Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 17:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/200.25/128
BF:
Progress: 10%
Unhappy Gaining and Scared!

Please help me!

I am just a few days into starting my third week on Atkins. I have the 1999 and the new 2002 edition of his New Diet Revolution Revised and Updated books in addition to Laura Richards' book (can't remember the title exactly...but something like How to Get the Most Our of Your Low-Carb Diet); it is a great book.

Just to give you a little history. I am currently 53 yrs. and have been a yo-yo dieter since age 16. My top weight in my mid-twenties was 340 (I am a smidge under 5'4"). I have had great success and even greater set backs...tried everything from liquid protien, OA, to Weight Watchers, ad infinitum. I have been a practicing low-fat/low-calorie dieter for a decade. I have managed to keep below 300 lbs. (lucky me).

Eleven months ago, I started Weight Watchers (at 254 lbs.) and at 8 months into the program was down to 197.2; then I hit a four-month plateau and out of frustration/anger went on a few mini-binges--then would lose the binge weight and then binge...you get the picture.

The morning after one of those binges, I weighed and was back up to 208. I flipped on the TV and the Atkins infomercial was playing...(it was talkin' to me!). I immediately bought Atkins' book and instantly started the program. The first week I lost 10.75 lbs. I was ecstatic! I gained three of those pounds back the second week. I am ok with that because I know the weight loss was mostly water. However, even though I am doing everything I should be doing (exercising, drinking water, consuming vitamins/minerals, eating below 20 carbs. (most days between 5- 10), keeping a journal, watching for hidden carbs, trying to keep the fat to protein ratio within a proper limit, cutting back on cheese, not consuming diet pop, etc.), I am still GAINING!!! This morning, I was up to 200.25 (I got down to 196 the first week).

I am so scared; I am afraid the program will not work for me and that I will keep on gaining. Please tell me it isn't so.

Have any of you experienced this? Am I doomed? I have also been tracking my calories for the past few days--I have a tendency to not eat enough calories. The idea of eating 10-12 x my body weight frightens me, but I made myself eat 2100 cals. yesterday and 1,800 the day before. I am at my wits end. My friend told me this may be my set weight...a 5'4" - 200 lb. woman? I DON'T THINK SO!

I have two more things I want to discuss: Do you count just the "digestible carbs" Atkins talks about in his 2002 edition? Richards talks about only counting digestible carbs in her book, too.

And, do you think Carb Solution bars really only have 2 carbs? I started eating those this week. I bring one to work with me to have for breakfast.

Sorry I have written such a long thread...I hope someone can give me some hope. If you have been in the same shoes I am in, and can offer some suggestions, please respond.

Thank you.

Barb
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 17:19

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%
Unhappy gaining weight

Hey Barb,

Don't give up just yet... but DO modify things a bit. Some of us are too sensitive for certain things.... The bars being among them. You will find that many people can only eat them as a rare treat. When I have even half of one, the scales go up. Nuts and cheese bother me some, too, so I have to get most of my carbs through veggies.

I know that probably isn't news you want to hear, but it could very well be your problem. Try cutting them out and go back to the basics. When you add in more carbs, do it with veggies and see what happens.

I had some ice cream over the weekend... It wasn't very much, but I've found myself with 3 extra lbs back on that I am having to fight back off!

You will learn as you go what bothers you and makes your weight go up. It does take some experimenting and patience, so keep at it.

cindi
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 17:33

Stats: 208/200.25/128
BF:
Progress: 10%

Thanks for the suggestions, Cindi. I do not eat very many veggies at all, and I just incorporated macadamia nuts (they may be out the window). I will do whatever it takes to beat this thing! The Carb Solution bars are going into the trash, and I will find interesting ways to make veggies appetizing. I just bought an ice cream maker! It appears that I will definitely have to reserve homemade ice cream for a very special treat.

What do you think of the calorie thing 10 -12 x body weight? And counting just the digestible carbs?

Barb
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 17:41

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Barb, take a big deep breath and relax.

Your history of yo-yo dieting and your recent few lb gain make perfect sense. You have managed to confuse your body to such an extent that it sees the food coming in now as something it needs to hoard - who knows when the supply will be cut off again? Keep calories constant. Do not go making any dramatic changes right now. Your initial losses are a sign that this WOE does work, remember that.

There are some things you can do to help increase your metabolism - your metabolism is what got so messed up by yo-yo dieting.

• Eat more frequent smaller meals. The very act of eating raises metabolism. Eating more often stablizes blood sugar and insulin levels - the goal of LC, heal that insulin sensitivity!

Exercise - specifically lift weights. Building lean muscle mass will burn more calories, all the time. Every lb of muscle you add will eat up to 50 calories - of YOUR BODY FAT. The prefered fuel of an active muscle is body fat.

Keep a detailed journal of your food / water / exercise. Track what you do and what is working. Be on the lookout for food sensitivities - the most common are eggs, wheat, dairy and nuts.

Get rid of the "LC Bars" - they don't really exist.

Above all, be patient. Give your body the time it needs to heal and realize that this time is for real - you're not going to starve it again.

I would also suggest a little reading

Yo-Yo dieting and it's effects on Metabolism
Low Carb Bars
Do you really expect all your progress to be losses?
Why 10x calories?

Nat

P.S. You do not count the non-digestible carbs from Fiber - this is a new addition to the Atkins program (Dec 2001)
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 18:46

Stats: 245/190/175
BF:
Progress: 79%

I would weigh yourself less frequently - Since you are listing quarter pound amounts, it might be a good idea. I find that I can gain 5 pounds easily, even doing everything right. I think that varies from person to person. The thing about this is look at this as a long term solution, and not a day to day race to see how much you lost. You've only given it less than 3 weeks, Stick with it a little longer and see how it goes. One great thing about this diet that I have noticed is that even if you are not losing weight, you might be losing inches. Even if the scale does not go down, clothing seems to fit better.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 05:26

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%
Default Re: Gaining and Scared!

Quote:
Originally posted by Barb

And, do you think Carb Solution bars really only have 2 carbs? I started eating those this week. I bring one to work with me to have for breakfast.

Do yourself a favor and dump these from your menu. At least until we get this weight gain under control.

If you do a search on "low carb bars" on this web site you will get tons of feedback as to not eat them. They are known stallers to many people.

Nat gave you some excellent reading materials.

One thing I can add:

Do yourself a favor from the start. Change your mental outlook and perspective. This isn't a diet. It is a way of eating healthier and feeling fitter. This isn't something you hop on and off at your whim. You eat this way for the rest of your life.

It does become second nature after a while and you don't even think about the junk you use to eat
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 07:41

Plan: low salt
Stats: 207/236/160 Female 5'10"
BF:44.1%/33.86%/?
Progress: -62%
Talking I am with you

Barb, The same thing has happened to me. We must be patient. All I want to say is that I am here for you if you need me for support. I went from 207 to 204 to 210! So, I totally understand.

Julie