Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 06:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 191/176/145
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default advice needed

I have been on Atkins since 12/26/02. I have met my short term goal of losing 31 lbs. I am going to Cancun tomorrow with my daughter on a senior trip. How do you all handle a vacation?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 06:32
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Big congratulations on your progress!

I'd say - eat things that are absolutely safe: meat, fish, shellfish, veggies etc. I've never been to Cancun but from my experience so far restaurants are happy to provide an alternative like sallad instead of rice, extra veggies instead of potaoes and so on.
I hope someone else can help you more on this.
Have a great vacation!
Alina
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 06:48
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

This is probably horrible advice-but what I do when I go out of town is just try to maintain, I don't worry about losing anything. That means that I do lighten up on myself a bit, because I know that my choices there are not going to be the same when I am home. I do try to eat salads as much as possible and I do avoid sweets-but if I have a really small piece of bread or I eat Mexican, I don't stress over it too much.

I went to Tempe, Az for a conference recently and just had it my head to maintain what I had lost. I did pretty well on the food front, but certainly not as good as I do at home. BUT I did walk around much more than I do here. When I got back home I found I had lost a pound.

My main trick when out of town is to eat half what the restaurants give me. The portions are usually so huge, that half is fine for satiation.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 06:51

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Do not use your vacation as an excuse to stray from this WOE or else you'll return from Cancun with more than a tan. I do not know what conveniences you will have in your hotel room and since you are traveling to Mexico, it'll be more difficult to find LC products at the supermarket. Like Alina said, eat absolutely safe items. Will the hotel you are staying at (or one nearby) have a big buffet dinner? I find big buffets are very LC-friendly. You just choose to leave the refined sugar, flour, and starches off your plate. For lunch, most places have salads. For breakfast, simple eggs and bacon should do the trick. Maybe a local store will have small bags of nuts suitable for snacks. Maybe, you should bring a bunch of small, empty zip-locs with you, so if you do find good snacks, you can put them in them. Also, you may want to pack some LC bars in your suitcase for snacks. Have a great time. Happy LCing!