Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 12:57
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%
Cool Rave Reviews Low Carb Cheesecake

My local Super Target has started selling a product called Rave Reviews Low Carb Cheesecake in the bakery section. It's made by Panarama, Inc. of Atlanta, GA. I've seen a "plain" New York version of the cheesecake, which I've tried, and a raspberry swirl version of the cheesecake, which I haven't tried.

The cheesecakes are 9 inches in diameter and cut into 12 large slices. They sell for $19.99 each. At $1.66 a slice, I consider this a good deal for a commercial cheesecake. Also, the box says that the product "can be frozen and refrozen".

The taste of the New York cheesecake is excellent. Each slice has 6 g net carbs. The only thing that I don't like about this product is that there are 23 g of sugar alcohols per slice and the primary sweetener is maltitol, which is generally considered to be the worst of the sugar alcohols in terms of glycemic index and laxative effects. (However, in eating just one slice as a serving, I haven't noticed any gastric distress.) Each slice has 460 calories. This high calorie count must be because each slice has a thick crust of crushed pecans. I suspect that not eating the pecan crust would cut off at least 100 calories per slice.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 05:45

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

good god.. 460 calories a slice with 23g of SA?? Man that must be one sweet tasting cheesecake.. i think ill stay away from that one. I hate Maltitol.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 05:58
Getting Healthy!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker
good god.. 460 calories a slice with 23g of SA?? Man that must be one sweet tasting cheesecake.. i think ill stay away from that one. I hate Maltitol.

It's not unusually sweet. The slices are big and the cake is tall. A slice is considerably bigger than, for example, a slice of Ruby Tuesday cheesecake with 360 calories.

Last edited by CarolynC : Mon, May-03-04 at 07:32.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 07:17

Plan: Atkins (calories count)
Stats: 204/148/150 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Hi CarolynC, thanks for the heads up! A friend of mine recently started Atkins and her weakness is cheesecake, and malitol has no evil effects for her, luckily. I just made her a cheesecake, (thanks Karen, for the awesome recipe!) but by the time I bought all of the ingrediants it was not cheap, probably around $10 or $12, plus it still had to be made, et. I am going to see if this cheesecake you found is available anywhere else, as we do not have SuperTarget stores here. I did an internet search but found no company information. Can you post any details found on the box which would help me find them? Thanks again!

Last edited by Dena241 : Mon, May-03-04 at 07:23.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 07:31
Getting Healthy!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena241
Can you post any details found on the box which would help me find them? Thanks again!

made by Panarama, Inc. of Atlanta, GA - that's all the company details found on the box.

This wasn't in my Super Target even a week ago, so it must be a new product. I've been thinking that a low carb cheesecake would be a logical product to produce, so I've been on the lookout for one for months. My local Super Wal-Mart, Winn Dixie, and Publix don't sell these (yet).

Good luck with the search.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 10:05

Plan: Atkins (calories count)
Stats: 204/148/150 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

CarolynC, thanks for the quick reply! I can request that my local Kroger carry the cheesecake, but they are asking me to provide the UPC number so they can look for it. Can I trouble you to post that information for me? Thank you so much!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 11:03
Getting Healthy!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena241
CarolynC, thanks for the quick reply! I can request that my local Kroger carry the cheesecake, but they are asking me to provide the UPC number so they can look for it. Can I trouble you to post that information for me? Thank you so much!

7 85391 10024 8

The beginning 7 and ending 8 are not really under the barcode, but are off to the side of it. So, I don't know if they are technically considered to be part of the barcode.

Good luck!