Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 22:23
Registered Member

Plan: My own custom blend
Stats: 275/254/125 Female 5'2
BF:Plenty, want some?
Progress: 14%
Arrow Another new TDC member

Hello to all!

My name is Nancy and I have about 135lbs to lose, so I guess I fit in here rather nicely. I've been lurking on the board for a while now and reading posts and so I already feel like I know many of you. Those of us who are super-sized (and believe me, 260lbs on a 5'2" small frame makes me look huge) have some very special challenges to face. It's easier to deal with those things when you're among folks who understand what you're going through and can offer the kind of support and encouragement you need for the long haul. And it will be a long journey I know, because though there's finally some light at the end of the tunnel for me, it still looks like a pinprick from here. But somehow, by hell or high water, I'm going to get there this time.

I have been so very impressed with the courage and openess of this group that I had to get right in here and post. My general board introduction is up and I've started a journal, and now I'm raring to get more deeply involved. Weight loss is a lonely journey for me because I am the only one in my household or among my close friends who is still actively working at it. Some of them need to, some don't, but most of them aren't even making an effort anymore and no one wants to talk about it as much as I do. And I'm sure I don't have to tell you all the negative things that uninformed and jealous folks say ablout the LC WOE. It gets rough out there sometimes.

This is far from my first attempt to lose the excess weight I'm carrying - I've been obese most of my life and have dieted off and on since age 12. Sometimes I did well for a while, sometimes I crashed and burned immediately after takeoff. It's gotten a lot harder over the years - I've given up in disgust for whole years at a time and focussed on other things. But this is the last attempt I'm going to make because I've finally found something that works for me and I'm ready to commit to this WOL for good. This time all the weight is coming off, and none of it is going back on.

Last edited by Lose2Win : Tue, Sep-23-03 at 22:25.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 22:44
I'll get there yet!

Plan: Atkins/nutritionist blend
Stats: 319/284.4/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 20%

Nancy,

Welcome to the boards! Your determination and commitment (and coming here for support and friendship) are definitely steps in the right direction down that long, not so lonely anymore tunnel!

Jude
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 04:14
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi, Girl! Good news on the side of LC is that since APRIL of this year most articles have been on our side of the debate.
Debate hell! What is to debate? We have an eating program that satisfies, promotes good health, and is easy to follow. They have some starve your butt off diet that triggers insulin levels to do tricks like a circus monkey! I think we win. I know I did! Pre-May of this year I was no longer living a "good" life. Today my butt is so full of life the fellas with the funny jackets may come to get me any day!

Good luck to you!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 08:29

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I think I hear the sirens *E*!!

Welcome, Nancy!

With your awesome attitude and positive outlook, I don't see anything getting in your way!

This is also my ump-teenth time at dieting, but by far it is the most satisfying, rewarding and successful. I know you too will continue to see great results!

Take care-
Nikki
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 08:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/184/140 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:lost track
Progress: 56%
Default Welcome!

Hi Nancy,

With your positive outlook and results you will definitely find success! I have found that this is by far the easiest "diet" I have ever been on. I consider this my WOL. All negative remarks aside, how much weight have "they" lost and kept off AND not starve to death? Jealousy will rear its ugly head- but nothing can make me take back the 78 lbs that I have lost.

So glad that you joined us here at TDC. I am looking forward to sharing the journey to health with you!

Be blessed,
Tanya
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 11:10

Stats: 300.5/260.0/130.0 Female 5'2"
BF:65%/58%/22%
Progress: 24%

Welcome Nancy!!!

I'm also 5'2" and at 274 lbs I can definitely relate! I'll have to hop over to your journal. Let us know if we can help.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 14:13
Contributing Member

Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

Hi Nancy, you are off to a great start! You have such a positive attitude. Your enthusiasm is contagious. Glad to have you with us.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 14:50
Registered Member

Smile

Gee whiz, thanks to all of you for the warm welcome. I feel right at home. It's great to have like-minded folks to take the journey with.

My immediate family has been fairly supportive of me though they are tired of hearing me preach the LC gospel. The boys aren't following my WOE but they are happy I'm doing well and they walk with me when they have the time. My #2DS showed me some tricks & tips with the Bowflex and hand weights. The DH has his issues as well with being about 40lbs overweight, the high blood lipids, and he's flirting with T2 diabetes if the sugar doesn't stay down. I've gotten him to somewhat half-heartedly embrace the LC WOE, but he's not consistant enough. He doesn't plan ahead or eat regular meals when he's busy working and winds up just grabbing whatever, so the sugar is up and down and all over the place... Well, one battle at a time I suppose.

