Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 21:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/168/140
BF:
Progress: 55%
Talking Living LC promotes life changes

Hi all,

I have been writing for months that since I have become LC that I was going to participate in a Triathlon.

Well today was the day... I did my triathlon and it would not have been possible had I not chosen this WOL. I owe today's success to the changes that I made when I became LC. I didnt win, but that wasnt my goal - the goal was to finish.

I was always too fat and too outta shape to do any real sports and now with this WOL I run,swim,bicycle and much much more. The workout gods all said basicly starve and carb up - And I say yeah as if that's really how this all works, um hello living proof of the contrary.

I probably sound like a dorky "Slimfast" commercial but when something feels so good you gotta just share.

The triathlon today 12/9 consisted of:
3.4 miles running
10.1 miles bicycling
75 meters swimming
time to complete: 1:53:?? (hr:min:sec)

Who knew I could become a triathlete - what will you become?

Shannon
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 00:21

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default way to go

wow shannon!
you are amazing. i've followed your story since joining this site on october, and i must say, you are amazing.
congrats on your triathlon.
regards,
brenda
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 00:42

Stats: 125/121.5/110
BF:
Progress: 23%

congratulations! a triathlon is an amazing accomplishment. as is your success on the WOE. your news and progress inspires those like me that are just beginning. keep up the good work!!!

perhaps an ironman is in your future
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 01:02

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

I'm speechless in awe. A Triathalon. I can't imagine having the energy to enter one, much less train and compete. Congratulations, Shannon. You must feel absolutely terrific -- and you deserve it What's your next goal?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 02:09

Stats: 147/126/119
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Wow!

Go Shannon! Go Shannon!

You're an inspiration to us all!

Miraculously speechless in awe...

#6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 08:03

Plan: Schwarzbein prin
Stats: 158/155/120
BF:
Progress:

Whoa, that is great! What did it feel like? Were you exhausted (but exhilarated)? You must have gotten in the most wonderful shape to accomplish this! Congratulations!

P.S. If I had a girl, I was going to name her Shannon. I have two boys.

YB
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 11:30
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Cool Way to go!!

When I grow up, I want to be like you, Shannon!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 18:34

Plan: Atkins/ Modified BFL
Stats: 212/174/23
BF:
Progress: 40%

Shannon, omg you're amazing!

I can't imagine achieving a goal like that...how rewarding! Thank you for sharing and inspiring all of us

...hmmm what will my goal be?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 19:25

BF:
Default Ah Shucks You Guys...

What a fan club - you guys are great and thanks for responding.

Well here is how it felt. Better than anything I could have imagined. When I started the run - I cried, when I finished the run and started outside the gates on my bike - I cried, when I got to the transition area and my friends and family were standing there cheering me on - even though I thought I was going to pass out from exhaustion it was a happy and truly fulfilling moment.

I have my shirt and my number: MY NAME IS SHANNON AND I AM A TRIATHLETE. Ironman competition just try and keep me away from it 2003.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Shannon
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 21:21

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Amazing!

You are Amazing!! Congratulations on making your dream come true! What a wonderful inspiration you are.....for all of us here in the forum and for everyone that knows you out there in the real world! Thanks for sharing your story so that I too could be inspired by you!

One question...I'd be interested in knowing how you trained for it?

Marlaine
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 23:06
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Congrats Shannon, that's so wonderful.

Especially that it was such a deeply personal goal for you, and not always smooth sailing. I'm grateful to you for sharing this .. I've been needing some special inspiration and this just filled the bill.

May you have continued success in all your endeavours ... Ironman indeed!

Doreen
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 00:59

BF:
Default How to train for a triathlon

Well as a former couch potato - I had to make up my mind to get up off my butt.

I started by walking early in the morning with my grandmother who is 73 and easily lapped me. Then I got on the treadmill it was a slow pace and I did maybe 10-15 minutes. I did this 3 times a week for approx 2-3 weeks and then I made the jump to get a personal trainer.

It was a love hate relationship, she loves me because I pay her handsomely to punish me and I hate her because she punishes me and I pay her. We do weight training, but the cardio stuff is still up to me.

I started going to the gym 3-4 days a week for walking(cardio) plus my 2 training sessions with the trainer. Then the better I got at walking the more it hurt my shins, so I started the elliptical machine. First I started with the legs part only and then I started with the arms and legs.

Once I was doing well with my arms and legs I started riding the stationary bicycle. Keep in mind you don't have to do these things quickly, you must start small and work until you feel stronger. I then out of pure insanity joined a triathlon racing group and they have group workouts for swimming and such, so I started going. Of course with them I am by far the weakest link but I don't give up. That is the whole key to being successful - don't let yourself talk you out of doing what you know you should do to accomplish a goal.

I hope this helps - thanks for asking Marlaine

Shannon