Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 08:34

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Thumbs up EAS shakes - ready to drink

I have been drinking Atkins shakes for a few weeks now as replacement or suppliment to my breakfast. I really like the Atkins Chocolate shakes but lately they have been missing off the shelves (sold out?) so I bought the EAS Carb control shakes - chocolate and vanilla this week. I really like the Vanilla one, haven't tried the choco yet. A little thinner than Atkins but I like the taste and it did fill me up (I had for breakfast this morning with leftover corned beef & cabbage from Monday).

I also find them cheaper (at Walmart anyway).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 11:32
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 220/196/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 30%

I have been using the EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control shakes. The chocolate is pretty good. I don't care for Vanilla and Strawberry so I haven't even tried them. My Walmart usually has some pretty good prices. Haven't looked into internet location for a better price.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 11:39
Registered Member

Plan: Changed to Atkins from CAD
Stats: 273/261/160
BF:53%
Progress: 11%

Are these allowed on Induction? I have been using CL pancake mix as a break from eggs, and I know that puts me a bit over on the day, but I woul dhave thought the shakes would be well up there.

Also I have been using the LC pasta. Taste takes some getting used to, but I need something with my meal at night and basically am not a veggie person.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 16:01
Registered Member

Plan: Glucose Revolution
Stats: 325/297.5/200 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 22%

I love these shakes. I checked them for hidden carbs, and they *do* have a hidden dietary fiber that's not counted in the total count.. but this fiber isn't digested by the body, so you should be fine.

I was worried they were too good to be true.. I love the strawberry for breakfast
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 05:12

Plan: n/a
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 7%

I have one chocolate EAS Carb Control shake for breakfast almost every day (to replace my French Vanilla Cappuccino addiction that I used to indulge in)

Makes me feel like I had a chocolate shake that I wasnt supposed to, yet its OK!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 09:36
Registered Member

BF:

For Induction I avoid anything that says net carbs because it has those hiden carbs. If it doesn't mention hidden carbs add up the components. carbs are 4 cals per gram. Fat is 9 cals per gram. Protein is 4 cals per gram and alcohol is 7 cals per gram. If the calories don't match the information label then there are probably hidden carbs.
This shakes don't have glycerine or anything like that.
Can't say that for the other shak
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 12:01
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%
Default Net carbs != hidden carbs

Kathy, net carbs are not always the same as hidden carbs! The "Net Carbs" or "Effective Carbs" on the label are the total carbs minus sugar alcohols AND fiber. The debate about sugar alcohols is ongoing, but everyone agrees that you don't have to count the portion of the total carbs which come from fiber (which is metabolically inert). Every food which contains fiber, especially vegetables, has a "Net Carb" count. As long as this "Net Carb" count for any food is equal to the total grams of carbs minus the fiber ONLY, it's perfectly OK for induction. It's when they start subtracting the sugar alcohols that you should worry.

I don't know about the EAS shakes, but I drink an Atkins shake every morning for breakfast which contains 2g Net Carbs (3g total - 1g fiber). Shakes usually don't contain sugar alcohols, but all of the LC bars and sugar-free candies do. Artificial sweeteners like Splenda and aspartame just can't provide the necessary texture, but they do just fine for liquid foods. However, the shakes are the only "Frankenfood" I regard as Induction-safe, and it's still better to make your own if you have the time.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 17:12
Registered Member

BF:

Sweetener on the chocolate fudge EAS AdvantEdge Control shake is maltodextrin, dextrose and sucralose. It lists 2 carbs and 2 fiber, but at the end of the ingredietns there is a note that says that Dietary diber is included in the total calorie count but is not included as carbohydrate.