Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 22:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 242/185/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 62%
Question veggie question

Just wondering if i can get away with eating 2-3 cups of broccoli or and cauliflower instead of just one cup if i dont eat any salad greens. i prefer my veggies steamed with lots of butter. atkins states to eat only one cup of those veggies only if you eat 2 cups of salad greens but i would prefer to skip the salad veggies and eat my veggies steamed.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 23:01
Phoenixa

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

You know what, I never followed the cup recommendations. I just saw to it that I kept my netcarbs at 20g and that the majority of them came from veggies from the acceptable foods list. I weighed my food, that gave a much more accurate reading - and banged every single carb into Fitday.com.

(Why I write in preteritum is cause I'm now on pre-maintenance and have stopped counting carbs...)

I don't know why it would be preferable to eat two cups of sallad greens, since broccoli etc are much more nutrient dense and full of good fibers. I'd say go ahead and eat them.

Last edited by gilibel : Mon, Jan-26-04 at 23:08.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 05:01

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Veggies have more carbs. If you stay within your CCL than eat the veggies. I have eaten 2-3 cups in one day and it has never caused a problem for me. My typical day is a 2-3 cups salad for lunch and 1 cup of veggies for dinner.

Of course, choose the veggies with the least carbs for best results.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 06:26

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

The best thing is to keep track of your carbs and eat all the veggies you like. If you are not a salad person then substitute veggies you like that are low carb. For some uncooked veggies are best for them. Veggies have lots of nutrients and fibre in them so eat your fill up to your carb level.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 06:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264.0/146/139 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 94%

Oh, thank you all for these responses and opinions ~ I too had wondered about this same topic and would much rather eat veggies than lettuce!!