Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-02, 20:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins -- Zone
Stats: 175/175/140 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:no clue; yikes! ;)
Progress: 0%
Unhappy good news bad news ..

I made it through induction, just fine ... I let myself slip a lil here and there, (slip meaning, one slice of stone ground wheat bread) I remained on ketosis the entire 2 weeks, and despite more and more carbs into my diet (in more wheat bread, chili, and now these nifty little pastry doo-dads with NO yeast, and low sugar) I still remain on ketosis, as I work out a lot and have managed to avoid the one thing that used to bring a special joy to my day, chocolate.

I DESPERATLY want to reach 140 And now that induction is over, I'm at a loss of what exactly I can eat -- and how many carbs varying diets allow after the first 2 weeks. I usually dont get this far without binging terribly .. so kudos to me for making it here!! but ... now what?

ANY tips on quick fixes for post induction? I live in a sorority house so I cant be cooking up special treats with special sauces .. I miss dinner as much as it it, as we always seem to have rice, potato and pasta as our main meal .. I am usually warming up tuna with cheddar cheese; or dipping some lunch meat roast beef in ranch ... I need some sugestions.... please!

I'm starting to crave sweets again ... I walked into a bakery ... and salivated all over myself looking at all the pastry, doughnut, cheesecake, cake, and cookie goodies ...

oh, help me ... I'm so strong, but I fear that the more I keep eating the same things, the more I will crave all the stuff that MADE UP my LIFE!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 00:22

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Congrats on making it through Induction - although let me slap your wrist for the few slips you made. Slap. There, now that that's taken care of.

You can keep going with Induction - it contains the core of the entire approach - and start adding in about 5g/day each week or so of good carbs (veggies, fruits and such). Atkins covers the preferred way to do this in his book along with an ordered list of what foods to add.

As for the boredom - if you get bored with low-carb, it's your own fault. Having said that, I do realize the problems that not being in a position to cook your own meals can create as LC most certainly lends itself to home cooking and not eating out of the box. Check out the recipe sections of this forum for ideas and there are also other LC recipe sites and several books available. There are bound to be lots of meals that are quick and easy to fix. Idently a handful of them and keep the makings on hand.

Good luck and Keep the Faith!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 05:49

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%
Default Re: good news bad news ..

Quote:
Originally posted by kanne140
*::* Desire Creates the Power *::*
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!

Congrats on making it through induction Your signature says it all. That should fight the cravings for donuts or anything else.

As for food suggestions, only the sky is the limit. I use to be in the mindset that a meal wasn't complete without rice, pasta, bread or potatos. I would look at my plate and would think something was missing! Then I realized nothing was missing, it was just the way I was brought up. My mom ALWAYS served a starch with the meal. I can honestly say after being on Atkin's a year now, that mindset is gone.

It sounds like your menu was pretty darned boring during induction. Now it's time to start OWL. By adding in 5 carbs per every couple of weeks your menu will start opening up and you will be on the path to finding that magic carb number where once you hit goal you will know how many carbs you can have a day and maintain your weight.

Personal favorites of mine are: broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, or yellow squash microwaved 4 mins with butter and basil. (this is a perfect replacement for pasta with spagetti sauce) When I fix hubby spagetti, this is what I nuke for myself and then top with sauce.

It's hard to make meal suggestions without knowing what else is served with the pasta, rice or potato. If meats are served, you can eat normally but in place of the above mentioned no nos have a green salad or steamed veggies. Green beans and asparagus with butter and lemon juice is wonderful.

Hope some of these have helped.