Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 22:44

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 176/165/120
BF:
Progress:
Smile Diet Rite Cola

I just tried Diet Rite cola today because it is made with splenda.
It tastes wonderful! It is also 0 sodium and 0 caffeine, and of course 0 sugar and carbs.

I only drink these in moderation, and still make sure I get plenty of water. But, this drink tastes almost too good to be true! I was wondering if anyone else had tried it, or if anyone has had any negative experience with splenda?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 08:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 120/115/105
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi There! I have tried the Diet Rite flavors Orange and White Grape. They are wonderful and I only have some after I have had all of my water for the day! I have noticed that after drinking tons of water, the soda is too sweet for me. Weird huh? Especially coming from someone who used to drink loads of Diet soda only a couple of weeks ago!

I haven't had any problems with Splenda but I use it only in the strictest of moderations ( I am still a newbee and don't want to mess anything up! KISS right?)

Good Luck!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 13:02

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%

I thought we weren't supposed to drink carbonation. I found that i felt much better after going off all carbonated drinks, including seltzer. Maybe I read that somewhere else? I've read so many things about diet in my lifetime, that I'm overfull of information.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 22:46

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 176/165/120
BF:
Progress:
Hi!

the Atkins book(s) say that diet soft drinks are allowed, as long as there is no caffeine and no carbs. In the most recent book, he suggests only soft drinks with splenda.

I drink more water and tea than soft drinks, but I do like an occasional soft drink.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 19:04

Plan: Atkins / Protein Power
Stats: 215/152/150 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Cola w/sucralose (splenda)

I can't seem to find a caffeinated diet cola made with splenda instead of aspartame. Trying to ween my mother off of Diet Coke b/c of the aspartame, but the only diet cola I can find that is made with splenda is Diet Rite, but that doesn't have any caffeine. Any ideas?

Thanks
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 19:17

Stats: 229/229/180 Female 73"
BF:Mostly
Progress: 0%

Diet Rite Cola made with sucralose. Try it with a squeeze of lemon.

I only get one if I finish my water for the day, although the sight of a can of it can cause a Pavlovian response.

whoops, just noticed that you WANT a caffienated drink, out of curiosity, why?

Last edited by FionaMcB : Mon, Jun-23-03 at 19:30.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 19:55

Stats: 210/150/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 92%

Diet RC is made with Splenda too and it has caffeine.

Last edited by Angel66668 : Mon, Jun-23-03 at 19:56.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 20:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206.5/169.0/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 61%

From the DietRite website:

We offer a variety of delicious flavors — perfect for your active lifestyle. Taste for yourself how good aspartame-free, caffeine-free, sodium-free and calorie-free can be!
'

ingredients
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 02:02

BF:

Thank you for your replies. I was looking for something specifically WITH CAFFEINE, so I guess Diet RC is it. The only problem will be finding a place that sells it.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 05:51

Stats: 206.5/169.0/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 61%

I have also been looking for soft drinks with splenda/caffeine combo. Just not out there I guess. I have an occasional Dt Coke or Pepsi. There is also Iced Tea!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 11:14

Stats: 159/149/129
BF:
Progress: 33%

--------->Patiently waiting for the day when Coca Cola makes all their diet products with Splenda.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 16:52
Registered Member

Stats: 170/160/135
BF:
Progress: 29%

I am just not sold on the aspartame thing. I drink diet drinks all the time (not all the time, but you know ;-) )..... anyway, when i started doing the atkins diet, i obviously read about aspartame. by my nature, i am skeptical of everything, so i looked into it. It has been repeatedly researched, and from everything i read, everything found it safe. Most of the fears came from a study in the early 90's that was inconclusive. that led to tons of other tests and they all found it safe. It is not linked to any long term things either as far as i know (I am not an expert, just very research oriented by nature). anyway, i dont think it is everything everyone makes it out to be. IMHO, if you think it is giving you headaches or whatever, dont drink them. me, i like a diet soda every once in a while....... but what do i know
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 18:38

Stats: 200/188/180
BF:
Progress: 60%

Have you ever heard of xs energy drink? it has no carbs no sugar and only 8 calories, and has tons of b vitamins
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 19:09

Stats: 229/229/180 Female 73"
BF:Mostly
Progress: 0%

Bacon, my husband and I both go to the same neurologist, he told us that anyone who has any neuro deficits should not be consuming asparatame, he gave us articles to read backing up what he was telling us. Also, you can't cook with it, it doesn't stand up to heat like sucralose does.

If you haven't any problems with the stuff, more power to you, but the final reason for me is that it makes things taste awful to us. That's why we have so many choices, I guess, my neighbor thinks Splenda is bad tasting, to me it tastes like sugar.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 20:17

BF:

Agreed, FionaMcB, there is a considerable body of evidence that there are some serious potential health risks w/aspartame. And, for the record, as someone stated earlier DIET RC COLA is a diet cola WITH CAFFEINE that is made WITH SPLENDA. So, it does exist. It just isn't always the easiest thing to find.