratios normal. I'll take the trade off!
Again, Congrats!