Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 18:47

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 150/150/129
BF:
Progress: 0%
Angry day 14, gained- not lost

day 14 and have gained weight- lost nothing. pants tighter, scale higher (2 lbs). have done atkins before for a month, and had lost about 15 lbs. Do not want to give up yet, and am trying to be even stricter- don't want to gain even more weight going back to eating carbs. don't know what i'm doing wrong this time. not even eating salads. has anyone else had this problem? waiting to get body opus and start following that program- but very miserable with the weight gain. am I possibly eating too much? feel like a pig eating fatty hamburger and chicken wings all week long- have been in ketosis the entire time- with no result.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 18:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/185/145
BF:
Progress: 33%

Sorry your not getting the results you want yet - have you tried logging what you are eating into fitday?

Any chance your TOM is coming? - from what I've read here that does cause some weight gain. I haven't been on here long so I don't have the insight and knowledge that most of the others do.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 19:11
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

How about posting a menu so other people can see what you are eating? Also, post whatever exercise you are doing.

Atkins requires that you eat a minimum of three cups of salad, or two cups of salad and one cup of cooked vegetables, each day. Since you aren't doing that, you're really not following the plan. There may also be other ways you are not following the plan that people can spot if you post what you eat.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 19:39

BF:

here's what i have been eating-
hamburgers with cheese- two slices of tomato some shredded lettuce, non battered wings with blue cheese, eggs with bacon or sausage, sugar free jello with whipped topping and nuts- 1/2 cup walnuts, which I believe is 8 grams carbs, clams and crab legs with butter. I know it was a cheat- i had a few michelob ultras- but not enough to reach 20 grams carbs.
I'm not exercising yet- am still waiting for body opus to come from amazon.com- and am going to follow their workout program. i was doing alot of heavy weight lifting before I got on atkin's last time. but had to stop when i went on the diet because i was too tired. I haven't gone back to the gym since i've been on it this time- but am starting up in a week or two. I kind of made the assumption that i'd lose weight with or without exercise as long as I was in ketosis. So- i'm going to stick with it- just don't like eating so much fat and seeing weight gain. is fit day free? or expensive???
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 19:50

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

The beer and nuts are NOT allowed on induction and probably are the reason you didn't lose anything. The carb count on alcohol isn't the only factor, it's the fact the body must then metabolize the alcohol instead of burning fat. My only advice is to cut the nuts and beer and do induction.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 19:55

Stats: 236.5/223/120
BF:
Progress: 12%

I agree with Mrsschmelz. You need to follow induction to the letter.

It's only the first two weeks, and it has a purpose. You will be detoxing and taking the first step to breaking the carb addiction cycle.

Also, if your wings are commercially prepared they probably have sugar and msg.

I would suggest you start a journal and post your food. That way you can get input from the more experienced members.

Finally, get moving. You don't need the Amazon.com thing to start. Just walk around the block, or put on MTV and dance around your living room!!! The point is to move and have fun within your fitness level.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Roberta : Sat, May-10-03 at 20:00.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 20:03

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

I see a few things that could be troublespots: nuts and alcohol are no-nos on Induction. Nuts can be introduced into your diet AFTER Induction. I know the Michelob Ultras were not enough to reach 20g carbs, but that is not the point. Your body will burn the alcohol first before burning any fat. Another question, was the whipped topping, whipped from fluid cream yourself or was it Cool Whip? I ask, because Cool Whip is also a no-no all throughout Atkins, because it contains sugar. To do Induction, you really need to do a clean Induction. Yes, people out there do cheat, but not during Induction. Were the crab legs real or processed? Processed contain high levels of salt. I also did not see a lot of vegetables. That's JMHO at a glance at your intake.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 20:32

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
not even eating salads.

Yep, that looks like a problem to me. You need them for fiber, to keep your digestive system regular. If not, you could easily be feeling bloated and gain a few pounds just from unprocessed food in your system.

So far all the suggestions made are good ones!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 21:06

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Wink If it ain't broke don't fix it

You said that you are even stricter with your diet that before. It isn't necessary to be stricter. It is imprtant to be consistant. When you do lose the weight don't think of it as if the diet is over. you should continue the LC lifestyle after the weight is gone.

Black57
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 21:58

Plan: My Own
Stats: 285/268/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Everyone above has given excellent advice. I would agree that if you are not getting in your 3 cups of veggies per day, but are getting carbs from nuts and alcohol, you are not really following induction.

The first time I went on induction, I used aspartame and didn't drink nearly enough water.

I began a new "clean" induction which I have been following ever since, and I now drink about 100oz of water a day. It has made a big difference for me - my progress is slow but it IS progress.

I also starting going to Curves 3x a week, and I can feel the inches coming off - my clothes are much loser.

Don't give up! Resolve to begin a fresh, clean induction, following the induction plan exactly for at least two weeks, and see what happens.

Also, once you start exercising, remember: if you are building muscle, you may be losing inches but not pounds because muscle weighs more than fat.

Finally, keep coming here for support. It really makes a difference.
Hang in there! We're all routing for you!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 22:21

BF:

Thanks for all the advice- I didn't expect such fast response. I'll keep up with it- and will cut out the nuts and beer I'll try to keep the boad updated- and will definitely post if I have any more problems. Thanks!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 17:00

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:

I sometimes will be in ketosis for a solid week, and get really bloated and gain an inch on my waist/hips. I couldn't figure it out until I realized I wasn't going to the bathroom every day, if you get my drift.

I started fiber supplements and it really helped.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 18:40
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

www.fitday.com is a free site!

I agree with them about the nuts and alcohol.

Eat your veggies!

Beth