The extended family is another issue - especially the MIL. We don't get along anyway, but she is famous for tormenting you about things you'd rather not discuss publically - like your current weight - or trotting out the junk food and waving it under your nose. That stuff doesn't tempt me anymore but it's annoying as heck to have to keep refusing it! The last time I was over there I had to say "no thanks" to an offer of soda three times in a row, and finally she just had to ask me 20 questions as to why I wouldn't drink any and was having icewater instead. I knew if I said anything connected with weightloss, as soon as we left she would be on the phone laying bets with other relatives about how soon I'd quit this diet and gain it all back. In a moment of quick and lucid thinking (I get those now and then ), I told her I was on a "special arthritis control plan" that didn't allow sugary and starchy stuff that might aggravate my pain response. In a roundabout way that's actually true because LCing does help with the pain and stiffness, but the better part of it was seeing the vague look come into her eyes and knowing it went right over her head. At least now she won't be tormenting me with nosy questions about how my diet is coming and why do I suppose I'm not losing more weight because so-and-so has lost twice as much as I have in half the time? That and all the stuff she says about always being able to eat whatever she wants (we call her Mrs. Planter's Cheese Balls) and still be a size 10. And believe me, even at 80 this woman can really pack it away - and most of it is junk too. I'm surprised her blood isn't like pudding!

There is one SIL (Frank's ds) I get along with very well, and since we both have weight issues, we try to support one another. She has somewhat embraced the LC WOE, but is having trouble making a commitment to change the entire WOL. She isn't making any progress weight-wise at all. I think she's having trouble losing the LF&HC mentality - we both suffered through that stage for years. I know she's still making a regular breakfast out of oatmeal and OJ and then LCing the rest of the day and wonders why she's fighting off the chocolate cravings by evening. I try to be supportive and non-judgemental but sometimes you just want to say, for crying out loud, wake up! Another SIL (not crazy about this one) has been LCing for several years but she's one of those who loves rich and sweet desserts. She plans huge bingey cheats around vacations and special occasions and eats everything sweet in sight, and then goes back to induction levels to get the weight off. She's never really lost the cravings and the weight yoyos up and down 15-20lbs, yet she'll freak over a shred of carrot in a salad. She's read DANDR and SB, but evidentally hasn't made it a WOL. It's just another round of dieting...

The one I really feel badly for is my DS. She went from years of being an almost anorexic 99-100 lbs and now weighs 181. She knows she has to do something because the back is going and she feels tired all the time, but won't even consider LC. It's not the bogus health-scare issues as much as convincing herself she could never live without ample bread, potatoes, rice, grits (she lives in FLA) and pasta. "What do you find to eat?" she'll ask me and then be amazed at what I tell her. "I couldn't do that - we'd go broke!" There are only 3 of them and both adults work, and my niece doesn't eat enough to fill a thimble (and it's 90% junk food too). There are 5 in my household, and the DH is the main support, though my mom and #1DS contribute a little here and there. We're not rich but we manage to eat well and it hasn't been a big hassle having me change my WOE. I'll just have to put it out of my mind I guess...

Forget about my friends - they're dear folks and caring, but they all think I'm going to keel over and die from this WOE. I get mini-lectures and concerned to talks, and they clip articles and send me emails that bash Atkins/LC all the time. Some of them are overweight or downright obese, some are not (one is very thin and T2 diabetic - go figure!) but they all have that same ingrained mental block about the fat and red meat being unhealthy - and they think that's all I eat. I've given up explaining it and just make it known that we have to agree to disagree. Some of it may be pure jealousy and the rest is probably a bad case of "expertitis" - that's when you trust what the "experts" say instead of what your own experience tells you is working. As soon as the lectures start, I tune out and have been known to end a phone call or visit if it gets too uncomfortable.

I really like my doc, though he's skeptical of LC, because he's willing to listen and learn and is supportive of any healthy weight changes I can manage to make. He's of the notion that we all get overweight simply because we eat too much and don't get enough exercise. He does agree that some folks are gentically pre-programmed to gain eating certain ways, but says that doesn't excuse our overeating - you just have to make a commitment and then get into some kind of structured plan to succeed. He's big on recommending Weight Watchers because of their middle-of-the-road nutritional approach and long term track record in the industry. Well, that's OK for some people but the WW WOE has never appealed to me and I know just as many folks who've yoyo'd with that as anything else. And it is true to an extent, we eat too much and move too little but as an internist he should realize that there's a lot more going on than that. There's a root cause for obesity that goes beyond willpower and slow metabolism and as a lifelong sufferer I can attest to the wild blood sugar swings and the compulsiveness of the food cravings. The recommended HC/LF diet they're all touting never worked for me, and only made things worse. Though he's only seen me briefly a couple of times he has applauded the weight I've already lost and told me to keep up the good work. I will be having a physical again next summer, and I can't wait to waltz in there significantly lighter and in better shape than I was in my 20's. My last bloodwork (pre-LC) was fine and everything looked good - the next one should be awesome.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 15:52
"Hopeless Romantic"

