Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 19:26
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Thumbs up TDC President's Fitness Challenge

TDC President's Fitness Challenge

The President's Challenge is a program that encourages people to make being active part of their everyday lives. No matter what your activity and fitness level, the President's Challenge can help motivate you to improve. You don't have to live in the U.S. to participate, this is a program for everyone!

Here's a link to find out more: The President's Fitness Challenge

This is a special thread dedicated to support members of the Triple Digits Club, women and men who are (or were) looking to lose 100+ lbs. Our group challenge officially starts August 2nd, 2004 and you can choose to participate as long as you like.

How to join ...

1) Go to http://www.presidentschallenge.org/...individual.aspx

2) Fill out the registration form.

* Be sure to include the following info during registration

-----> Your Group ID Number: 14000

-----> Use your forum ID as your Group Member Number (i.e., I'm 'AntiM')

3) After registering, start logging your activities. As you log activities you'll be able to track your progress toward winning a President's Challenge Award or Medal. (These cost a few bucks, but are a great reward for a job well done.)

Let's get moving!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 21:31

Plan: Atkins/LC e-meal
Stats: 282.6/234.6/180 Female 69"
BF:41.72/34.64/26.6
Progress: 47%

Do you think we should record our activities and points earned each week similar to what we have done in the past?
Kelly
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 00:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/336/179 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I've already logged my activities for past two days....Its super easy to use. I think it will be a good tool to keep me motivated.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 04:06

Plan: Low Calorie/Low Carb
Stats: 208/175/133 Female 62
BF:32%
Progress: 44%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly_L
Do you think we should record our activities and points earned each week similar to what we have done in the past?
Kelly
Kelly, Personally, I'd be happy to just put down my points scored, rather than record everything again.

Teresa, I agree it's very easy to use but some of the points scored are harder than others. 2.5 to 5 miles per hour is quite a difference in my walking pace!

Monika, are we going to record our weight and measurements again?

Yesterday, I weighed in at 187 pounds.

Started the challenge on Saturday 31st July.

Last edited by Magpies : Tue, Aug-03-04 at 04:07. Reason: spelling!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 05:10
Bad Girl Queen

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 388/388/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking

This is sooo cool. I too, think it will motivate me to get moving and stay moving.....not that ya'll don't motivate me too, but I need EXTRA motivation, . I'm including my measurements (in case we're doing that). They were taken 1 week ago, and I get weighed in today so I will edit my weight accordingly.

Weight: 346

Now (7/28/04)
Bust 55
Arm 18.25
Waist 50
Hips 65
Thigh 33
Calf 23.25

I gotta get in the habit of getting back to the forum each day.........Ya'll have a Terrific Tuesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Today I suppose will be a rest day (and probably Tuesday will always be a rest day) since I have class right after work. Maybe I'll figure something out................

Hugs~

Hugs~
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 08:31
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

heya ya'll
I am here though how "here" I am is yet to be determined having one of them weeks
I will get my weight and measurements on my normal weigh in day (thursday) and post them.. i refuse to look at the scale today .. i went out to eat for my birthday yesterday and while it was low carb i am sure it made my weight go up lol
I will post my points, weight, & measurements weekly. BF% I will post every few weeks probably. I just signed up at curves gonna try them out this week see if i like it & still doing pilates and dance of course
Have a wondeful day!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 09:27

Crysania

Happy belated Birthday!!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 09:30
Contributing Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 212/167/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hey Monika and everyone!! I joined the Pres. Challenge last week and today I will get my first star!!! Yippee!!!! What a fun way to keep motivated!!!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 09:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpies

Teresa, I agree it's very easy to use but some of the points scored are harder than others. 2.5 to 5 miles per hour is quite a difference in my walking pace.

No kidding
I was doing about 4 miles per hour yesterday and that's considered very fast yet on the site it's called moderate........Yikes
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 09:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/336/179 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hey girls - I sort of noticed that myself....are any of you still planning on using Fitday too?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 09:55

I'll keep using fitday because it gives me a calorie burned count and for some reason I think I need to know that
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 11:30

Plan: Low Calorie/Low Carb
Stats: 208/175/133 Female 62
BF:32%
Progress: 44%

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysania
heya ya'll
I am here though how "here" I am is yet to be determined having one of them weeks
I will get my weight and measurements on my normal weigh in day (thursday) and post them.. i refuse to look at the scale today .. i went out to eat for my birthday yesterday and while it was low carb i am sure it made my weight go up lol
I will post my points, weight, & measurements weekly. BF% I will post every few weeks probably. I just signed up at curves gonna try them out this week see if i like it & still doing pilates and dance of course
Have a wondeful day!

