Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 19:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/188/150 Female 65.5
BF:
Progress: 64%
Question atkins and gallbladder problems

has anyone experienced any gallbladder problems since starting their low carb WOE? I had some right sided pain today at work and the girls there said it was my "diet of fat" that is wrecking my gallbladder. any ideas or thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 19:59

Plan: My Own
Stats: 285/268/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I haven't heard or read anything about gallbladder problems re LC WOE. What I have heard plenty of is well-meaning but misinformed friends and co-workers ready to ascribe any ache or pain to the Atkins plan. Fortunately, none of them can ever site any hard data to back up their claims.

Regardless of whether your diet is causing this or not, if the pain persists or gets worse, get to a doctor. If it's nothing you'll have peace of mind and move on. If not, you can get it treated and move on.

I hope you feel better soon!

Last edited by Pugzilla : Wed, Apr-23-03 at 20:03.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 20:18

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Actually, it's more likely that years of low fat dieting are responsible for gallbladder problems in many people. The gallbladder is there for basically one purpose; to help our bodies emulsify and digest fat. When you give it no fat to work on, the bile accumulates and sits there. Eventually, the bile salts settle and over time can form stones. If at this point, you increase your fat intake and the gallbladder tries to do the work it was designed to do, you can develop symptoms but it's not the fat that caused the problem, it was the lack of it that did.
It's also known that rapid weight loss by any method can trigger gallbladder attacks. Gallstones can also take months (if not years) to form and cause a problem.

Quote:
Regardless of whether your diet is causing this or not, if the pain persists or gets worse, get to a doctor

I agree. Persistant pain is not something that should be ignored. If it continues or gets worse, see your doctor or go to the emergency room if it gets severe. Needing to have your gallbladder removed isn't the end of the world and the newer procedures that they use to do it now have a very quick recovery time (less than a week) with very little discomfort. Most people who have their gallbladders removed never notice any difference afterwards except that they no longer have pain from it.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 21:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/235/150
BF:
Progress: 29%

First, gallbladder problems can be genetic. There are 2 main types of gallbladder problems. The first is an acute condition where I stone gets passed and trapped. The stone can be trapped near the stomach, the liver or can travel into your intestines and out of your body. The second problem is gallbladder disease. This causes your gallbladder to swell after eating. They say that fatty foods can cause this swelling. However, after having been diagnosed with both of these conditions I can tell you it didn't matter what you ate.

If the pain is on the right side, a little bit below your rib cage or near your stomach, it is probably gallbladder pain. If the pain is severe and keeps you awake or alerts you, if you are hot feeling or short of breath, or if you look yellow, go to the ER, you probably have a trapped stone.

If the pain is persistent after each meal see your doctor. You know your own body.

Long story short, I don't think it is low carb related.

Also, I had mine out laporascopically, an easy surgery and now am symptom free!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 13:54

Stats: 235/232/190 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

Earthlyone,

I have also had my Gall Bladder removed a few years ago. I have been on Atkins for several weeks now with little or no success...My girlfriend has lost almost 25 lbs in the same time. We are eating almost the identical meals...though sometimes I have a bit more meat than her (dont think this matters much because its meat and not a whole lot more than her). I was just thinking the other day that maybe it is because I don't have a Gall Bladder that the fat is not being burned in the same way.

Did you have the same problems at all? Or can anyone else give some input on if the gall bladder makes a difference to the diet?

Thanks

Robert
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 14:02
Registered Member

Stats: 270/235/150
BF:
Progress: 29%

I have not had problems losing. Your liver will produce enough bile to digest fats you have consumed. So, no I don't think that not having a gallbladder will affect weight loss. People who have gastric bypass surgery have their gallbladder removed also and they lose just fine.

Are you and your girlfriend the same size? Maybe you need more calories than her. Or maybe you need to eat more fat.

If you post a days worth of meals we may be able to help.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 18:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/188/150 Female 65.5
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default thanks all

thanks everyone for you input. I'm feeling better today However if this keeps up or gets worse, I will see a doctor.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 20:07
Registered Member

Stats: 240/227/160
BF:
Progress: 16%

Actually the liver makes bile, and the gall bladder just stores it until it is needed to emulsify fat.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 19:13
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 169/156/140 Female 5 ft 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%

I had my gallbladder removed 10 years ago and havent had much problem, I think my weight just isnt coming off very fast because of the amount of veggies I eat, but Im going to hang in there its just been 3 weeks and i feel tons better!!!
Please have yourself checked for the pain in your side it probably has nothing to do with atkins. I was 18 years old and on a low fat diet when my gallbladder had to come out. good luck
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 19:52

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

I lost my gallbladder to a low fat diet years ago-I have never had any problems since. I am losing nicely on low carb. The liver is able to produce bile and send it directly to the small intestine when needed. I actually think if the bile flow were reduced you would be more likely to lose weight. The bile acts on the dietery fat to emulsify it into smaller particles, so the enzymes can get to it more readily-If this doesn't happen fat will not be readily absorbed and will exit via the stool. This would lower your actual fat intake since some of it would pass through untouched!