Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 15:06

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 151/148/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default who do i listen to? fitday? the box? spinach counts...

I was wondering if anyone knew the counts (calorie, carb, etc) for 1 cup cooked spinach. Ya know the kind in the frozen 10oz boxes? The package says one thing, fitday says another? Also...it IS okay to eat spinach right? Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 19:05

Plan: CALP/Schwarzbien
Stats: 212.5/192/172.5 Female 5' 8
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi !

Spinach and other leafy greens are all considered low carb veggies. I am sure most plans allow them but since you have your own plan I guess it is up to you. Personnaly I eat spinach often and just use the carb count on fitday. I never compared to what is on the package.

deb
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 19:14

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 161/130/132 Female 5'7"
BF:40%/?/We'll see
Progress: 107%

I take a lot of fitday's carb counts with a grain of salt!!! For example, the count for an egg iss ridiculously high. I usually "adapt" the carb count...

Agnes
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 22:34

Plan: mixture
Stats: 193/143/135 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress:

I have been using Corinne Netzer's book "Carbohydrate Counter" for over 7 years. I find that it is quite accurate. For frozen spinach it lists Green Giant 3/4 cup as 3.0 carbs, Birds Eye 1/3 cup 3.0, Seabrook 1/3 cup 2.0 and Green Giant in butter sauce 1/2 cup 5.0. I find that these old time books are the most accurate in carb counts since they were done before the carb craze really got started and they had no reason to lie. I have found that a lot of the new books inflate carb counts and I wonder if that has anything to do with the manufacturers buying them off to put their products as lower carb than others? I think spinach is great for low carb. It has a lot of vitamins and a lot of fiber and seems to help with a few of the problems that many people associate with low carbing.
Good luck, and keep 'eating spinach cause it makes you strong to the finish...'
Egama
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 17:06

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

I agree, fitday's values seem off often to me so I have a long list of custom foods on fitday. I use theirs if they seem within reason, but often they don't. Can't complain too much, its free!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 10:05

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Just for the record...I've lost all of my weight while using Fitday exclusively to keep track of my food counts. Sometimes it works to simply type in a food, to get a count and sometimes it works better to go through their lists to find the correct counts. You will find a "Sticky" on how to use Fitday, here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=38343

Wishing you the best at LCing.
Marlaine