Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 15:26
Registered Member

Plan: Modified all of them ;-)
Stats: 118/113/115 Female 5'4'
BF:
Progress: 167%
Default Low Carb Bryers ice cream at Wal Mart

I haven't tried it yet, but a friend found Low Carb Ice cream at Wal Mart the other day. She said it was really good and there are only 3-4 carbs per serving. I think I am gonna head over there tonight and look for some.

PS can anyone help me use the smilies? I can't seem to get them to work !?!?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 16:07
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

there is atkins low carb ice cream in vanilla and chocolate. i've tried vanilla, taste is pretty good. make sure it doesn't raise yout BG, contains sugar alcohol. it's sold in safe way frozen section.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 16:39

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 219/184/160 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 59%
The Bryer's CarbSmart ice cream is GREAT! My husband and I love it - we've tried the chocolate and I just bought a vanilla today, but haven't tried it yet. I am sensitive to sugar alcohols, but the few in the Bryer's didn't effect me.
Two thumbs up!! WARNING: it IS addictive so beware.

My DH said that when he was visiting Louisville, KY, he stumbled upon an awesome ice cream made with Splenda with low carbs - I think it was called "Splendor" - does anyone know about this and what chains, other than Kroger, might carry it?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 22:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 269/245/150 Female 5ft 10in
BF:
Progress: 20%

I think the ice cream you're referring to is called "Slender". The only place I've seen it is Kroger. I love the Butter Pecan.....but I had high BG fasting levels, in the 140's. Don't know if it was the Splenda or the cream. Since I quit using both my fasting BG is now normal, yay.
Elaine
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 08:59
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

hi Elaine:
how did you get your fasting BG normal range? i've been low carbing for almost a year now, lost some weight, use splenda and other sweet stuff very sparingly, and still my FBG is all over the place. i'm trying to keep it below 120.
any tips will be appreciated.
thank you,
dina
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 00:18

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

Hi dina1957--

Don't know how others have done it but, after getting two Hb A1c readings of 11+ in April, I went onto Atkins Induction in May. Initially, my FBG was 300+, but after 2 weeks on Induction it was running about half of that. I stayed well within the 20 carb/day limit (still am now, in fact), and within 6 weeks I was usually getting 95-110 Waking, <110 pre-prandial, and never over 120 2h pp. (often <100)!

I had dropped almost 30 lbs by week 6 on Atkins, but was unsure if it was the weight loss or the carb restriction that was responsible for the improvement. Around the 4 month (40+ lbs lost) point, I celebrated my wife's birthday at her favorite pizzaria, splitting a large pizza and a big hunk of garlic bread with her (estimated at about 240 carbs per serving). My pre-meal reading was 102. My 2hr pp. was 171. At 3 hrs pp. I was at 164, at 5 hrs pp. I was down to 145, and my waking (17 hrs. pp.) was at 127. I ate a light breakfast (a couple of strips of bacon and a cup of coffee), a snack of sliced beef a few hours later, and then registered a pre-dinner BG of 92. After a dinner of sliced ham and cheeses (3 carbs), my 2 hr. pp. was at 94.

My conclusion is that heavy carb loads still run my BG up and sustain it for extended periods of time. But the amount of rise and duration are substantially lower than levels tracked a week before starting Atkins (a test with a similar meal then produced a 363 2 hr. pp., falling to 152 after 21 hrs.)

I intend to test this again after I've lost a total of 80 lbs., and yet again when I've reached my goal-weight. This should give me a good idea as to the role that weight loss has played in my BG improvement, and a good measure of what my eventual daily carb allowance will be to keep my BG's in the normal range.

I should add that mine is an unusual case. I had a complete physical (including a normal FBG) only 5 months before my Type II dx. If it hadn't been for a required pre-surgical physical (cataract surgery), it is likely that the problem wouldn't have been spotted for at least a year. My weight at that time had soared to an all-time high, following a back injury that had severely limited my motion and exercise for some time. I am still unable to exercise in a normal fashion, as I am limited to specific activities that fall within my PT routine, and those fall far short of a reasonable cardio workout. For now, lifting is not an option for me. I understand that if it were, I could probably look forward to even better progress than I have made by an LC diet alone. It is my hope that, as I approach my goal weight, I will also be able to handle a more ambitious workout schedule. If not, I will have to reset my goal-weight to a lower point, as my initial target was selected in anticipation of rebuilding a reasonable amount of muscle mass.