Happy Birthday Crysania, hope you had a good one. Points weight and measurements sound good - I'll post on Friday as that's when I do my whole 175 challenge thing. Hve to see what it thinks of fencing - off to that in half an hour
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 12:38
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

thanks for the birthday wishes it was a good day even if no one but my mother remembered it was my birthday (my dad didn't even call me!)
does anyone know how to get the registration key for fitday PC if you lost it? i saved the program when i replaced my HD last week but I didn't get the regitsration code from my registry before wiping the old drive
I plan on logging everything in fitday daily like i was doing then every thursday when i take my measurements going and logging in to there site and putting everything i did according to fitday in ... saves a little time that way
welp I am off to do some stuff round the house ... kinda sucks having a 4 day weekend and no where to go or money to go anywhere! I spent all my extra cash durring tax free week on new clothes Its the first time i was able to walk into any store in the mall and have them have somthing in my size and for that matter not even be the largest size they have!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 13:46
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Smile Hi Folks!

Welcome Old and New Friends ~ I'm glad we're here together again ... and SweetieMae, I hope you'll enjoy this thread as motivating and supportive as we TDC Fitness Veterans have found the previous Challenges.

Happy Birthday Crysania! I hope it was a great one. And may each year prove healthier from here on out. (I can see it now ... at 98, you're the world's top Belly Dancer, teaching Pilates to 20 year olds and blowing their socks off! ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly

My personal opinion is that we should do whatever feels right ... I usually do small variations of the same thing week after week, so posting activities seems redundant. So here's my Plan Of Action (and point modification) for the time being:

Every other day: YMCA

---> I do 2-3 sets at the heaviest weight I can lift with proper form. I count the time as 'vigorous'.

---> The first time I tried the eliptical trainer, I was dying after 10 seconds but kept going for 1 minute. My heart rate travels to the highest zone I want to push it to, not higher, but my goodness my legs protest. Sunday I pushed myself and was able to make it to 2 minutes. I'm going to count it as 'cardio machine - vigorous' and since the lowest amount of time you can log is 5 minutes, I'm claiming that. Right now it's the most intense thing I'm doing - even more so than weights; I feel it should count. But by the time I make my certificate, I want to be able to really do a full 5 minutes.

---> I bike 30+ minutes at fat burning pace (118 BPM for me, about 14 MPH). I love the LifeCycle because all I need to do is hold the hand grip and the bike will adjust intensity to keep me in that zone. No thinking required! I count this as moderate.

---> I typically just treadmill 2.5 MPH and at an inclide of 5% or less for 15 minutes (+5 min cool down) - I'm counting that as 'Light', which seems right.

{Like you guys, I think there is a big gap between energy used for walking 2.5 - 5.0 MPH! To me, 4 MPH is almost jogging.}

---> I go to the pool after my workout to *really* stretch and relax. I like to go to the deep end (which for the first time in my life means treading water and not floating!) and work the full range of motion for my joints. (I'm calling this Stretching - light.)

Every other day
---> WAP (1-3 miles) - counting as Aerobics, Moderate
---> bike 5+ minutes (I'll count only if it's moderately intense)

Everyday Stuff
---> Unusually intense Housework
---> Mowing the lawn (push mower)

Not Bothering To Count
---> Rebound 5+ minutes - very mellow "health bounce"
---> Light bike riding

I'm going to keep track of my points here each week so when I'm ready to work towards my bronze and gold medals (I'm thinking ahead), I'll know more about my pattern. I think I'll also post when I make my weekly star.

I only take measurements on the 15th of each month, so I'll keep that separate, but it's worth noting that my weight yesterday (and today) was 231.5 - up 1.5 from Sunday ... it's right before TOM, so hopefully that'll whoosh right on out of here. (Plus, I only got about 5 hours of sleep last night and it was all fragmented - sick kitty in the house )

I've got to run now, but I'll be back soon!

Happy Day

PS - I use FitDay, but only to check nutritional data.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 19:53
"Slaying My Demons"

Plan: Keto
Stats: 262.2/189.2/155 Female 5'8"
BF:Hell Yes!
Progress: 68%

Hi Everybody,
I'm new to the TDC Fitness Challenge.
This new Challenge sounds like a lot of fun and I'm really looking forward to earning a medal. I was a total failure at this when I was a kid and I never got a badge for the President's Challenge. I'm thrilled that I can do it now and not even have to throw a baseball.
One thing that I have found with their web site is that you want to be aware of the time when you log in. I'm in Alaska and I suspect they are back east. I logged in last night for the first time somewhere around 8:30 or 9:00 pm. As far as the site was concerned it was the 3rd already. When I tried to enter my exercise for today it logged with yesterdays time. I was able to remove that time from yesterdays but I can't log it for the 2nd because as far as they are concerned I joined on the 3rd. I guess I'll just have to always be one day ahead of myself as there doesn't seem to be a way to adjust for this. Oh well!
I weigh myself once a week on Sundays. I can work on getting my measurements and post it tonight or tomorrow.
This is going to be so much fun! I'm so glad I saw the posting about this so I can jump in and set a goal.
Thank you AntiM!
I look forward to getting to know all of you,
Signey