Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-24, 03:07

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default "Dark Calories" book by Dr. Cate now out: dangers of vegetable oils

I tried to find the thread which let me preorder the book, without any success, so here it is, now available:

Dark Calories: How Vegetable Oils Destroy Our Health and How We Can Get It Back

I've been a fan of her blog for years, so I'm pleased her message is getting out in a book. Written with her inimitable style and verve, it's been a pleasure to read.

Throughout, she shares the mysterious illness which threatened her ability to walk, which her fellow doctors only worsened, with well-meaning but useless drugs and procedures.

I know what that feels like. Her focus on vegetable oils creates a built-in "health shortcut," seems to me. When I started avoiding them, I was also avoiding a lot of other junk that wasn't good for me.

This is not food. It's for lubricating machines!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-24, 23:40

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I tried to find the thread which let me preorder the book, without any success ...
Was it this one?

Dark Calories: How Vegetable Oils Stole Our Health

From Dr Cate's latest newsletter:
Quote:
The entire diet and nutrition conversation is about to change.

Dark Calories: How Vegetable Oils Destroy Our Health and How We Can Get it Back is finally here!

Unless you're intentionally avoiding them, roughly 80 percent of your fat calories come from of a collection of eight factory oils. They deplete your body's antioxidants, reformulate your body fat, and deprive your body of energy, strength, and resistance to disease.

Until now, health experts have turned a blind eye to the destructive effects of vegetable oils, what I call the Hateful Eight. (Corn, Canola, Cottonseed, Soy, Sunflower, Safflower, Grapeseed, Ricebran)

Why?

The "best" minds in medicine are taught that these industrial oils prevent heart attacks. But what if they actually cause heart attacks?

Dark Calories tells the story of the biggest scandal ever perpetrated on the American public by a Medical organization. I guarantee this has affected your life in a negative way.

How?

By changing what your doctor learns about diet. Whether or not you look to your doctor for dietary advice, this influences what you eat, everything from what's on the grocery store shelves to what you're going to make for dinner tonight.

If you want to get healthy, if you want more energy, if you want freedom from medication, you need to get away from processed foods. But to do that you have to know what processed foods are.

My book The FATBURN Fix rewrote the science of metabolism.

Dark Calories is the first book to define exactly what processed food is and how to get away from it to save your life.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-24, 01:10

BF:

Yes, thanks!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-24, 03:36

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dark Calories sounds like a great companion to Good Energy by Dr Casey Means. Dr Means' Simple rules start with the three things to remove from the diet, and many low carbers with paleo leanings do well at already reducing all three.

But then she writes about the five things to ADD to your diet to have Good Energy …this part is what took me and many others ten years to figure out!

Quote:
“There's no keto or vegan or paleo. It's about what molecules do your cells need to function properly and how do you get those to them? And so we just have eight simple strategies, essentially. It's five things to put into your meals and three things to take out of your meals to essentially give your cells what they need.

And those five things are healthy protein, omega-3 fats, antioxidants, a probiotic source and fiber. And that's not exhaustive, but if you focus on getting those five things in every single meal, you are going to be giving your body so much of what it needs.

And the three things that we recommend taking out are the ultra-processed grains, ultra-processed sugars and ultra-processed industrial seed oils, which do nothing to meet the needs of your cells and essentially are empty calories that prevent you from actually getting your body what they need.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-24, 05:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Dark Calories sounds like a great companion to Good Energy by Dr Casey Means.
Looking forward to reading it once I've finished Good Energy
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-24, 05:52

BF:

Max Lugavere's latest podcast:

Why Seed Oils Are Destroying Our Health, According to This Doctor | Cate Shanahan, MD

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...fe/id1379050662

https://open.spotify.com/show/5Wkdj...f6b96010d68442e

#7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-24, 12:22

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

I recently regained, gulp, 30#, and now that its summer and shorts weather, i noticed NO cellulite. Actually, some, but very little. Gotta look hard for it!!

I credit dropping all vegetable oils, ie corn oil, safflower, canola, almost 4 years ago. And relying on EVOO, butter, beef fat, and other animal fats.

Eager to read this book!!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-24, 05:12

BF:

I've been reading Dr Cate for years, and she's always been about removing seed oils because she feels it's a neglected angle, and I agree.

Her writing about their connection with inflammation was the first "anti-inflammatory diet" change I made. With great improvement. That was very convincing.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-24, 14:52

BF:

She's a good writer, even with the technical bits. But to simplify: these industrial oils create cell membranes that can't do the job as well. Like diluting your cement mix with styrofoam, because it's cheaper.

As one can imagine, this leads to nothing good.

Roughly 30% of daily calories is coming from vegetable oil.

