Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 01:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/182/160 Male 5' 11
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default Restaurant salads!!! Help!!

Dear people,

I went to the link below and looked up chicken salads at restaurants (like Bob Evans and Applebys). I was shocked out of my mind when I saw the carb count! Does this mean we can't even have Cobb salads at the corner diner? Now I'm afraid of restaurants but am also afraid I can't keep up with cooking every meal. UGH.

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/ca...?category_id=21
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 03:47

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

It is possible to eat out regularly and still maintain your Atkins WOE. The usual suspects in high-carb counts for salads are croutons and salad dressings. If you can get a break-down of where the carbs come from, you stand a better chance of making appropriate menu decisions.

In the past few months I've eaten at a variety of restaurants...both fast-food and "white tablecloth"...and still managed to keep my carb intake to less than 20/day.

Consider, also, the option of "make-ahead" meals that can be made up in bulk and consumed at leisure. Neither my wife nor I can afford to spend all of our time chained to the stove. But we're willing to invest a few hours in advance food preparation that pays off in cooking "vacations" in weeks to come.

Check out the recipe pages on this and other low carb sites...you'll find a variety of tasty choices that can be made up in advance and "nuked" on demand.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 10:44
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I agree, it depends on what they put in as "extras", since they base their nutrition info on "average amounts of all ingredients".... A few changes, and you have a salad fit for lc! Leaving out the obvious, like croutons, and watching the dressing like a hawk. (Most places will sub Ranch or oil and vinegar on request)
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 19:51

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I was completely surprised to find out that McDonalds grilled chicken salad has 11 carbs without the dressing. I was told this and doublechecked on their web-site. I have one occasionally but make sure I closely watch my carbs for the rest of my day. Who knew?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 21:34

Stats: 239/208/135 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:don't go there!!!
Progress: 30%

I as shocked too at the McDonalds salad-I love the chicken caesar salad there . I wonder if they are adding the tomato,carrot,croutons and parmesan cheese in wth the 11 g?? Anyone know???
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 21:38

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I think everything is added except the dressing and the crutons. That is my understanding anyway. I usually pick my carrots and tomatoes out (I get the chicken bacon ranch salad usually.) I don't care for the carrots and the little grape tomatoes actually taste too sweet to me. Gee, I never thought I'd say that!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 05:29
Registered Member

Stats: 200/182/160 Male 5' 11
BF:
Progress: 45%

Thank you everyone for your responses. I'm "processing" now. This is definitely a thinking person's diet. It forces you to be aware.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 12:14

Plan: Atkins / OWL
Stats: 260/208/190 Male 71 in
BF:
Progress: 74%

McDonald's (and other fast food places, I'm sure) marinate their chicken in a dextrose solution.

This causes the carb count to increase fairly dramatically (to us LCers, anyways.)

Hogarth
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 17:33

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

If you want to know the actual contents (but not quantities) of the various items on the McDonald's menu, you can check this page:

http://mcdonalds.com/countries/usa/...ents/index.html