Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 19:40

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%
Default How not to gain weight over the Holidays

I found an article that talks about ways to not gain weight over the holidays. I thought it was interesting so I'm putting in some of the highlights.
1. Turn on some light music
Apparently you will eat slower, and less with quiet music. Any doubts think of that last time you went to a busy restaraunt and what is the type of music playing. Usually fast and loud. In other places it is slow and I find I eat slower, less frantically, and enjoy myself more. Could this help in digestion as adrenaline slows down digestion, and doesn't help?
2. Have a virgin cocktail.
This is easy for me, I don't drink. In the "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition it reports that people who drink alcohol before a meal eat about 200 calories more than those who stick to alcohol free drinks. It also claims that people who drink on an empty stomach eat fast, eat more and stay at the table longer.
3. Eat like the Italians
They feast once or twice every week. They eat smaller meals the rest of the time. Yale school of Medicine reports that drinking eight ounces of milk at every meal, and haveing 3 ounces of meat, poultry or fish with lunch and dinner cut their calories by 31%.
4. Step outside
We all know that exercise is good for us right? They say to walk outside, but I can't do that in the cold. Just not my thing, but if you do it in the cold you can burn 12% more. I wonder if my cold basement will do the same thing.
5. grab a preparty snooze and a snack
You will scream for food if sleep deprived. Snack before, women who are slightly hungry eat 55% fewer calories.

What do you all think. Are there any strategies here that will help you in the coming few weeks.
Tanya

Article in Woman's World, nov 26 issue. There is more detail than what I put that might be of interest.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 17:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

These are all good suggestions that have been around for quite awhile but it helps to hear them again.

Another one is to PLAN how you will eat.

Thanksgiving is ONE DAY and only ONE MEAL. Not the beginning of a binge.

Plan to bring what you CAN eat to the feast.

Turkey is always allowed so eat lots. If there are LC veggies, go for them first with the turkey and plan a salad with a wonderfully fat dressing. Then if you are still hungry, take a small portion (start with a teaspoonful) of the things that are not LC: stuffing, potatoes, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce or jelly.

Great gravy can be made by using "guar gum" or "xanthan gum" to thicken the drippings (start small, this stuff is powerful) and then adding cream for a smooth 'gravy ' texture.

If you eat all that and still want more, have LOTS of whipped cream with a tablespoon of pumpkin pie filling (not the crust) and you will feel treated and stuffed and righteous and legal and happy.

Have a wonderful holiday. It isn't the food, it's the family and friends and the gratitude for all that we each have.

All the best.