Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-09-02, 09:55
Registered Member

Plan: lean for life
Stats: 168/159/129
BF:
Progress: 23%
Question How do different types of Tanita scales compare?

Hi!

I'm thinking of getting a Tanita scale - there are so many different types tho. From what I've heard the ones that measure body fat percentage do not do so very accurately. I'm more interested in accurate weight measurement for a reasonable price.

Can anyone tell me how the different types of Tanita scales (BF, solar, digital etc) compare? It will definitely help make a choice!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 08:08
Registered Member

BF:
Unhappy

Hmm... I can't even seem to find Tanita's in my area - but I've seen a lot of other scales on the market even those that measure body fat. Does anyone know how these compare? Like Resolve Body Fat Monitor etc? I just basically want a scale that is totally reliable for weight measure...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 08:29

Plan: SBD/Atkins
Stats: 176.6/172.2/105 Female 62"
BF:40%/40%/18%
Progress: 6%
Default Don't bother...

I have a Tanita Body Fat Monitor (the family one that you can program 4 different people). I paid about $200 in 1998 for it and didn't find out until about a year ago that it only measures the body fat for your lower body. The electrical impedance system is low voltage (or whatever) and therefore can only accurately measure your BF up a certain height before it bounces back and analyzes the reading. Which would explain why my BF is always in the high 40's since all my fat is in my butt and hips. Plus it can't tell the difference between fat on your butt and fat from the steak in your gut!
My husband is having issues with it too as he qualifies as an "athlete" but for a while couldn't figure out why his BF was reading 4% when he has a little bit of lovehandles (pretty unnoticeable but definitely there) and a little stomach pooch. Out MD told us that the scales was measuring only his legs which are lean lean lean...

In short, the scale kind of stinks at accurately measuring BF but the weight is dead on. It is very accurate almost depressingly so.
I would stick with the regular weight one unless you have $3000 to get the ones with electrodes that the docs use.

Have fun choosing!
Hope this helps. And please all you kinetic physics scientific people, feel free to explain how this electrical impedance thing works. My husband compares it to a depth sounder which would imply that I'm big as a fishing boat??

NAncy
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 08:49
Registered Member

BF:

Hey thanks Hannahsmom!

that was very useful information - I carry most of my fat in lower body too so i can imagine the reading it would have for me!

I think I will just go with a regular weight scale then, without the BF measure. Do you know how accurate the other Tanita models are (the ones that don't have BF built in? I am wondering about the solar powered tanita scale since so far this is the only type I seem to find in my area. I have heard conflicting views about the reliablity of the health-o-meter so don't know if I should get that one... All I really want is a reliable scale that won't fluctuate depending on how I'm standing on it. Suggestions anyone?