Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 09:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 227/216.5/135
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default kebab or not kebab???????????

hi can any1 help with a question please? you know the take away kebab, the one that spins around on a spit that they carve off, is that ok 2 eat if you dont eat the bread? and are there any carbs in the meat? thanks, mal
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 11:46

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Question

I can't say I have any experience of eating a donar kebab in the last few years. My instincts tell me that if you just eat the meat and salad without the pocket you should be pretty safe.

However, the kebabs are offcuts of meat all compressed together, a bit like mince, and so it is possible that some filler is used as well to bind it together better. Whilst they may be good for the ocassional foray I think they could be a bit like beefburgers, unpredictable, unless you know how they were put together.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-02, 03:58

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default Doner kebab

I am sure that some doner kebabs have some filler but this recipe I found seems to be OK:

Ingredients:

1 1/2 kilos leg of lamb
50 gr. black pepper
2 kilos lamb fat, ground
1 egg
150 gr. salt
1 liter onion juice
1 cup olive oil

Remove any bits of skin and bone from the meat. Cut into serving-size pieces. Pound with a meat tenderizer or the edge of a heavy saucepan until 1/8 cm thick. Trim. Prepare a marinade of onion juice, olive oil, salt and pepper, and soak meat in the marinade 12-24 hours. Soak lamb fat in hot water. Remove pieces of meat from the marinade. Spread over each piece of meat the lamb fat and ground lamb mixed with egg. Thread pieces of meat on a long skewer, starting with larger pieces. Trim the chunk of meat on the skewer and add trimmings to the end of the skewer. The chunk of meat is broiled in the Doner Kebab broiler, made specially for the purpose.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-02, 12:56
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 154/128/120
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Kebab

Oooh Rustpot, now I'm drooling!??

Chrissy
www.sugarlite.co.uk
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 04:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187.5/176/154
BF:33/28/18
Progress: 34%

Some experimental info for you...

I ate a doner kebab a couple of days ago - half for dinner, and half for lunch the following day. No pitta, and very little salad. I'm currently gong through the induction period, so I'm on very little carbs.

I found my ketosis had reduced the following morning, and in the afternoon follwing the doner lunch it had fallen to trace levels.

Today is the next day, and I'm back up to nearly moderate ketosis.

I think some doners have filler - and some more than others. I have a friend who has had doner and it didn't affect his ketosis.

Trial and error, I think, since I doubt the guys behind the counter will know what you're talking about if you ask how many carbs are in the doner meat!

BTW Love the doner photo - and my next experiment will be with a curry!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 15:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 360/339/140 Female 5'3
BF:60%/60%/22%
Progress: 10%

i have a kebab at least once a week - i usually have half chicken, which i KNOW is chicken and half 'lamb meat' with salad and a gallon of mayo.

I tend to keep this as emergency food - if i am shattered and don't want to cook. If this is the case i also have tandoori chicken pieces from the curry shop (come on guys I am in Birmingham - land of the balti). If my DH can't cope without a Dominos pizza now im low carbing, i order double chicken dippers and make him pay.

There is nothing like working your ass off in the gym and then going into the Kebab shop
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 07:15

Plan: quit atkins
Stats: 123/121/110
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default doner kebab

Being Turkish, as doner is a Turkish dish (it means 'spins'), I can confidently say that most places use bread as a filler for the minced meat.

hope that helps.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 02:26

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Question

Thanks for that comment Chicken. Not surprised, so others beware on eating Donners!