Plan: 000000000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00000
BF:
Progress: 26%

Nancy, so nice to see someone else has alot to say such as I. You seem to really be on the right track and will succeed, I know it. As for people around you, I try to just keep my thought in my head because people feel threatened when someone seems more in control than them. I just say that what I'm having is what i want no dfferent than if you WERE eating the wrong food. No one has to know. Support around you is really critical but if they aren't, that just fuels me to dig in my heels even stronger; i am kind of stubborn! Why should someone else be in charge of your health and food habits?? You are in charge of YOU AND NO ONE ELSE. wELCOM AND VISIT MY JOURNAL TO SEE WHAT I HAVE BEEN DOING. gOOD LUCK!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 18:59
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Hi Nancy,

I'm glad you joined us. I forestalled the nay-sayers around me by dealing with them the same way you dealt with your mother-in-law. I didn't tell anyone except my husband that I was low carbing, and if anyone made a comment about why I wasn't eating something I either said that I didn't want it or that I was having a problem with my blood sugar and was trying to control it by changing the way I ate. By the time everyone figured out what I was doing, I had lost too much weight for them to dare to attack me (although a few of them do occasionally sneak in snide comments). I also decided not to worry about what anyone else was eating. I think we lead best by examples and everyone who knows me can see how I am eating and how sucessful I have been. It's up to them whether or not they choose to follow my example and I would never suggest it to them or pass judgement on them for not doing it -- they know what they can handle.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 19:20
Registered Member

Thanks Muweek. Yes I'm afraid I always have a lot to say, part of being a writer I guess. I will be checking out your journal and a lot of others too, because I love to see what other folks are up to.

We're 2 of a kind with the "dig in the heels" thing I guess, because that's exactly how I feel! The more they doubt me the stronger my desire to show them they were wrong. I have this daydream of showing up at some in-law gathering or running into folks I haven't seen in a while, and watching their eyes bug out because they can't believe it's me. I think you're right about the threatened part in many cases, because people are used to me as I am and maybe there's a little subconcious fear that I'll surpass them somehow. As if that's what it's all about! Even my DH, who is basically behind me all the way, seems a bit uneasy about my current preoccupation. Of course he's seen me crash and burn so many times, maybe he's more concerned that I'm setting myself up for a big disappointment again.

Good point about the "want" too, because this WOE isn't some kind of penitence for being fat. This was my desire; I want to do this because it helps me regain control of my eating habits, and that way I'll be able to be thinner and healthier. It's funny because if you have a specific medical problem and say, "I can't eat that because I have XYZ...," or you have a religious belief that precludes you from consuming something, people will mostly leave you alone. They may grumble or shake their heads privately, but they usually don't make a fuss. But say, "I decided to cut out bread, potatoes, and pasta and they get all antsy! Are the PTB doing that great a job of selling the HC lifestyle? Or is it just that people are so used to eating that stuff, anything that deviates is considered taboo? Jeez, you'd think it was a personal insult or something!

Last edited by Lose2Win : Wed, Sep-24-03 at 19:22.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 19:39
Registered Member

Thanks Liz for the words of encouragement. I am doing my best not to be preachy to others, but it's not easy sometimes. I'm not someone who sees myself as a messiah, so usually they bring it up, and I have to answer why I won't eat even just a bite of the cake (I baked it for you!) or have a sandwich (But it's healthy - whole wheat bread and lowfat mayo!). I've gotten around it OK most of the time, but there are those folks like the MIL who just can't let it go. As soon as she and the pseudo-Atkins SIL notice the weight loss, there will be some questions fired at me.

It's kind of embarrassing too because that particular SIL tried to sell me on Atkins several years ago and I just wouldn't listen. Of course, she's always had this know-it-all attitude toward my weight problem. She and the MIL had ganged up on me (at a picnic no less) and waded in with a 2 party approach to "let's fix Nancy's weight problem." Well, I wasn't ready to hear the message and didn't like the messengers either, so I pooh-poohed the whole LC thing and blew them off. Fortunately their sudden concern for my welfare was about as long-lasting as a prune and bran danish for breakfast, and I haven't heard anything about it in ages.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 21:15
Registered Member

Stats: 323/293/200 Male 73"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Nancy:

Welcome to our "club". You'll find everyone here to be very helpful and we've all been there before. I've been part of this for only a few weeks and I find this group to be very inspirational.

- Barry
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 01:00
Registered Member

Thanks Barry. I'd been lurking for a while and I knew by what I read that I just had to get involved. These are great folks!