On a personal note, I didn't know she had a mysterious neurological issue that made it difficult for her to walk. Her husband convinced her to cut down on sugar, but this also made her aware of fatty acids. And how they work.

AND -- haven't gotten there yet -- there's a little known vegetable oil corporation clash with organized medicine that started shortly after WWII.

I'm loving it.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-24, 16:29

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I avoid the "Hateful 8" as much as I can.

Of course, eliminating them is practically impossible.

Bacon fat, butter, olive oil, and coconut oil are our choices.

I like roasted nuts, it's peanut oil, or they stay on the shelf.

Nothing with Canola (rapeseed), Corn, Cottonseed, Soy, Sunflower, Safflower, Grapeseed, or Ricebran if I can avoid it.

They are very profitable for the frankenfood corporations, but aren't necessarily all that good for you.

Of course, that's what I read, and there are other articles that argue. But I figure, the less industrialized, the more natural, the more our body has evolved to process them.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-24, 04:13

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dark Calories finally came into our library …well written and avoiding the "hateful eight" is something I have done for years after reading Deep Nutrition. I particularly appreciated her balanced review of the Keto Diet. Having ketones in your blood does not mean you are getting healthier. We need metabolic flexibility. Following a keto diet does enable you to burn dietary fat, but it doesn’t necessarily mean you’re burning your body fat … it may even make you burn protein.

Dr. Shananhan recommends a lower carb diet. A diet that is NOT low enough to qualify as keto and includes specific kinds of nutrient dense carbohydrates, [slow digesting carbs ] at least once a day. These carbohydrates may be the only way some people can escape the metabolic vicious cycle. Her plan…First spend two weeks removing all vegetable/seed oils and sugar, and any snacks. For anyone use to eating processed foods, this may be hard. Atkins and his followers haven’t focused on PUFAs, and control only the BG spikes, not the baseline needs from oxidative stress.

At the same time, I have Dr Ede’s new book, change your diet, change your mind, and it is a slog. Her keto approach seems dated with little discussion of oxidative stress and nutrients. Dr. Shanahan‘s work goes through the science on oils and keto diets has a very practical way to start eating a healthier diet.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Aug-04-24 at 07:38.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-24, 07:45

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

At the same time, I have Dr Ede’s new book, change your diet, change your mind, and it is a slog. Her keto approach seems dated with little discussion of oxidative stress and nutrients. Dr. Shanahan‘s work goes through the science on oils and keto diets has a very practical way to start eating a healthier diet.

I think it is important to remember that Dr Ede is focused on mental health, people with significant mental health challenges that disrupt their lives. She appears to rely on a combination of scientific analysis and direct clinical experience. As a person who struggled with severe depression in my life, I appreciate her focus on this issue. Very low carb really help me overcome years of depression.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-24, 07:48

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Quote:
Nothing with Canola (rapeseed), Corn, Cottonseed, Soy, Sunflower, Safflower, Grapeseed, or Ricebran if I can avoid it.

They are very profitable for the frankenfood corporations, but aren't necessarily all that good for you.

Thanks for listing the 8.

I envounter people who think rapeseed oil is good, just as I once did. Until recently learning otherwise. Of course, I had just purchased several quarts on sale. Lol

Health more important, bottles have been put away for another use.

Using beef fat has become our primary choice in the kitchen. It's cheap. 70 cents a pound from the butcher currently. Nice to cook steaks in beef fat.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-24, 09:37

Plan: ADF
Stats: 375/235.9/165 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
I recently regained, gulp, 30#, and now that its summer and shorts weather, i noticed NO cellulite. Actually, some, but very little. Gotta look hard for it!!

I credit dropping all vegetable oils, ie corn oil, safflower, canola, almost 4 years ago. And relying on EVOO, butter, beef fat, and other animal fats.

Impossible to avoid those seed oils altogether if you should ever go out to eat, etc. But I never have them in my house and therefore obviously never cook or prepare food with them. Olive oil and avocado oil are the two I keep around the house. It’s been probably at least 10 years or more since I gave them up. And I still have lumpy bumpy unsightly cellulite all over my hips and thighs. I hate the idea of wearing shorts. 😢
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-24, 14:33

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I keep the seed oils out of the house too. But of course, you can't completely avoid them.

But the body has the ability to take care of itself, as long as you don't overwhelm it.

And I don't think just because a person calls himself/herself a doctor and writes a book, means that book is the bible. It could be a covert advertisement, or written in good faith. It could work for one and not the other or nobody at all.

Gather from many sources, and see what works for you.

I tried a few different diets, some of which have stellar reputations, but didn't work for me. When I found the Ketogenic diet, it did. Decades later, it's still working. Plus, I'm healthier than probably 90% of the other folks my age.

Will it work for everyone? I doubt it. We are all different.