Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 18:22

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 415/338.8/170 Female 177cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 31%
Default LC Gumbo anyone?

Hi all

I have been asked by my partner to make some gumbo, he had it recently at a resteraunt and loved it ... now I've read some recipes and it all seems to revolve around the roux... is there anyone out there who has made LC Gumbo and can share their recipe...

Thanks in advance

Fiona
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 11:26

Plan: SPII
Stats: 50/35/01 Female 5"9"
BF:
Default LC Gumbo

I would just cut the roux part of the recipe by 3/4 or so. Use only a Tbsp or so of flour. The browned flour adds so much flavor and I suspect you can't really substitute soy bake mix. Okra or File' will thicken it, so you don't need the flour for that. I've been meaning to work on this. If I get it worked out, I'll post the recipe.

N
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 12:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I hope someone posts a recipe! I'm slobbering!

Donald
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 16:23

Plan: Atkins/fasting
Stats: 263/246/160 Female 67 inches
BF:39.9/29.7/21.9
Progress: 17%

Here is one I found doing a search:

2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons Atkins Bake Mix *
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
small onion, chopped
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) reduced sodium chicken broth plus 1 cup water
1 cup diced stewed tomatoes
2 teaspoons Creole seasoning blend
2 garlic cloves, pushed through a press
1 pound collard greens, washed, cut in strips, or 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen
1 package (10 ounces) frozen cut okra
2 pounds large shrimp, shelled and deveined
Hot red pepper sauce
Salt and pepper

1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat, whisk in bake mix and cook, whisking, until golden brown and bubbly, about 5 minutes. Add celery, bell pepper and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes, until vegetables are softened.
2. Add chicken broth, water, tomatoes, Creole seasoning and garlic to vegetable mixture and bring to a boil.. Add collards and okra, cover and cook until collards are tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Add shrimp to gumbo, mix well, cover, and cook 3-4 minutes, until shrimp are pink and cooked through. Season to taste with hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper.

Servings: 6
Prep time: 25 minutes
Bake/Cook time: 25 minutes
Carbohydrates:16.5 grams Net Carbs:10.5 grams Fiber:6 grams Protein: 26 grams Fat: 7 grams Calories: 232

HTH!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 17:00

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I found this one on Allrecipes, submitted by Kara Thibodeaux, but you'd need to substitute for the flour:

Creole Gumbo

This is a gumbo recipe that's been borrowed and recombined from three different people's recipes, and this is how it ended up! Laissez les bons temps rouler! Be sure to have some file powder and hot pepper sauce to season to your liking. Serve over hot rice with potato salad and crackers, if desired.

Makes 8 servings.

4 bone-in chicken breast halves, with skin
8 chicken thighs
1 white onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter
1 pound Creole smoked sausage (maybe Chorizo?)
2 1/2 cups water
1 pound shrimp
2 tablespoons Cajun-style seasoning

Directions

1 Boil chicken breasts and thighs with onion and bell
pepper in a large pot of salted water, for about 40 minutes
or until cooked through and no longer pink inside. Drain,
debone chicken and set aside.
2 In a large saucepan stir together flour and butter over
low heat to make a roux ; add boiled chicken, sausage and
water and bring all to a boil. Cover saucepan and simmer
over low heat for about 1 1/2 hours.
3 Add shrimp and simmer for about 1 more hour, then add
seasoning to taste and serve.

What is file powder, by the way?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 17:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 292/190.5/180 Male 75 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 91%
Default Gumbo

File Powder is the ground/ pounded dried leaves of the sassafras tree. (Pounded powder is more "true" to tradition than Ground.... Why, who knows.....) File, (say FEE-Lay) powder is used as a thickener in gumbo, etc.... The trick is not to add file powder to the pot of gumbo, especially if the pot is still cooking.... if you do sometimes the file will thicken up/ turn stringly/ nasty... Traditionally the file is added by each person, to their liking, in their own bowl of gumbo....