Again, this is my experience and my plan for dealing with my situation. YMMV significantly!

Last edited by geo53562 : Thu, Oct-02-03 at 01:06.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 01:13

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%

geo, I think that's quite interesting, that you were able to "skate" with such a notoriously bg-wrecking meal as pizza and bread. I think it's cause as a type two you still have functioning beta cells, and dropping your average bg's has decreased your insulin resistance, you can better use what you still produce. Doesn't mean we're cured though, a few more "outings" like that, and consequences would be more serious. BTW I have a function at my kids school tomorrow, will feature Costco pizza, was thinking of taking the toppings off, skipping the crust, but on reflection, all that sauce, cooked down tomatoes are carby, and some of those sauces they put SUGAR in, lord knows why, so will eat first and just make conversation. Bill
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 01:35

BF:

Hi Dina, please come by my journal for more details about lowering my fasting bg. In a nutshell I've got a serious 3-pronged effort going on.
1. Exercise, moderate, walking, swimming, light weights
2. LC eating, limited sweeteners, limited cream intake, mostly I'm following Induction
3. Supplements, Atkins#3, ALA, Chromium, Calcium/Mag and CLA
And absolutely no cheating on any of this. Since Sept 10, my fasting bg has dropped from a regular 140+ to a the range of 93-117. I'm so afraid of Diabetes that I'm taking this very seriously and working dilligently. I have LCed since Jan, but added in a lot of Splenda and cream. Although I haven't had sugar since Jan 18th, I think I was cheating myself by overdoing those things. My weight loss has been incredibly slow, I think because my BG was always over "normal". I've read a lot of articles that say you won't lose weight if those are too high. I'm hoping now that I'm acheiveing normal readings I'll see a change in my weight. I've only dropped about 17 lbs in 9 months, too slow, but I'm learning. Anyone have a similar experience with slow or no weight loss?
Elaine
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 16:36

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Began...how do we find jouranls?? And start one for that matter?

And for the Breyers Chocolate Ice Cream: SHAME ON BREYERS!!!!

Serving size 1/2 cup
Calories 130
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 25 mg
Sodium 50 mg
Total Carbs 10 g
Fiber 3 g
Sugars 4 g
Sugar Alcohol 3 g
Protien 2 g

Ingredients:
Milk, Cream, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Polydextrose, sorbitol, cocoa, glycerine, mono and diglycerides, cellulose gel, cellulose gum, guar gum, xanthan gum, carob bean gum, malt powder, salt, sucralose, acesulfame potassium, natural flavor

I am VERY unhappy over that Corn Syrup!!!! I am glad I didn't eat any yet! DH will love it
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 19:48

Stats: 285/280/215 Male 6'3"
BF:40.6%/38.5%/20%
Progress: 7%

Why is the high fructose corn syrup a problem when it's the third ingredient?

The bottom line is the carbs isn't it?

I know the sugar alcohols bother some folks, but there must be a very minimal amount of corn syrup or the carb count would be through the roof.

Or am I foolishly missing something here?
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 00:41

BF:

Hi Sherrielee,
Starting a journal is easy. Take "forum jump" to your chosen initial, my handle is Began11903 so I'm under A-B, and click on "New Thread". Just follow it from there. You might look under "My LowCarb Journal/LowCarb Bootcamp" for pointers. Happy typing!
Elaine
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 22:04
Registered Member

Plan: CAD, south beach
Stats: 000/000/175 Female 5 foot 10inches
BF:too freaken much
Progress: 0%

now i MUST have some ice cream and no one can stop me muahahahahahahahahahaha

oh darn i am broke and it is past 11pm guess i wont go get that low carb ice cream tonight. but mark my words i am an ice cream addict and i WILL be attacking the low carb ice cream. muahahahaha muahahahaha muahahahahah
shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! dont tell anyone! and most importantly dont tell my blood sugars because they might want to go high to punish me for enjoying someting that taste good. shame shame shame on me !
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 18:24

Stats: 162/141.2/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:Not A Clue!!
Progress: 44%

Give this a try:

http://www.lecarb.net/

It's very tasty ice cream/frozen dessert and I found it at Wal-Mart!!!!