Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 15:06

Plan: schwarzbein
Stats: 138/138/116 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Default Craving Chocolate

I am having intense chocolate cravings. Before starting this eating plan, I had never really dieted and ate whatever I wanted but didn't have any cravings except for chocolate once a month. I am now craving dark chocolate every day and the cravings are getting more intense the longer I am on the plan. Does anyone know why this may be happening? This wasn't really covered in SPI.

I have tried having some dark chocolate but this doesn't seem to alleviate the cravings much, in about 3 hours I will crave chocolate again. I have tried eating a teaspoon of honey thinking maybe I was craving something sweet but it didn't help. It is to the point now that I don't really want to eat any other food except for chocolate.

I'm not sure if I will be able to stay on this program or why this is happening or even what I should do about it? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 16:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

1. Try eating some protein when these cravings hit. Most cravings can't last when protein is given instead.

2. Try taking a magnesium/calcium supplement. I have read that PMS chocolate cravings are the body's way of getting some of the magnesium it needs or wants. So perhaps you are craving the only thing that the body knows as having what it lacks.

Since the chocolate itself didn't do it, try these two. Also be aware that many of us have lost the ability to distinguish between hunger and thirst. So try drinking some water when the craving hits - just to put off giving in.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 17:34
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi ya rjmolly:

I think Dr. S. mentions getting some dark unsweetened chocolate to self medicate. Your seratonin levels might be low which could account for the sugar and/or caffeine cravings. As the adrenals heal, the cravings for stimulants should subside.

Try increasing your intake of tryptophan-rich foods, such as almonds, cottage cheese, oatmeal, peanut butter, peanuts, shellfish, soy foods, tuna or turkey. Tryptophan is required to rebuild seratonin. In SPII, Dr. S. lists several supplements to help with seratonin levels. St. John's Wort helps "plug the seratonin drain". So does SAM-e but it's horribly expensive.

People with severely burned out adrenals run into problems when they stop taking stimulants cold turkey. What have you eliminated so far? Did you quit cold turkey? She doesn't really address any of this in SPI since it's geared towards the "insulin" equation instead of the triad of hormones.

Which plan in SPI are you following? Is it possible that you may be eating too many carbs? You are balancing the chocolate with protein as per Dr. S.'s suggestions, right? If you are craving sugar, I'd look into SPII b/c it suggests adrenal problems. Just another thought.

Another trick is to put powdered L-glutamine under your tongue (sublingual) to help get rid of a craving. Never works for me, but you never know.....

Good luck with the cravings. I can certainly sympathize. They've hit me with a vengeance now that my cycles are trying to normalize themselves. I've made progress, but the process is somewhat frustrating.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Tue, Aug-19-03 at 17:53.