Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 18:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/187/130 Female 64 inches
BF:36.7
Progress: 12%
Post Wish it were that easy.....arrrgh!

What an experience I had today....

I went to my doctor for a follow-up on some medication, and asked her about doing Atkins. I've been on the plan for about 3 weeks and, despite staying on the program closely, have only managed to lose about 2 lbs. Considering I have some medical issues (PCOS to be precise), I asked her what she thought about other low carb plans or options. She put it to me as 'Well, Atkins is very unhealthy, and while low carb in general is good, why don't you just start making better choices?" I reexplained that I've been on Weight Watchers and other programs, but was always hungry and rarely happy. She told me that I just needed more willpower, and so long as I don't keep any 'bad' food in the fridge, I'll be fine. By this point, I'm so frustrated with everything, that this really upset me and I even started shedding tears. She responded "Fine, then, do a low carb diet. But you really need to just stop dieting and start eating healthy food in moderation." As if it were that easy.

Not sure if anyone else has had a similar experience, but although I know I am an extremely bright and competent woman, it's just NOT that easy. Food has been the one thing in my life I've never been able to completely control. I know that no one can make you feel inferior without your own consent, but I still ended up walking out of her office feeling like a dumb and weak individual. She finally consented to give me a referral to a weight counselor/type doctor. All I want is some help with getting off this extra weight, and I want to be healthy. I wish it really were as easy as my doctor says. (And of course, she's tiny.)

Just needed to share/vent. Maybe there's other people out there that understand that sometimes it takes more than willpower, and whatever 'it' is, we wish we knew, or at least our doctors....

NovaMusic9
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 18:43
100% pork rind free

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 215/182.5/180 Female 5 ' 10 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hi Nova,
I also consider myself "an extremely bright and competent woman," but nearly every doctor I've ever seen has treated me like an idiot. I think doctors in general are condescending. I used to think it was only male doctors, so I started going only to women, but they've made me feel stupid too. When I find one that doesn't, I hang on for dear life! Too bad they don't focus more on "bedside manner" in medical school.

What your doctor doesn't understand is that Atkins maintenance is pretty much "making better, lower-carb choices." It's just a structured plan to get you to that point. If low-carb in general is good, how can Atkins be bad? Duh! Now she's the dummy.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 19:19

Stats: 162/151/140 Female 5ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 50%

Well, my dr. is all for Atkin's. Like he and she said you still eat lots of different foods it not a starvation (sp) thing like other diets. You can eat and be full. Some dr. only believe in what they where tought in school and if they have never had a weight problem they will never understand. I would not worry about what she said. Weight trainers are even suggesting Atkin's. You are far from stupid just because you did not go to medical school. You do what you feel is right and what makes you feel good.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 19:22

BF:

Oh ya,
you should start a journal on here and we will check it out to see what you are eating and maybe we can figure out why you are not losing weight. I could be a number of things. Lots of foods have hidden carbs and say 0 carbs on the lable. Low carb bars and shakes will slow and even stop weight loss if you eat to many. Be sure to be eating 3 cups of low carb veggies. Use fitday.com to help count your carbs it is a great tool. You can do it and we will help you. Everyone's body is different. Some just need to try different things and this site is full of information.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 19:50

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

man..you should have head the nasty little lecture I got in the checkout lane about how I was killing myself my doing atkins. I feel bad because this person was NO doctor and she STILL made me feel bad!

I am discouraged that doctors say its bad..it really does make me wonder. However...I have never heard of anything bad that happened as a result of this WOL that was legit.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 20:11

Stats: 298/253/175 Female 5ft 11in
BF:
Progress: 37%

My doctor really suprised me. I was there for a visit a couple weeks ago. He looked at my chart and noticed how much weight I've lost since my last visit and asked what I was doing. Well, I told him Atkins and was waiting for "the look" But he said "good job, its working for you keep it up. Just make sure to get the blood work done so we can make sure everything is alright." I was really suprised. I guess not all doctors have their heads buried in the sand, lol.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 21:20
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I've recently had a run in with a skinny, evil nurse... I understand.

An old EMT joke about paramedics changed to "doctors"...

"What's the difference between God and a doctor?"
"God doesn't think he's a doctor..."

#8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 02:25

Plan: Charles Clark/Atkins
Stats: 164/161/124 Female 5' 4"
BF:28%/28%/21%
Progress: 8%

NoVaMusic9 - I have been there also, don't dispair it was my dietician that basically said try harder!! and yeah it really knocked me for six - but do what you feel is right for you.

And yeah start the journal and don't fret over it - if you feel great then kepe it up.

I think the only time this can be bad is if you don't stick to it every day, ie eggs and stuff for breakie and lunch and then cake in the evening - that would just screw everything up.

As for not losing - the first 2 weeks I also didn't lose but found that I had to remove certain types of foods that might be ok for others but not for me.

Good luck and please do not give up
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 06:02
Registered Member

Plan: Aaisier Zuccarum Plan
Stats: // Female 52
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree

"What's the difference between God and a doctor?"
"God doesn't think he's a doctor..."

