Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 14:16

Plan: Aaah So Many!
Stats: 125/125/125
BF:
Progress:
Default AAAH! Did I mess up?

Okay, Tuesdays and Thursdays I have During-Summer Football practice. Before my Practice I had Ephedrine-Free Ripped Fuel (which contains high caffeine rates) and also I had a Carb Watchers Lean Body Bar. I had rang their hotline asking if they had any hidden Carbs.. they said they didnt.

The back lists as..

Total Carb: 18g
Dietry Fiber: Less than 1g
Other Carbs: 16G

Then it has the notice saying that only 2G Carbs should be counted towards your Carb count, they said...

*Onlu these carbs should be counted towards your low carb diet, since the remaining 16g if Carbs come from Glycerine fiber and Polydextose.

AAAAAH! Did I completely mess up my Carbwatch? I'm only in Day 2? If it is a dramtic rise in Carbs won't I burn then up in my football exercise? Will this make me increase in waistline just because I might have had some added Carbs?

Please help guys, I'm going crazy over this!

- Shiz

Here's an official statement from Labrada.com about the Lean Body Bars, note, Labrada.com makes Lean Body bars.. so their prolly just lying so they can sell more.. but they say...

HOUSTON Dec. 6 – Labrada Nutrition announced today that effective with the introduction of its new Carb Watchers™ Texas Pecan Pie Lean Body® Bar, the dietary ingredient known as glycerine (glycerol) will be included under the "Total Carbohydrate" count on the Nutrition Facts panels of its Lean Body® Bars. Other Low Carb Lean Body® Bars will follow suit as product packaging is exhausted. The change is taking place in order to ensure compliance with FDA rulings on the classification of glycerine as a carbohydrate. The products will not change substantially, except for the word substitution noted above.

The FDA classifies a carbohydrate as what is left over after fat, protein and ash have been removed. Glycerine is a carbohydrate by their definition. Structurally, glycerine and carbohydrates are different and here is why: Glycerine is a sweet, syrupy, colorless liquid that is used as a sweetener and softener by the food industry. Carbohydrates are polyhydroxy aldehydes or ketones, or substances that yield such compounds on hydrolysis. Glycerol (1,2,3-propanetriol) is defined as a naturally occurring trivalent alcohol. Glycerol oxidation yields 4.32 kcals per gram when oxidized to carbon dioxide and water. So even though the number of calories in carbohydrates and glycerol are similar, structurally, they are not identical.

More importantly, glycerine does not significantly elevate blood glucose (blood sugar) and insulin like conventional carbohydrates do. That makes glycerine an ideal ingredient in nutritional products for people concerned about controlling their blood sugar and insulin levels, especially those on a restricted carbohydrate or restricted sugar diet. Eating conventional carbohydrates, especially those high in sugars (i.e., those that provoke a sharp rise in blood glucose and subsequently insulin) can have a detrimental effect on body weight and blood lipids. The newly labeled Carb Watchers™ Lean Body® Bars (formerly "Low Carb Lean Body® bars) will feature this explanation on the wrapper to educate consumers: "Carb Watchers™ Lean Body® bars are ideal for people watching carbohydrates in their diets because they contain 3g sugars or less per bar and are high in glycerine, a sugar alcohol that, although included in the "Total Carbohydrate" number of the Nutrition Facts panel, has minimal impact on insulin levels. This bar contains 7-10 grams of glycerine. Glycerine contains 4.32 calories per gram."

WHAT CAN I DO GUYS? Please help I'm freaking out over all this stuff!

- Shiz
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 14:37
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

The one thing that scares me is any of those lowcarb bars. I have read soooooo many posts stating they stall weightloss.
You can check out the hidden carbs inspector too.

If you are on day 2....keep on truckin. If it makes you feel better just keep with induction for a couple extra days.

It may be a good idea to bring something else to your practice.

Go easier on yourself too...a 16 carb bar isn't going to be the end of the world....it just may stall your goals.

cin