Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 16:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 262/205/180
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Day 4 of LC, Just want to share my experiences so far...

Hi all! Well, here I am on day 4, and this low-carb lifestyle is ... *interesting.* I've been eating a lot of chicken breasts, some ground beef, cheese, eggs, I've found that dill pickle spears make a good, flavorful snack. Any tips for mixing it up and keeping the food interesting on induction? I've felt a *tiny* bit pf boredom creeping in, but I have staved it off...any good, *really* simple stuff you can reccomend that won't make me fall off the wagon? I'm single, I cook/eat by myself, so I cook very little, and I keep it extremely simple. I don't get fancy.

These carb/sugar cravings are KILLING ME!!! I have held my ground so far though - I guess one good thing is that I have never felt a real difference this early into a diet before! I think I have lost a pound, so *yay!*

All in all, I think this is a great, positive change. I have written down all of the reasons why I am doing my body a favor by changing to this WOL. When I am hit by cravings, I grab a bottle of water, go over my list, and it helps.

The only downfalls so far? Lets just say there has been a lot of tummy upset ...

Please lend any tips/hints or share your experiences here!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 16:34

Stats: 262/205/180
BF:
Progress: 70%

One other thing ... day 4 and I am stil HUNGRY all the time!!! Is this ok? What gives? I have a hard time fending off the "guilties," I feel as though I am eating all the time!!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 17:58

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Are you eating your veggies? Didn't see any in your list. If you are hungry, eat more protein & fat. Oil, butter, mayo, bacon grease, LC salad dressings - all permissable and NECESSARY on this WOE.

Take a look through the Recipe Threads for a ton of meal ideas - some of them are excellent!

Hope this helps
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 18:12

Plan: 40/35/25
Stats: 160/160/155 Female 5'10
BF:25/23/18
Progress: 0%

Hi,
dont know how strict you are being with the induction.. I see that you are modifying.. but the pickles are probably not good to eat (in induction anyway).. the salt in them could cause a stall and interfere with ketosis.

If you follow the book as it outlines for induction you will see the weight change for sure.. keep the cheese level down for induction, and NO nuts yet.... I ate pepperoni sticks alot and boiled eggs.. and YES, surf around for recipes in the recipe section.. theres lots of good ones!

cheers,
j
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 21:28
Registered Member

Stats: 145/138/120
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Don't let yourself get hungry!

That seems to be the key. Make sure you are eating enough and when you start feeling hungry, eat a little protein and fat. This is the trick to beating the cravings for sweets and starches!
Good luck on your journey! We are all there with you!
Waldorfmom
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 07:22
Registered Member

Stats: 241/179/182 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 105%

Aridane,

I am only on day three of induction. For some reason I have not had any hunger or serious cravings, with the possible exception of a small desire for something sweet after the evening meal. I have decided to have three cups of coffee a day without sweetners, as a find that using a small amount of cream gives the coffee a fuller texture.

I may be eating slightly too much cheese, however, even with my three cups of salad greens, I am around 17 grams of carbs each day as calulated by fitday.com.

I am drinking a huge amount of water, around 15 cups a day, but it doesnt feel as though I am forcing it.

I havent yet weighed myself, I am committed to resist the urge to do so more often than once a week, however I FEEL that something in the right directionis happening.

I am finding that a variety in meats may be the answer. Pre Atkins, my meat of choice was sausages, now I am having salmon, chicken, pork, prawns, steak and lamb.

Good luck. As we are both new starters, I hope we can keep in touch through the journey.

Cheers
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 07:41
Registered Member

Stats: 184/184/145
BF:36%
Default Hey Notty

I just read your reply to Adrianne, it sounds like all of us are around the same stage in Induction. I am on day 4 and I still have terrible cravings and I havent given in yet. I noticed you mentioned something about counting your carbs thru fitday.com?? How does that work?? So far I have been trying to keep track of my carbs in my head and I fear that maybe I havent been completely accurate. Also, did you notice a large decreas in your energy?? I feel so sluggish and I have zero energy to work out, or do anything for that matter...Just wondering if this normal in the beginning. Hope to hear from you soon!! Carrie
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 07:44
Registered Member

Stats: 184/184/145
BF:36%
Default oops, its Aridane

I just wanted to say sorry for saying your name wrong, I read it quickly and thought it said Adrianne...sorry!!