Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 19:44

Plan: Atkins 20 carbs a day
Stats: 250/235/130 Female 5'3
BF:40%
Progress:
Unhappy No motivation!! Which exercise is the best to start with?

I have never excersiced before so I have no knowledge on how I should start. Which excersices work the lower abdomin area and inner thigh?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 02:19
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/210/195 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 29%
Smile best exercise

The best exercise is usually the easiest exercise... walking. We all do it and it has it's benefits. It's easy to do and it's a start. Once you get enough walking, move on to jogging or riding a bike. Then off to the gym or something. It's 1 step at a time with exercise. If you try too much to begin with, you may get discouraged and quit all together. For even more support, find a workout buddy. Motivation goes a long way.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 06:42

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.EUBANKS
I have never excersiced before so I have no knowledge on how I should start. Which excersices work the lower abdomin area and inner thigh?
S. The best advice is to start slow and with something low impact that you can do anytime, anywhere. As suggested, walking is a great start.

Motivation will likely come as you progress. You'll walk further, faster and you'll see the results in how you feel and how you look. Adding in hills and / or stairs can further motivate you. I remember when I started 'jogging' (read walking and jogging for 30 seconds then walking again), just adding in extra blocks was extremely motivating.

As for the specific body areas - nothing will target one area in particular for fat loss. Fat is lost all over, and how you lose it is determined by how you gained it - it's in your genes. Doing a thousand crunches or leg presses won't force your body to eat that area's fat more than another area's fat. However, doing resistance work targeting those areas (and others) will ensure you have firm, tight muscles under the fat, so when you do lose it you'll look all that much better.

Cheers,
-N
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 12:44

Plan: MyLCWOL
Stats: 485/366/210 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Sam,
I agree with Nat. Start slow, keep it simple. Also, I recommend scheduling a time to do your exercise. My recommendation is to get it out of the way as soon as you can in the morning. This helps because you are less likely to make excuses to blow it off later in the day. Studies have shown it takes about 6 weeks for an activity to become a habit - get moving and make exercise your new habit.

Regards,
Lux
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 15:06
Registered Member

Plan: Various
Stats: 196/172/154 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 57%

Hi S.

Good advice here already. Think of something that you can do at least three times this week. Just this week. Keep it simple. Walking is great, of course. Then next week decide to do the same again, or change something.

What exercise have you enjoyed in the past? Do you have anyone to exercise with? Any classes you could join?

Another fun thing is to try something completely new. If you've never been to a class before, or used a Swiss ball, or done weights, or played badminton, then give it a go, just for fun. No pressure.

I do resistance training three times a week (weights at the gym, arms and legs three times in two weeks, upper body three times in two week), and then some kind of cardio three times a week (eliptical trainer, treadmill, walk in the park). I didn't exercise for 14 years (age 16 to 30) and I joined a gym on impulse. I was slow to begin but I gradually got the habit and now I am officially someone who exercises.

Gez
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 17:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/???/120 Female 5' 3
BF:way/too/much!!
Progress: 0%

Any exercise you enjoy and can do often is good. Try putting on sneakers and going to the mall. This way you can window shop AND exercise at the same time! It's not so boring that way and you can check out the stores you want to have a shopping spree at when you reach your goal.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 18:44

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I can add from my own experiance. Two an a half years a go I was in your position. I started with a stationary bike (I felt I was too heavy for walking, everything hurts), and just stuck to the routine. It took over 3 months till I started feeling results. At the begining it was very frastrating, as I remember not being able to bike more then 15 min on low resistance... But at one pint it started moving, and it became easier, and I took on weight lifting, and bought a road bike, and today I am in better shape than I was in my youth. I ride my bike 40-50 mile every saturday, I lift weights and do cardio 4 times a week.. I am strong, and have levels of endurance I thought never possible..

See my before and now pics (link is in my sig)... the "before" is before starting exercising, and the "now" 3 months into Atkins...
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 10:00
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

I started from a sedentary situation too.. Hiking was the first thing, and then longer and harder hiking, added weights, added HIIT and suddenly my new body (strength/performance) opened up a world of fun things Rock climbing, swimming, biking - anything. Whatever you choose, the most important thing is to have a consistent routine and to always challenge yourself.

Good luck!
Meg