Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 20:41

Plan: cad
Stats: 238.5/197.5/155
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default brand new lc'er (cad)

Hello everyone!
I am 33 & a veteran dieter. I've never tried low carbs though. After the birth of my fifth son in March 2000, I reached my largest size ever.....238.5 lbs . I started weight watchers in April 2001 & lost 60 lbs in 5 months. Then I fell off the wagon & gained back 20 lbs. To make a long story short, I have no self control & cannot do weight watchers anymore. I weighed 198.5 one week ago when I started CAD. It has been the most enjoyable week of dieting I have ever had. I have not cheated once. My big question is this. I eat&eat&eat&eat for an hour straight during my RM. I have read the original book by the Hellers & I think this is OK. Do I HAVE to choose CALP which would limit me, or is CAD & a 1 hour a day PIGOUT workable? BTW, I now weigh 197.5.
I hope I am making sense, sorry so long. I am looking forward to your support.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 20:55

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi, molympic. Welcome! Congratulations for starting again -- and just think how nice it is NOT to have t lose that 40 pounds again Good for you!

I'm not a CAD person, but I have a feeling the reason they wrote CALP and put in those restrictions is because people had trouble with the "one hour pigout" The new plan, as I understand it, is that you have to eat a BALANCED "reward meal." It can include potatoes, even a sweet, but it can't be ALL potatoes and ice cream.

There's a CAD follower's forum -- I'm sure you'll get better advice there
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 20:56

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Greetings and welcome aboard!

From what little I know about CAD, you are NOT allowed to just pigout on the RM - there are strict guidelines that must be followed in order for it to work. You might want to revisit that part of the book - making sure to use the most recent edition just to be safe.

Good luck.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 21:07

Plan: CALP
Stats: 199/185/139
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Reward Meal Carbohydrate-O-Rama!

Hi! I'm doing CALP now and started out with the CAD book. The one thing in the CAD book that isn't made abundantly clear is the fact that the Reward Meal isn't a carboydrate (or any other kind) of pigout deal. Although, even though I didn't know that at first, I did exactly that and still managed to lose weight. However, in subsequent books such as CALP, they make it much more clear the "rules" for the Reward Meal.

I think the most important lesson I've learned thus far is to read and re-read that book. Each time I find something new or a correction to something I've been doing wrong.

Good luck and post in the CAD/CALP "folder", you'll get lots of support there as well !

Lisa
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 21:27

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I heartily second Icon's recommendation to constantly be re-reading the book.

Each time you go through it, you are looking (consciously or unconsiously) for specific information and other things, even if they stick out and grab your attention at the time, are likely to be purged by your long term memory because they didn't fit into the context that you were working within at the time. Or, what you are reading doesn't make a lot of sense or seem important or is confusing because you don't have a sufficient mastery of the material truly comprehend it.

How many times have you run across information where you discover something "new" but at the same time immediately remember having read it before? Chances are that was something the caught your attention but didn't get stored long term.

So every time you go through the book - and you can go through it almost randomly for a section here or a few pages there once you have read the whole thing once to establish the overall framework and basic understanding - you will learn a lot more.

And, of course, that goes for just about anything - from a textbook to a diet book to a set of regulations to your favorite fiction novel. Even movies.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 21:32

Plan: cad
Stats: 238.5/197.5/155
BF:
Progress: 49%
Smile thanx for the quick responses!

Thank you for your quick, friendly replies. I am a bit sad though. I should have know it was too good to be true. I REALLY enjoyed my 1 hour pigouts. I guess I will just try to eat a more balanced rm until i manage to get a hold of the book.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 07:42

Plan: Zone
Stats: 165/163/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Post CAD

I use the old CAD book (because I lost 40lbs doing that until I stopped that WOE) and it does say "anything you want within an hour as you would in a balanced feast." I think they wrote the new book because people didn't get the meaning of "balanced feast."

Hang in there! This is a great WOL, and soon your cravings will be reduced so much that you won't be tempted to pig out on your RM-you'll be able to enjoy it in normal portions!

Welcome....

-animaldoc