Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-28-24, 02:00

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default US invests in protein food chain

In early July, the United States just did this:

Biden-Harris Administration Invests $110 Million in Meat and Poultry Processing to Strengthen Food Supply Chain, Increase Competition, and Lower Food Costs

Which is a step in the right direction. Local, sustainable, family farms and co-ops are the best way for everyone to manage this vital element in health.

Quote:
“The Biden-Harris Administration and USDA are advancing a sustainable vision of agriculture that prioritizes the needs of hardworking producers and small businesses and keeps rural communities strong,” said Secretary Vilsack. “Thanks to historic resources from President Biden’s American Rescue Plan, USDA is working to give farmers and ranchers a fairer chance to compete in the marketplace, which will increase local food options and lower costs for American families.”

The investments are part of USDA’s efforts to create a more competitive agricultural system, advance President Biden’s Investing in America Agenda, and support the Administration’s Action Plan for a Fairer, More Competitive, and More Resilient Meat and Poultry Supply Chain, which dedicates resources to expand independent processing capacity. Together these actions help to lower food costs by spurring competition and strengthening supply chains.

I'm from farming, but it did not appeal to me. To many people, though, this is what they want to do. And they should be able to do it.

Works better than giant corporations who want to sell us plant-based everything. Despite what our genome might have to say!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-24, 18:26

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I just had a monthly email from the USDA regarding $60 million going towards grants and loans to bring healthier food to underserved communities (food deserts).

Quote:
At the National Rural Grocer’s Summit last week, U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack announced that USDA and Reinvestment Fund are launching a new program under the Healthy Food Financing Initiative (HFFI) to increase access to healthy foods in communities underserved by grocery stores. Funding for the new Food Access and Retail Expansion Fund (FARE Fund) is made possible by President Biden’s American Rescue Plan Act.

“People across this country deserve fresh, healthy and affordable foods,” Secretary Vilsack said. “Through this program, the Biden-Harris Administration is partnering with food retailers to ensure that everyone has access to affordable, delicious foods while also supporting local farmers and ranchers. We are revitalizing the food systems in this country and increasing access for those that need it.”

Quote:
The program also offers funding for business support, or technical assistance, to support projects in their early stages. Funds may be used to support market and feasibility studies, business planning and store design.

I tend to get mostly information from the USDA regarding loans, grants and coverage of loss due to natural disasters - this is the first I've seen info from them directly related to improving food access in rural and underserved areas.

Quote:
Background

Many low-income communities lack adequate, affordable access to healthy food. HFFI provides grants and loans to entities that offer healthy foods in communities that are underserved by grocery stores and other food retailers. The program increases access to healthy foods, provides new market opportunities for farmers and ranchers, stabilizes small and independent retailers, and creates good-paying jobs and economic opportunity in low-income communities.

The FARE Fund is an expansion of HFFI administered by the Reinvestment Fund on behalf of USDA Rural Development.

Through HFFI, USDA partners with Reinvestment Fund to bring healthy food options to underserved rural, urban and Tribal communities. Reinvestment Fund serves as the National Fund Manager for USDA. It raises capital; provides financial and technical assistance to regional, state and local partnerships; and helps fund projects to improve access to fresh, healthy foods in underserved areas.

My point in posting this is that the goal of supporting farmers and ranchers is to bring real food to communities that have very limited access to regular grocery stores.

The rest of us already have access to healthy food - it's just a matter of choosing to eat real, healthy food, rather than filling up on junk food and fast food. The food deserts desperately need the ability to access real food - this should help greatly with that.

I'll be sure to post any other specifics I get about it as time goes by.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-24, 10:20

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
The rest of us already have access to healthy food - it's just a matter of choosing to eat real, healthy food, rather than filling up on junk food and fast food. The food deserts desperately need the ability to access real food - this should help greatly with that.

I'll be sure to post any other specifics I get about it as time goes by.

Thanks, and I'm kind of shocked by someone who described how they pass twenty fast food places on the way to the interchange to get to the grocery store.

Also going to help make school lunches healthier, while bringing factory farms under better regulation.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-24, 10:58

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Fast Food is death. Period.

All of the immediate members of my family can cook.

We also process our own lambs and chickens. We cannot sell this meat. I can take them to a licensed processor. For a huge cost.

I Had heard the Boys den Admin wanted to see ncrease the number of processors because the US is down to FOUR to handled 80 % of the animals going to market. A few years ago it was 6. These are the huge commercial processors.

It also means they control the price paid to the ranchers and the price to the grocery store chains. No competition. Just a monopoly.

Chicken production is the same. A monopoly.

Its not cheaper to raise my own, as i cant bulk hay and grain st bulk prices. I cant graze government land for pennies.

What I do get is cleanish meat. No antibiotics, no filler, no gassing.

We need more big processors. And more small companies. Check out your local area, they usually keep a freezer stocked with flash frozen meats, bacon and hams.