Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 19:44
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 158/141/135
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Hmmmm... a plateau????

So what's your definition of a plateau or stall, what causes your plateau, and why do you think you have them with certain foods?
I think we can all agree that if we exceed in carbs, this will obviously cause a problem. But beyond that, there are certain foods for certain individuals that seem to slow our weight loss down. I'm anxious to hear your input! Have a great day!

- tskako
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 20:30
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

A stall is generally two weeks, a plateau starts at 6 weeks. A plateau is a plateau if you have been doing what works, and it stops working. If you have been having carb indulgences here and there, then the plateau is self-imposed.

We had a huge discussion on "stallers" just a little while ago. Here's the link:

A List of Foods Most Likely To Cause Stalls

Have a look at the Stalls and Plateaus article in LC Tips at the top of the page too.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 22:58
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you Karen for your information. I remember reading the post you have added a link for. It was really great!
What I'm wondering is if anybody has a theory of why they think certain foods cause a stall or plateau. I'm curious if anybody feels that our thoughts and ways of thinking can have an effect on our weight loss.
Have a great day!

- tskako
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 02:02
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
What I'm wondering is if anybody has a theory of why they think certain foods cause a stall or plateau.

Oh, I'm full of unfounded theories! Keep in mind, that I'm real hard core!

Dairy products - cow, goat and sheeps milk is meant for the infant animals of those species. Not for humans. Would you eat human milk cheese? Why not?

Processed meats - Preservatives! Why do we eat things that have such a long shelf life? If it's preserving the meat, might it not preserve us?

Artificial sweeteners - Can cause an insulin spike in some people, just like the real thing. See LC substitutes.

Low Carb Substitutes - What made you fat? If you eat substitutes you're unwilling to let go of the past. Past stuff made you fat. Past thoughts made you fat. Eating substitutes brings the past into your present. And, you really don't want to be there if you're making this into a way of life.

Pork Rinds, Nuts, etc. - These are snack foods. Now, are you really truly hungry when you are eating them, or are you just eating for something to do? Do you need something in your mouth to take your mind off something? Why snack? If you're hungry, eat!

Quote:
I'm curious if anybody feels that our thoughts and ways of thinking can have an effect on our weight loss.

Like totally! I think that if you stress over making your body behave the way you think it should, you'll never get ahead. You got fat "naturally" and no amount of stressing over it made your fat go away. You lose weight the same way as you gained it. Naturally. Sometimes life gets in the way. Sometimes your husband leaves you. Sometimes you have a lousy day at work. No one is going to be perfect overnight, or in a month, or in a year. You will never be perfect. Learn to be comfortable and grateful instead.

You may be losing weight, but still feel and think of yourself as being fat. The thread about why people gained weight is very illuminating. You reach a certain point and OMG! there's no more protection from the world. You may want to lose weight really badly, but you're afraid of what might happen if you do become the epitome of slim. What happens? Body and mind in conflict. You sit on a plateau until you can sort it out. You may shake out of it by a fat-fast or some other kind of thing, but you will plateau again. Are you truly prepared for life as a thin person, even though it's what you want most? Are you prepared to do what it takes to achieve it?

If you're a compulsive overeater, having an LC eating plan will help, but your desire to eat compulsively won't go away. The thoughts and feelings that you eat compulsively over will still be there. You can overeat or binge and still be LC. Self-aware work is needed. Don't be a victim.

I bet you're sorry you asked!

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 09:31

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care

Karen, I always love reading your theories! You've got such great insights.

tskako, food sensitivities may play a role in the plateau. While some foods are LC legal, they may not be right for your physiology. I'm in the process, myself, of eliminating eggs for 7-10 days to see if maybe they're what's stalling me (gee, I hope not--I so depend on eggs in this WOE!) Nuts and tomatoes are also pretty common food allergies, even though they're LC and "paleo"
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 11:22
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Karen, I always love reading your theories! You've got such great insights.

I love reading your posts too raz! I always learn something from them.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 17:43
Registered Member

BF:

I'm not sorry for asking at all, Karen.
I asked this because I find it interesting that one person is affected by a certain food and the other isn't? So I'm wondering if psycology plays on our metabolism and they way our body breaks down our food. Just a thought.
Thanks razzle for your info.

- tskako
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 20:41
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
So I'm wondering if psycology plays on our metabolism and they way our body breaks down our food.

Brain and body have to work in harmony to create mental and physical harmony. It's part of the LC learning process, if you choose to view it as a learning process.

Why do low carbers sometimes crave sweet and starchy foods, even though they are through induction?

Karen