Personnally, I don't think that Chorizo sausage would be good because of the chili powder that it is made with...... Andouille sausage (the cajun type NOT the french type) is traditional..... You can find it sometimes at some of the "Fresh Fields/ Whole Foods" type stores... even the turkey andouille isn't too bad....(Cajun Andouille is a smoked, coursely ground pork sausage) What also works out very well when you can not find Andouille is just a basic smoked sausage....

I haven't ever had Collard greens in a bowl of gumbo myself..... The traditional veggies are the "Holy Trinidy" of cajun cooking, Green pepper, celery, and onion.....

The Roux is the key to the whole gumbo...... (trust me... I have spend 45 minutes standing at the stove constantly wisking to make the roux for 12 quarts of gumbo at a time) You have a choice, you can make a Creole Roux or you can make a Cajun Roux..... the first is just a nice brown color, the second, the Cajun roux is a bit past "peanut butter brown". Caution: wisk consantly.... if you start seeing black bits/ flecks in your roux, you have burned it and better start over..... Also be careful of "splattering" since you are working with very hot oil and flour, it burns... they don't call it Cajun Napalm for nothing..... Couple of hints..... use a VERY heavy pan to make your roux in..... it will take more time to heat up, but it will hold the heat better, and more evenly..... (Yet another reason I love Cast Iron....) Also, until you are very comfortable making your roux, use med. heat... yes it will take longer, but less of a chance of ruining the roux... if you feel it is getting too hot, move it off the heat....... AND keep wisking.....

I really don't know how a roux made out of anything but regular flour would turn out..... That is more of a question for Karen.... The Starch from the flour is what thickens the gumbo, plus that "taste" would be hard to copy... just like when you make a "gravy" /sauce with cream to thicken, it still isn't quite the same. A roux is just a suspention of oil and nicely cooked/ browned flour. (Heck, I've even seen recipes that just brown the flour in a low oven to try to skip the risk of burning the roux) The question/ uncertainty of using low carb "flour" is why I haven't tried my hand at a low carb gumbo.... That and the Carb counts for both onion and green pepper.....

Trust me I am by no means an expert on gumbo.... I'm just a guy from small town Kansas of all places.... Although my father is from the deep South...... and I have eatten my fair amount of Gumbo.... I used to travel/ work down South in the New Orleans area... I do make (or did until this WOE) Gumbo for my Christmas party every year.... I've even had New Orleans natives praise it.

Well, Please if anyone makes a good low carb gumbo.... let me know....

Kansas5

Last edited by Kansas5 : Mon, May-05-03 at 17:38.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 18:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/129.5/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 101%

Gumbo - Yummmmmm! Here is my recipe. I just use 2 tablespoons flour, just to bind the fat in the pan, and then rely on the okra to do the rest of the thickening. I do try to brown the flour to give the dish some color.

Gumbo

3 T olive oil
1 lb skinless chicken meat (dark or white, thighs or breasts, whatever)
8 oz fully cooked hot links or any smoked sausage, sliced ½ inch or whatever
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 C celery, chopped
2 T flour
3 cups canned low salt chicken broth
1 10 oz package frozen sliced okra

1 lb bay scallops
8 oz uncooked large shrimp
crab, oysters, any other seafood you feel like

Cayenne Pepper

Heat oil in large pot over medium high heat. Add chicken and sausage and saute’ until brown, about 8 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer mixture to bowl. Add onion, celery, and green pepper, sauté until soft and translucent, about 6 minutes. Remove vegetables from pan. Whisk in flour and stir until medium golden brown, being careful not to burn. Whisk chicken broth gradually, bring to boil. Mix in meat and vegetables, and okra. Reduce heat to medium; cook uncovered until okra has thickened the pot, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. It’s okay if it’s soupy.

Mix seafood into pot. Cover and cook until seafood is cooked through, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with cayenne, salt, and pepper.

Makes 6 servings. Or 2 if you are hungry. Non-low carbers can have this served over rice with a side of cornbread, but it’s delicious on it’s own!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 18:18

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 415/338.8/170 Female 177cm
BF:unknown

Wow thanks so much guys for all your recipes and suggestions ... I will copy all the recipes and try them all over the course of this coming winter down here

Thanks again - much appreciated

Gumbo for dinner I think tonight

Fiona