Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 18:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool anyone take heartburn medication?

Hey all,
I know that there are quite a few medical folks out there who might be able to answer me - or anyone for that matter!!

Anyway, I have been taking Prilosec daily for the last 2 years for a terrible heartburn problem. I could always tell if I forgot my morning "purple pill" because by early afternoon I was gulping down yukky heartburn. I thought these pills were a miracle!!

Today, I rushed out of the house, not realizing that I had forgotten to take my morning meds (of course, I took my vitamins and supplements - in a different part of the house). I take a lot of meds for many ailments and this is almost a morning (and evening) ritual.

Well, I still haven't taken the Prilosec today (it's now evening) and don't want to take it to see - I haven't had any heartburn AT ALL!!!!

Could my heartburn be gone because of the LC'ing?? I have totally cut out my favorite thing - tomatoes - because I love them so much. Could my reflux condition have been caused by the acid in the tomatoes? If this is true, one med down, and about 6 to go!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 02:38
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Many people have reported that their acid reflux has disappeared with low-carbing.

When I see that "purple pill" commercial on TV I always want to start screaming "stop eating carbs! Stop taking pills!" It drives me nuts that there are so many antacids and reflux drugs when it could be cleared up by CHANGING YOUR WAY OF EATING! People! Don't become victims!

It was probably never the tomatoes, but the pasta that the tomatoes were on and the bread in the BLT. Try adding them again cautiously. Summer tomatoes are one of my favourite treats!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 08:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool

Thanks, Karen for your quick reply!

The funny thing is that after I logged off of my computer last night, I settled down to start on The Protein Power Lifeplan. While on the first page of the Introduction, I read the following:

Quote:
...We didn't have space in our first book to fully explore the range of health benefits that readers might experience using the plan, and when they got relief from symptoms of such diverse disorders as gastroesophageal reflux, or severe heartburn (which virtually always improves), and chronic inflammatory bowel disorders, they wrote by the thousands to tell us.

Before this, I was happy with this WOL, but I didn't really think that it was going to work miracles on me. Now, I am so happy that I might not have to use one of my meds anymore that I can't believe it! This really does work!!!