Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 08:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264.0/146/139 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 94%
Angry I Am Depressed ~ I Expected To See Purple

I was so happy when I saw the UPS truck pull into my driveway yesterday and bring me my Ketone Strips I had ordered from an internet store (cheaper than at the local pharmacy).

I almost peed in my pants in anticipation of getting the bottle opened fast enough and running to the bathroom and trying my first strip.

I peed on the strip and it hardly changed a bit. I made myself say that it was in the "small" color (beige) ~ ~ definitely not light purple, medium purple, or dark purple.

I AM TOTALLY DEPRESSED!! I have been on Induction for 14 weeks straight and have lost a decent amount of weight and inches, but all along I assumed I was in ketosis

HELP!! HOW CAN I BOOST MYSELF TO SEE PURPLE!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 08:11

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Don't rely on those sticks, chile! Rely on what your body tells you. Ketosis is a natural body process that occurs in everyone. You do not need the sticks to define fat burning. I have never felt the need to used them. I do not use them. Scales and measuring tapes cause enough stress as it is why add one more stressor?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 08:21

BF:
Default Thanks, but.....

Thanks, but............................ I just wanted to make sure I was in ketosis ~ and this did not prove it ~ so how can I tell for sure?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 08:23
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

EXACTLY why I will not and have not ever used the sticks. If you are losing weight, feeling great, and sticking with the WOE rules, you WILL succeed. Best of luck to you!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 08:28

Stats: 275.0/220.0/185.0 Male 72.5 inches
BF:??%/25.7%/??%
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volgal
Thanks, but............................ I just wanted to make sure I was in ketosis ~ and this did not prove it ~ so how can I tell for sure?
On my bottle, it says to dip the stick in urine or hold in your stream. I experimented with both (I used an old cottage cheese container that I will never use for food again!!!!!). In my stream, it came out on the lowest end of ketosis. When I dipped it, it was one shade from the darkest purple. (These were performed at the same time!) I read that if you hold it in your stream, some of the chemical can be "washed" off. So, you might try it the dipping way.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 08:40

Stats: 150/150/125 Female 5'4"
BF:49/24/??
Progress: 0%

Also, the sticks just measure the ketones in your urine, not the ketones that you body has already burned for fuel, so if you are losing weight and feeling great, there is no need for sticks, also the more water you drink the more diluted your urine is.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 08:41

BF:
Default Tried Dipping

Needless to say, I just ran into the bathroom with a small container and tried the "dipping" procedure ~ ~ no uck

HOW CAN I GET INTO KETOSIS?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 08:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/126/120 Female 164
BF:
Progress: 82%
Default Just look at your results!

Hi Volgal,

If you ask me you have proof positive by just looking at your stats! You have lost well over 40 pounds in just 14 weeks!! Wow! What more is a purple stick going to add to that. Those sticks are notoriously unreliable but your weight loss and loss in inches is just all you need. Keep going with the good work and dont let a little purple stick spoil your hard earned victories.

With respect to the sticks, different brands are different, your urine may be too dilute and they change different colours at different times of the day and there are all the other things that the other folk have mentioned. I used them right at the start of induction to see if I was doing ok and to encourage me (before I started losing)...I certainly wouldnt use them now

Take care and just keep doing what you are doing...it's definitely working!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 08:59
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

test it first thing in the morning, your urine is most concentrated then. That way your water or food intake wont really effect it.

Honestly I wouldnt worry about it. I stopped using those sticks and I know I am in ketosis just from the way I feell... not to mention the smell of my breath and urine. (sorry to be gross)
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 09:00

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

remember... any shade means you ARE in ketosis!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 09:01
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I personally have never used those after all the complaints I have read. I just go by how my size changes and how I feel.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 09:16

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

Purple means you're dehydrated anyway, so not a good thing - mine, when I feel like using them, read small to moderate, but even a trace means your in ketosis. don't rely on them though, use the clothing meter to gauge your progress.

Vikki
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 09:24

Stats: 260/259/220 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%

I don't want to sound rude or unsympathetic, but the reason that you are on this woe is to loose weight and feel better. Which by looking at your stats you have done an INCREDIBLE job at. Whether you can turn sticks colors isn't really the point.
But..........you are in ketosis. Because you are loosing weight, it is most likely that your body is burning up most of the ketones for energy. As someone else stated previously, if they turned ANY color than you are in ketosis.

Keep up the good work!!! I know of a lot of people on this board who would love to have lost the weight that you have in only twelve weeks!!!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 09:30

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

who CARES if your stix turn purple if you are losing weight like crazy???

do you drink a lot of water like you are supposed too...that can make a difference.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 09:33

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

Also, I find that if I eat certain LC products, or drink aspartame (diet soda), it will knock me out of ketosis, every time.

Since you didn't list a menu of what you're eating and/or drinking, I can't even speculate what the problem may be. There may not even be a problem at all, as a previous poster said, you may just be consuming all the ketones your body is producing and not "spilling" any out into your urine. If this is true, then don't worry about it. I mean, what's the point of carb control, anyway? Is it to shed unwanted bodyfat, or to "turn the pee sticks purple"?