Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-01, 15:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Question Atkins in New Zealand

Is there an Atkins Club in New Zealand????
Is there somewhere we can purchase the Atkins Products in New Zealand???

I am just starting out and have mad the mistake of eating no vegies and am suffering from the dreaded diaorreah. How long does this take to go away????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-01, 11:15
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Gamag,

Welcome aboard, I think we have our own growing New Zeland low-carb club.

By the way, your message got stuck, this happens when you click the "Create a poll" without completing the options. It's not needed to post a message.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-01, 11:22

Stats: 181/138/125
BF:
Progress: 77%

Quote:
I am just starting out and have mad the mistake of eating no vegies and am suffering from the dreaded diaorreah. How long does this take to go away????

I had that for about the first week of induction and a little bit into the second week. Almost always in the morning. Now that induction's over, I'm having the opposite problem. Seems like the constiption is very common after induction. Start taking your fiber from the start and maybe you can avert problem number 2.

Raven
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-01, 12:08

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome to the forum, Gamag (i love pallindromes). You've found a great place for advice and support. Help is just a post away

Diahreah during the first week or so is quite common. It's so common its called "transient" diahreah Drink plenty of water and make sure you're taking some potassium and a good calcium / magnesium supplement. You're dehydrating and you need to replace the water and the nutrients. It will help you feel better.

Cheers,
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-01, 14:14

Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%

Hi gamag

I'm from Wellington and wondered the same thing myself. I gather from eebee who is in Dunedin, that Woolworths stocks some Atkins products, but I haven't checked it out yet.

I've been doing this for nearly three weeks now, an the body sems to even itself out after about a week. In this forum I have so far discovered you,me eebee and Bloom from NZ. Where abouts in NZ are you?

Good luck and keep in touch.

Lesley
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-01, 01:29

Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Red face gamag

I live in Hamilton. We do have a Woolworths so I will go see if they have. I am doing great for breakfasts and teas but really struggling with lunches, so if I can find some Atkins Products this may help. I wonder if wecan form a NZ chat page cause I know at least four here in Hamilton alone doing this diet.

Thank you so much for your responses. I am 8 weeks into the diet so was surprised about the diaoreah, but all OK now. Found out eventually after 10 days of it that there is a rather nasty virus going around. Bombed out majorly on carbs this last week, probably as a result of the virus and my body saying put something back in. I may well now do induction again. Did any of you use keto sticks. My count never seems to leave the palest color. Just for your info, I have been long term doing weightwatchers and Jenny Craig. both of them having worked, but could never hold it off. At least with this I have yet to gain weight which feels like major progress, and I love eating all the yummy foods I can now have after years of very little of anything.
I have found a NZ/Australia carb counter put out by Family Circle. You can buy it in Whitcoulls for $5.95.

Keep in touch GAMAG
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-01, 03:18

Stats: 181/138/125
BF:
Progress: 77%

I wouldn't worry too much about the shade of color on the ketosticks. Some people never show any change at all and still lose weight. Others never make it past the palest color. Some consistently show in the darker ranges. Everyone is different. There's a great article in the "tips" section (top of the page) about ketosis and ketosticks that might answer a lot of your questions.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-01, 13:51

Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%

Hi gamag

Good to hear of more NZers doing this thing. I'd be keen to regularly keep in touch too.

I notice you haven't recorded any of your stats - how are you progressing after 8 weeks?

I haven't bothered with the ketostix, have just monitored weight and measurements to see how I'm progressing. After not quite three weeks I'm already finding clothes which were tight are now comfortable.

Like you I have tried other diets on and off, but found I was always hungry, and when you do come off the weight comes straight back

I'm hoping that this can be a way of life for me as others have achieved in this forum. So far it's a breeze

Lesley
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-01, 08:00

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

welcome gamag! we certainly do seem to have quite a few New Zealanders here! the more, the merrier!