Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 07:37

Plan: Heller
Stats: 235/190/135
BF:
Progress: 45%
Talking My Intro

Well, since I just posted a question, I thought it appropiate to give a brief intro of myself.

I'm 35 and have been heavy all my life (10# baby). My mother died two years ago of a major heartattack. She had no symptoms, no warning. Her cholosteral was well within normal range. Her only precursor was diabeties which everyone in her family has. So, I want to prevent it and an early death (she was only 65).

I'm not really following a program, I do watch my carbs but have not really committed completely to a program. One thing I don't know if I can give up is my piece of bread for bkfst. I make my own whole wheat bread, it has honey instead of refined sugar and I put a little butter and a Tbl or more of flaxseed meal on top. It is wonderful.

That's pretty much me in a nutshell.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 07:56
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Welcome!

I think that probably the best thing would be to choose a plan you can live with and stick with it for a month.

On quick links to your right is "Which low-carb plan is right for me? I'm sure there is one that would allow your one slice of bread.

Glad to have you.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 14:54

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up Welcome

Hi Jen and welcome to this forum.

If your family is prone to Type II diabetes, then adopting a low carb lifestyle is one sure way to prevent you going down that route.

I would choose one of the higher carb plans, like Schwarzbein, which allows 50 g carbs a day. It is so worth getting the book and reading it as it gives you so much background information and helps you understand why it works. Diana S started her research into low carbing because the conventional diet was not working for her diabetics.

The type of bread you make sounds good. You can add even more butter, do not be afraid of it. It is the totally refined white flour that you need to avoid.

Have a read of the top one of the quick links on the right and then give it a go. If you want to start straight away try cutting your carbs to around 100 or less a day and keep track of them using the carb counter on the right or Fitday.

Every success.