Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 13:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/245/140 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress:
Question Newbie w/o a lot of time!

Hello everyone!

I'm going to be trying the Atkins diet. As soon as I have the money to get the book..lol
Im a single mom of 2 little girls ages 3 and 9 . I work full time so there really isnt a lot of time in my day. By the time I get home im rushing like a looney to get my kids fed and maybe have an hour after to my self before i go to bed. (we all go to bed pretty early i drive a school bus so we're all up by 5am!)

I was just wondering for right now if someone can give me a quick help untill I can get the book and know what im doing.

I've been eater better and exercising for about a month and a half now....I havn't lost a lot of weight but I've lost quite a few inches from exercise. Geez I dont think my body even knew what that was!! I do about a mile a day on the treadmill, and going to purchase a bike next week. I know this has nothing to do with the diet but I like the whole losing the inches thing too!!

So anyway not to babble anymore but can anyone out there just give me the induction basics. I know you have to start out with no more then 20g of carbs per day for 2 weeks. But I know there has to be more....What are the specific foods that I can definatly eat with no problems.....maybe there's a website somewhere that can tell me every food that has NO carbs and then some with low carbs......And do you have to do 20 per day? can you do less or none?

Oh wish i had some money for the book!!!!

Thank you this is a wonderful site ive been sneaking around reading it all day!
Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 13:53
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Check out the Atkins Nutritional Center website. Plenty of info there.

Good luck to you,

Kay
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 13:54

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Lisa!

Until you can get a copy of the book, you can get the basics of how to follow induction as well as the other phases at the Atkins website at www.atkins.com
I would still recommend reading the book as soon as you can since it contains a lot of information all in one handy-to-refer-to place that you will find useful to refer back to often during your weight loss journey.
Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 14:17

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
And do you have to do 20 per day? can you do less or none?

Forgot to address this part. Going well below 20 grams of carb per day won't help you lose any faster than sticking close to 20 and would likely leave you feeling bored with your options (as well as constipated) pretty quickly.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 18:22
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Acceptable foods
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html

Rules of Induciton
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-325810.html

I have 2 little ones too, so I know how hectic things can get. What may help is to plan your meal sin advance. Cook on weekends and store in singles ervings in the freezer for the week. Buy prebagged salads and so on to cut cooking time. Some nights buy a rotissery chicken (I like walmarts) just make sure they don't add sugars.

Now is a great time to teach the kids good eating habits as well. Get rid of all the junk food and sweets in your house that may tempt you. The kids can still have them at school and so on, so they won't be as deprived as many belive. Switch to all natural peanut butter and unsweetened ketchup. Chances are they will never notice the difference
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 12:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/126/120 Female 164
BF:
Progress: 82%

Why dont you try and borrow the book from a library in the meantime! I find that having the book to hand for periods of weakness really helps especially in the first couple of weeks. Take care and good luck! Sounds like you have started well with the exercise already.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 13:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have an extra copy I can send you, if you don't mind it being the new new new update. (I think this one was published in 1999). If you're interested, PM me your mailing address.

*edited to add: whoops, don't think you have private messaging yet. you can email me at faelanae <at> hotmail.com

Last edited by delilah : Sun, Jan-25-04 at 13:34.