Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 20:24
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%
Default Bayer's "One a Day" has 20 CARBS??

Tell me this is not true. I take these every day. A regular poster here said they called the company and asked, and that was what they were told. That makes me sick.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 20:29
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I'd be pretty skeptical about that, myself.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 20:32
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
I'd be pretty skeptical about that, myself.

I am rather skeptical about it too. I do not use that brand but that just seems odd for one tiny pill.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 20:44
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

20g of carbohydrate is approx. 4 tsp sugar. Is the pill the size of 4 tsp of sugar?

Perhaps the amount is 20 milligrams, which is 0.02 grams.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 20:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Weigh the pill...There CANNOT be more carbs in the pill than the total weight of the pill. So, if it weighs 4g, it CANNOT have more than 4g of Carbs. 28g = 1 ounce. Unless the pill weighs almost 1 ounce, it CANNOT have 20g of Carbs. For reference, 50 TUMS [which are large pills] weigh 60g according to my scale, or about 1.2g each. They have about 0.75g of Carbs each, because Sucrose [WHITE SUGAR] is the first ingredient, followed by Calcium Carbonate, Cornstarch, Talc, Mineral Oil, etc...Unless your "One-a-Day" pill is as big as 15 TUMS and made from pure Sugar, it does not have 20g of Carbs.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 03:18

Stats: 155/103/110 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 116%

I've emailed them and they said there was a negligable amount of carbs, so it must be less than 1.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 09:37

Stats: 228/207/150 Female 5/6"
BF:
Progress: 27%

I called and asked them about the one a day weight smart. They said it has 39 *milligrams* carbs. Maybe the other poster thought they said grams. The carbs are negligible at 39 milligrams.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 10:24

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsarajo
I called and asked them about the one a day weight smart. They said it has 39 *milligrams* carbs. Maybe the other poster thought they said grams. The carbs are negligible at 39 milligrams.

39mg = 0.0039g. Definitely negligible IMHO. BTW, you could calculate the Non-Vitamin/Mineral Content [which would probably be mostly Carbs] if you had alot of extra time to spare and have a decent knowledge of Chemistry, Algebra, and Daily Values. I've done it for pills with few ingredients [such as a Calacium supplement] before, but never for a "One-A-Day" pill which would have dozens of Vitamin/Mineral ingredients. Basically, you have to take the percentages of DV, figure out how many milligrams of the Vitamin/Mineral there is, then look at the label and determine which ingredient provides that Vitamin/Mineral [if more than one ingredient provides it, it may be impossible to know how much of each there is and to get an exact figure,] then you'd calculate how much of that ingredient would be needed to get the amount of the Vitamin/Mineral the label claims to have [this requires a copy of the periodic table of elements and a reference for the composition of various Vitamins.] Take the sum of the weights of these ingredients and subtract it from the total weight of 1 serving [which is usually 1 pill, but can be 2 or 3 in some cases.] Whatever's leftover in the weight of the non-Vitamin/Mineral ingredients...basically, any Sugars/Starches/Fibers/etc...that may have been added.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 10:32

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

#10   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 11:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 164/146.0/135 Female 64 in
BF:38.5/31/20
Progress: 62%

First off, I think the fact people could consider the possibility that an aspirin not weighing nearly 20g could have 20g of carbs goes to show what a great job of confusing consumers the advertising, food, and diet industry have done!

Secondly, I have to agree with CC that .039 g of carb is neglible.
If you are taking 1 vitamin a day and it has .039g of carb I can't see that it will have much effect on your total carb count.
Granted there may be vitamins with less carb/vitamin content around but I wouldn't lose any sleep over .039g.

I also wanted to add that I was pleasantly surprised to hear the carb count on Tums was as low as it is. I will probably add an occasional Tums back into my diet now.

Happy LCing to All,
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 13:53
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I keep the sugarfree Tums on hand. I seldom get heartburn since starting LC (I used to suffer every night!) but it's nice to have them "just in case".
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-05, 09:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 312/244/198 Female 6'3"
BF:
Progress:

I saw this forum, and I see that it is old posts, but I wanted to update you. I am an employee of Bayer and I wanted to make it very clear of how the carbsmart vitamins work, since I am a low carb dieter myself.

One-A-Day CarbSmart contains higher levels (compared to 100% of the Daily Value) of key B vitamins and antioxidants consumers may not be getting enough of when limiting carbohydrate-rich foods. Plus, CarbSmart contains higher levels of Biotin (150% of the Daily Value), a key B vitamin that helps break down fats and proteins into energy.

In addition to extra Biotin, One-A-Day CarbSmart contains vitamins C, E, B6, B12 and folic acid for heart health; antioxidant vitamins C, E and beta-carotene, plus the minerals zinc and selenium to support immune health; and calcium, magnesium, potassium, zinc, and vitamin D for muscle and bone health.

“We recognized a need to develop a multivitamin supplement that would address a significant gap in nutrient intake for the millions of Americans watching the amount and type of carbohydrates they eat,” said Shane Durkee, Director of Nutritional Science and New Business at Bayer HeathCare. “One-A-Day CarbSmart is designed to be a part of an overall healthy low-carbohydrate lifestyle.”