LMAO ...oh so true and I have worked with them. Well, my Dr. said do whatever works for you, but realize that at some point low-carb might not work because you will want the carbs. Ummm...whateeeever. I know that if I try anything else, that "some point" of wanting more foods would be everyday for the rest of my life.
I know my body better than some person who speaks with me for 5 mins tops every now and then. As for the medical community's support. I don't freakin need it! Pfffffftttttt!
Its just as Dr. Atkins talks about in the book, we can do so many great things as a society, yet they can't put together the pieces to figure out why we keep getting FATTER and FATTER.
I won't ever be sold again with the "you just need more willpower, clean out the fridge and cabniets, journal it, join a group of women for meetings where you have all suffered for 6 days to get to a meeting where you can line up and weigh like cows after clawing to hold, eating your "points" and staying hungry and tired, only to find you dropped 1/2 a pound"
Oh ferrrget that! Never again. Oh and while I'm on this soapbox, let's address those who think I eat because I wasn't a happy child. Good lord. Maybe I ate and thought about those things more as my depression reached deeper and deeper dephs because I was filling my body with poison, that made me feel like I was worthless. Its not my heart and soul that's the problem, I AM strong daggumit.
Okay ... ...I'm off it, sorry, had to vent.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 08:26

BF:

Well,
I think, IthinkIcan, said it all. You go girl. I feel the same way about the God Dr. The know it all's of medicene.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 08:40
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Nova
Just wondering- do people with PCOS have high insulin levels?

My former dr. sounds very much like you're dr. I gained most of my weight following her advice. I've found things are much better now that I have a dr that is for lowcarb. I can talk to him about ketosis and he understands why I'm eating coconut oil and taking carnitine, and concerned about my potassium level, and how these things relate to the medications I take and my health condition. With my old dr. we were never on the same page, and it led to me feeling misunderstood and conflicted about advice she gave. I'm a lot more at peace having a dr. that I feel is on my side.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 09:13
Registered Member

Plan: ???
Stats: 145/145/127 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 0%

Its just as bad as doing Atkins or any LC to the letter, striclty and not having any success and having other LCers tell you your not applying yourself. I slipped up once ONCE and not even all that badly and all I get is your not losing because youre not trying. I know your frustartion well.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 19:46

Stats: 195/187/130 Female 64 inches
BF:36.7
Progress: 12%
Default When science gets ahead of mindset....

Ok, it feels really good to see so many posts from people who've had the same encounter. I'm sure my doctor is one of thousands who preach the low-fat high-carb diet as the gospel truth in achieving and maintaining weight loss. (then why the chronic obesity in America, I ask??)

NawChem- Yes, PCOS is linked to insulin resistance. The PCOS websites I've visited have often referred to the Insulin Resistance Diet, and I may consider trying that if I can't find what needs tweaking for Atkins to work for me. It does seem like a cruel irony, though; after years of unhappiness and yo-yoing on low-fat diets (I agree with you, IThinkICan), to finally find a diet that is not only hailed for universal weight loss, but one that I enjoy -- yet I don't lose weight. Sometimes it makes me so mad at myself, I could almost punish my body with carbs!!! ;-)

SarahWeb- Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. One week from today marks my 4-week mark on Atkins, as well as my 24th birthday. Hoping something will kick in before then, otherwise I'll try to find another plan. I just wish I could get this one to work.

Peace, love, and SMART DOCTORS to all!

NovaMusic9
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 20:18
Registered Member

Stats: 240/203/150 Female 5'4"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 41%

Well, in my experiences, I have found that I can always find someone to tell me what I want to hear and I can always find someone to contradict them. I think you just need to rely on your instincts and because you are a bright and competent woman, go with it. I know that I feel so much better since LCing, that I wouldn't stop if every doctor agreed that it is unhealthy (which they will never all agree). I think that Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, SlimFast, NutraSystem, The Cabbage Soup Diet, just to name a few I've done, were more unhealthy for me than Atkins could ever be. Why? Because I felt so deprived and showed so little results that after a few weeks or a couple months, I would binge, go off it and try to come back to it, after gaining at least triple the amount back that I had lost by my suffering. So, as for doctors, remember Atkins was one! Whatever road you end up taking, I wish you good health and happiness.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 21:14

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 180/174/142 Female 65.5 inches
BF:32.5%/30.2%/20%
Progress: 16%

Nova,
It could be that you are metabolicly resistant, like Dr. Atkins talks about in his book. Or maybe you have a food allergy/intolerance. I suggest reading or re-reading the parts of DANDR that discuss this. It might be helpful. Don't give up!

About the Dr. -she isn't god. And med school maybe "alot of work, blah blah blah", but it doesn't give someoen the ultimate athority over everything. Drs. are busy people. The most likely don't have the time to read every bit of new research. Plus many have been brainwashed by our culture's constant high-carb/lowfat push.

You are not dumb or weak. The reason people can't stay on HighCarb/LowFat plans is they are starving themselves. Humanbeings are not ment to starve. Don't let this make you think less of yourself. That doctor isn't in your shoes, your life, or your blood stream. Listen to your body. Do what makes you feel healthy and energized.
Blessings,
~CindyLynn~