Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 12:23
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 227/???/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default So I hear there's a stall in the fourth week??

Hi, from what I've heard, a lot of people tend to stall in their fourth week. Now, I'm ending my second week so I don't really have to worry about it yet, but I was wondering something.

Is there anyone out there who DIDN'T stall in the 4th week?

The reason I'm asking is, I'm going out of town on the 25th (toward the end of my 4th week) to visit my dad who moved to Michigan last year, before I gained a lot of weight. He's seen me twice since then, so he's known I've gained it and I now weigh about 5 pounds less than when he last saw me. One of my big motivations for the diet (along with the #1 reason of doing it for myself), but I also want to make my dad proud of me. He's struggled with thyroid problems like me and is very overweight because of them. So I kind of want to surprise him a little with my weight loss. I know I'm of course not going to lose it all by the time I go up there. I just want him to see a difference. As you can probably tell, I love my dad to death and his opinion of me matters a lot. I know he won't look down on me even if I weighed a million pounds.. but still... I'm sure you understand.

Another question I have is for those of you who did stall. Did you stay on Induction or go on to Ongoing Weight Loss? I plan on staying on Induction until I get really close to my goal weight.

Any insight on the stall would be much appreciated. I'm kind of wishing that I would've read the New Diet Revolution book when it was given to me 6 months ago instead of sticking it on my bookshelf... heh
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 12:45
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Hi,

I do understand your motivation, but I'm afraid there is no 'one size fits all' answer to your question. It's simply impossible to predict your weight loss and it's speed or pattern. I've been on the forum for five months and haven't seen two people who are alike. It is common for the body to take a break after a huge weight loss, yes. It can happen in second, third, fourth week or after two months. The most important thing is to trust the plan, stick to it and be patient. Stall is only a stall when you don't lose any weight OR inches. Have you measured yourself before you started?
I'm not sure if you mean you really haven't read the book....but - please do. Don't think it's unimportant. It's mandatory.....

Best of luck to you!!!!

Alina
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 12:48
Contributing Member

BF:

No, I did read the book. I was just saying I wished I'd read it sooner than I did. Then I could've already lost weight.

I did measure myself. So I've got that. It's just hard to tell how many inches I've lost, because I have to put the measuring tape in the exact place I put it last time I measured or else it'll be off.

I was just wondering peoples' different experiences with their first stalls.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 12:55
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

OK, sorry....
I think your results so far are great. If you'll experience a short break in losing weight - the only thing is to go on! Everyone is having those breaks. I've had 8 weeks with no loss but dropped down one size. In fact, after almost five months, I lose weight once a month or less....
That is my experience. But I feel so good on this WOE so I will never quit, I was a major carb addict and felt miserable....so - no way back...

I hope you'll stay here with us, the support is so important....even if you hit a "stall", everyone does, talking to people might make it easier....

Take care

Alina
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 13:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Hi Missa,

I agree with Alina, there are no hard and fast rules. But I will tell you, for me at least, every time I stall, it's because I'm not eating enough. It's easy to slip below 1000 calories on this "diet" when I should be eating 10-12x my current weight. Every time I bring my calories up to where they should be, I start losing again.

judy
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 14:27

Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%

I did not stall on my 4th week. I did, however, experience a temporary gain/fluctuation during weeks 5-6. Then all of a sudden I started losing again. I lost 24 lbs. in approximately 3 months. Went off Induction/OWL and ate in a maintenance mode for two months while doing a lot of traveling. Now I'm back to Induction to lose all the way to my goal.
I haven't had any encounters with a stall yet. But I would take a stall over a gain ANY day!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 15:01
Registered Member

Stats: 142/133/120 Female 5' 5"
BF:22%
Progress: 41%

I haven't "stalled" but I've started adding a little variety to the diet so I've slowed down a little, which is good. I've always heard that if you lose weight slowly, you are more likely to keep it off as opposed to losing a bunch all at once. Your body needs time to adapt to your new WOL so some days/weeks will be better than others. Let's not forget, us women have the inconvience of the menstrual cycle that can definately throw things off or at least make it seem that way. Every body is different and we will all lose the weight differently. Just hang in there and remember, it's not really a stall until it lasted for an extended period of time, not just a couple days.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 19:59

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Well, I have had lots of week when I have not lost, I have given up trying to figure it out, I just acept it, and that is what has gotten me to 5 pounds from goal. Don't sweat about a slow down, stick to the diet, you'll get through it.
Cheers Kathy
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 20:13

Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I am returning LC'er after pregnancy and I never stalled in my 4th week, however I did have some stalling later in my 2nd month and I managed to get out of it by not eating cheese and having any sweetners and it seemed to help me start losing again. I am currently on induction again for 3 weeks now and I have lost 14lbs so far. I am expecting the weight loss to slow down as its pretty normal for it to happen.

I hope you have a wonderful time with your dad. I understand exactly what you mean by wanting to surprise him with your weight loss! Its a great motivation and I am certain that your dad will be very proud of you, just as you should be proud of yourself!!! Way to go!! you can do it!!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 21:04
Contributing Member

BF:

Thank you everyone for responding! This forum is so supportive, I'm kind of misty-eyed now. hehe

You've all given me a ton more perspective and I appreciate that so much. :-D I was just getting worried that I'd stall right before I'd go out of town and then I wouldn't lose enough for my dad to notice. But it may not happen, so that's great! So I won't worry about it until it happens, if it does.

Thanks again!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 23:37
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 300/278/200 Male 6' 4"
BF:More than I need
Progress: 22%

just remember he luvs ya no matter what! inches and pounds are just things we measure. luv is immeasurable!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 00:43
Contributing Member

BF:

:-D Thanks!