Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 13:10

Plan: Low Carb - Real Foods
Stats: 177/168.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Gallstones

Last March, at about 11pm at night... I had the most painful attack I had ever had. I thought I was having a heart attack. It started in my upper abdomen/chest area then radiated up into my shoulders and lasted for about an hour. A couple days later I had to do a physical so my doctor threw in an ECG just to make sure there was nothing wrong with my heart, and sure enough nothing wrong.

I have been having slightly more stomach problems than usual... ya know, not being able to eat what I used to. Fatty stuff would make me gassy or sick.

About 6 months after my first attack I had another. I was all alone at home, and completely freaked. I ended up calling 911 after 45 minutes of the fetal position on the floor. The hospital did NOTHING... just told me I had diaphragmatic spasms...and that if it happens again.. to just wait it out. Apparently not being able to breathe is no big deal.

I thought... okay.. no problem, I can deal with this if it's only going to happen every 6 months....well.... two weeks later.....BAM!!

So off to the doctor I go again.... then comes the onslaught of blood tests and ultrasounds.

GALLSTONES!!! I'M 26 YEARS OLD FOR HEAVENS SAKE!!!!

So, get this.... What's a good way to increase your chances of getting gallstones? LOSE WEIGHT!! My weight loss is a huge contributing factor to getting gallstones. Isn't that always the way it goes! You do something good for you, and life pays you back with that!

Well, the stones are huge, and tonnes of them... so medication is out. And I'm a low carber...so a no-fat diet is sorta out of the question too.

Surgery it is... the laparoscopic kind...

Anyone been through this?
For the same reasons?
Any advice to share?
How are things after surgery?

Linnea
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 15:26

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Linnea!

Yup...I was pretty much in the same situation about 9 years ago and not much older than you at 32. I had lost a good deal of weight following a low fat diet and BAM! Gallstones! It's odd that it took them so long to figure out what the problem was with you; they diagnosed me right in the ER. The laparoscopic surgery is very quick and the recovery time is usually quite short...about a week or so. I was back to work 5 days after having my gallbladder removed that way and that was 9 years ago. I'm sure they've made the procedure even better since then. While it's true that losing weight quickly will contribute to gallstones what most doctors won't tell you is that following a low fat diet contributes to them even more. Your gallbladder is there to help digest fat. It holds the bile until you eat some fat, then squeezes to release the bile into your intestines to do its job. When you don't eat any fat (or very little), it has no work to do and so the bile sits in your gallbladder and sediment forms which eventually becomes stones.
Some people, about 10%, have difficulty with eating fat after having their gallbladders removed, but the majority can eat whatever they like and have no problems without it. What my surgeon basically told me is to eat whatever I liked and if it bothered me to avoid it. Right now the only foods that ever give me problems are popcorn and green peppers.
Good luck!

Last edited by Lisa N : Mon, Dec-16-02 at 15:28.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-02, 12:07

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%
Thumbs up I had Laparoscopic surgery last year

To have my gall bladder removed. I was out doing short walks (15 min) a couple days later a week after I was back at work. It's a real simple percedure, it took them 20 min. to do it. I went in at 11 am & I was home by 5 pm. I just slept the rest of the day. If I were you I'd have it done ASAP. It can rupture, And cause all kinds of trouble. I don't mean to scare you. BTW , I have 4 tiny incisions that are key hole size, you almost can't see them.
I started Atkins 4 months ago,I can eat fat , but I can't eat greasy food ,I get real sick.

Josie
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-02, 19:39
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 186/152/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

I am so sorry to hear that you are enduring the gallstone attack pain!

I went through a similar incident at age 21! I went from 210 lbs to 117 lbs in about 7 months. I did this by literally cutting out ALL fat........and exercising a great deal. The attacks hit me several times over about a two month period. The MOST painul experiences of my life. They landed me in ER twice, where doctor's scratched their heads and said, we think you have acid reflux. At the time, when I would have attacks, I would throw up uncontrollably. Finally, on a third ER visit, while throwing up, the nurse came to me and accussed me of me being bulimic! She concluded this after learning of my rapid weight loss. My mother was so angry and concerned for my medical mystery that she took me to another ER that very night. My mother insisted they do an ultra-sound and low and behold, gallstones!

Lapro. surgery two days later...in by 11, out by 5! Within three days, back at work.......no problems since! Other than the obvious fact that since that time (8 years ago), I met and married the man of my dreams, and became "fat and happy" again! Oh well, I am back on the road to the thin me.....down 31 lbs so far! Doing it in an intelligent way this time so as to avoid the horror of the ER!

Good luck with your procedure, it is actually fairly common these days in younger people. I wish you a speedy recovery!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-02, 13:55

Plan: LC
Stats: 300/300/228
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default OH YES

I work in the hosptial and I put my self on a EKG monitor because I thought I was having a heart attack, too!! I had to lie in the fetal postion until it passed or went back into the gall bladder. The surgery took care of the problem.

I feel your pain!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 15:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/189/170 Male 5ft, 5in
BF:
Progress: 65%

Now, I am beginning to understand! I had experienced discomfort that sometimes was actually painful, but it did not last long. The doctor had me on a heart monitor ( nothing), ran EKGs (nothing) put me on aspirin, and gave me nitro. Nothing was actually diagnosed in approx 2 years.
One day while at home a severe attack took me to my knees. I was sure it was a heart attack so I called 911 and went to the ER. The doctor on duty recognised the symptoms and the ultrasound confirmed it. I also had been on a low carb diet and had lost 30 lb. I have not had the surgery, but have not had another attack either. Can someone advise me on passing gall stones using olive oil and lemon juice? I only have a few stones and will resort to surgery only as a last resort!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 20:14

BF:

jsandy....

