Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 17:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203.5/200.5/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default Atkins Cruise trip report, Includes menus

Hi, I went on an Atkins Cruise on Feb 16th aboard the Costa Victoria. This cruise was sponsored by Dr Robert Atkins and includes menus from our cruise. Let me know if anyone has any questions!

Here is a link to the report:

Costa Victoria Atkins Cruise on Feb 16th, 2003

Dawn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 18:54
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile Loved your site!!

You made me feel like I was there! I loved the pictures and your menu descriptions! Thank you for sharing!!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 20:47

Stats: 170/163/148
BF:
Progress: 32%

Thanks for sharing! That looks like a fun trip.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 20:48

Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

What a wonderful trip. And your gown was absolutely beautiful and you looked stunning in it!

Carol
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 01:29

BF:

Thanks for the compliments!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 06:04

Stats: 137/117/115
BF:
Progress: 91%

Dawn,

Just wanted to thank you for the "complimentary vacation." What fun! It was great of you to take the time to share it with us all.

Jane
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 09:56
Registered Member

Stats: 256/211/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

I'm going on this cruise! I'm taking my sister and maybe my daughter (she is eight)...I love cruises, Disney was wonderful. The menu seems to have a lot of fruit...do you have to be past induction to eat? Did they have more than is listed here? I've already called to get more info on the next cruise...I'd like to go to the Med. Sea.

Gail
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 13:29

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Thank you for sharing Dawn you both look so happy and the formal pictures were beautiful. Pat S

Last edited by Pat S. : Fri, Mar-21-03 at 13:30.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 20:15
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Thank you, Dawn, for sharing this with us. You look like you had a great time! And you're such a good recorder...

You know, there are plans being organized for this forum to see if we can book a group on the JANUARY 2004 Atkins cruise...

We are waiting to hear back from Bob Lincoln about whether the rates will stay the same for that cruise -- he seems to think they will.

But the link you provided gives all the info for anyone who wants to look into this and start thinking about it. This would be our LC CONVENTION...that so many on this forum wanted to get going!

So...now we have pictures and a first hand account that the cruise was fun and the food was good!!

Look for a thread about the "Forum Members Cruise" in the next few weeks...
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 21:44

BF:

WOW! I would love to go on a cruise with a group from here! We were planning to do another Atkins Cruise next yr, we told Bob Linclon that we were hoping for another Atkins Cruise about the same time next year.

gkeenan, I went off inductioin for the week so I could enjoy the food! I love soup and deserts, so I was looking forward to having both each day! The items that mention fruit didn't have much, such as a desert that had strawberries, only had 3 or 4 SLICES of strawberry. So, it was not even an entire strawberry on the entire desert. As far as other things to eat other than what was on the menu, I believe you could get a steak or grilled chicken at lunch or dinner, but I do not beleive anyone ever did this. Our group did have the suggestion that they add what phase of the diet a menu item was good for, possibly by using the blocks that they use on the Atkinscenter web site to sell produts. I think there were items appropriate for induction on every menu, you just had to be more careful. And, of course, the only desert that was appropriate for induction was probably the jello that was served a couple times. I was able to maintain my weight (which was really my goal, not to lose) by exercising almost every day and eating all that you see listed in my report! I was typically eating 4 course meals at lunch and dinner everyday!

I really hope the group cruise works out!!! The one thing that was missing from this cruise for me was meeting people online prior to the cruise and then making my week more special making lifetime friendships! I always spend lots of time on CruiseCritic.com prior to cruising and we have always met up with a group that we had a blast with!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 21:51

Stats: 235/225/130
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi Dawn,

Your trip sounded great! One question though, what if you go with a non-Atkins eater? Do they have "regular" menus for those not interested in Low carb for the SO's that accompany the Atkin followers? I went to the site and it looks wonderful...but nothing was said about optional menus....

Last edited by Kayceecan : Fri, Mar-21-03 at 21:53.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 22:30

BF:

Kayceecan, We had a table beside us that was a brother, his two sisters and his son. The brother and one sister were doing Atkins and the son (a teen) and one sister were not (she was not 100 lbs soaking wet!) All week, they got normal bread, normal deserts and sometimes ate food from our menu, sometimes from the normal menu. I will have to say, that some of the group were a little jelous of the food they were eating, so some of the men (one at our table in particular) were eating from our menu during the sit down meals, but hitting the pizza buffet, room service, ect when not with the group! Some of our food was so spectacular, the regular food could not have been any better!! Especially the calamari! The gentleman I am speeking about in the prior sentence also had two helpings of calamari the night I did!!!!! Some of the group would use the buffet for breakfast and lunch, and come to the dinning room for dinner only, then thier husbands would only be missing the high carb items for the one meal. But, I enjoy the time shared with other people, we only missed a couple meals in the dinning room!!
But, in reality, there are a lot more people on the ship eating from normal menus than people eating from Atkins Group menus!!!
We were not in a seperate dinning room, just had a section of tables that were part of our "group". This is how all cruise lines handle any group that books with them, we just had special menus and bread on our table!!! I do know for a fact that you could not be in another part of the dinning room and order something from our menu. '
I also did check other cruise web sites to make sure the prices for the cruies were on target with other travel agencies, and Bob Lincoln's prices were the same or lower than every other site I checked. I worried they would need to charge more for the use of the Atkins products (our bread cost them a lot more to make than normal bread!!!) but I guess they absorb that extra expense.

Hope that helped some!!!