Please don't attempt to flush your gallbladder with lemon juice and olive oil, especially since you know that you have stones. If one of those stones were to get stuck in the bile duct, you would be facing extreme pain and immediate emergency surgery. It could even rupture the duct that connects your gallbladder to your small intestine and that would be a life-threatening situation, not to mention excruciatingly painful. Gallstones are rarely smooth and round; they often have sharp ridges and edges and it wouldn't take much for them to get stuck in the bile duct which is really not larger than a straw (perhaps even a bit smaller). If those stones are any bigger around than that, they won't pass anyway and trying to do a flush will only result in a very bad attack.
If you do experience another gallbladder attack, your doctor can advise you on your options and best course of action, but please don't try to treat this at home.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 07:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/189/170 Male 5ft, 5in
BF:
Progress: 65%

Thanks! You talked me right out of it. I really don't like pain.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 11:23
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 255/241/225
BF:40%/31%/26%
Progress: 47%

I remember those pains. I still cringe at the thought of them!

I went through that after having lost 50 pounds through Nutrisystem.

You think you're doing something good for yourself. You don't realize the havoc you wreak on your body by yo-yo diets and the like. My Dr. said the gallbladder thing happens mostly when folks lose weight too fast.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 11:29
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 255/241/225
BF:40%/31%/26%
Progress: 47%

BTW.. the surgery is not that bad. I had it laporascopically (sp?) and was back to work within a week!

I can't eat certain food combinations without having to run to the bathroom (like spaghetti sauce or greasy pizza), but other than that, I rarely have a problem.. and I am almost NEVER constipated!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 07:06
Registered Member

Plan: Insulin Resistant diet
Stats: 320/240/138
BF:44%/33%/19%
Progress: 44%

I hope you feel better soon, That is one of my big concerns is gall stones. I am having an ultrasound next week per my dr's request. I dont have any symptoms but me and dh are trying to have a family in the future so he wanted to take care of a problem if I had them.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 18:51

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%

Hi, Linnea, sorry you have to go through this! I had a huge gallstone, only one, but I remember the pain. I got mine from being pregnant, apparently when your insides get all squished, gall stones can happen!

I had laproscopic surgery, and it was a piece of cake! No problems during or after. The surgeon did say that my gallbladder was barely functioning, and I had alot of scar tissue, so I must have had the problem for awhile. I hadn't ever lost weight prior to that, I used to be thin. So losing weight didn't cause my gallbladder trouble. Wonder what did...

Anyway, expect the incisions to be sore for a few days. Motrin helps alot. You will have some pain on the inside as well, but again, Motrin or whatever pain meds they give you will work great. I came home the same day. Hope you do to, being in the hospital is no fun, and the food could make you cry. I can't say much for the wardrobe there, either.

Good luck, and let us know how you do! They might even let you bring your gallbladder home in a jar, I did. It looks great on my mantle, I call it Stanley.

-Jess

ps

just kidding about the Stanley thing! They did tell me I could have it, I thought they were nuts!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 19:25

BF:

Quote:
I hadn't ever lost weight prior to that, I used to be thin. So losing weight didn't cause my gallbladder trouble. Wonder what did...

Ever follow a low fat diet? Your gallbladder is there to store the bile that your body needs to digest fat until you eat a food that has fat in it. If you rarely eat fat, or eat very little, your poor gallbladder sits there with nothing to do. Eventually sediment can form which will eventually become stones. You can also develop adhesions (which it sounds like you had).
OTOH...some people just seem to be prone to them.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 20:53

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%
Lightbulb Aha!

Yes, I used to eat low fat!!! Skim milk, low fat dressing, all that stuff that tastes like YUCK! And I was a terrible eater. Ate on the run, alot of sugar. Now it makes sense.

I have said it once, no maybe I have said it alot, but this low carb thing IS THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE!!!!!!! If I could meet Dr. ATkins, I would give him a big bear hug, and maybe even a big sloppy kiss. On the cheek. Wouldn't want to embarress the poor man!

LET'S HEAR IT FOR LOW CARB!!

-Jess
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 20:46
Registered Member

Plan: high protein/low carb
Stats: 160/160/130 Female 5'5''
BF:
Progress: 0%

Im 17 years old and I just had to get my gall bladder removed from gallstones.

I went to the emergency room on New Years day and they didnt do anything for me.... they gave me some mild pain killers (which didn't anything) and let the door hit me in the ass on the way out. A month later I went back to the emergency room and they finally ran an ultrasound and found that I had gallstones.

After that it took me a month to finally get in for surgery. I basically had attacks for two and a half months straight, it was so terrible! I was so afraid to eat and ending up loosing about 15 pounds in two weeks. Everytime I ate something I would be in pain for about 5 or 6 hours afterwards.

Sorry, I just needed to share that with you all. It was the worst two months of my life... not the way I wanted to start out my year!! Not to mention the fact that the day after I was released from the hospital, my uncle and my boyfriends brother passed away.

This just hasn't been my year...