Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 15:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 451/406/126 Female 5ft 2
BF:
Progress: 14%
Angry Any suggestions for this really slow weight loss?

Can anyone help? I have been sticking to my plan and have not gone over the 20 net carbs daily allowance on induction and I am only losing 1lb or staying the same. I have been doing this since 12/1/04 and I make sure I drink at least the 8 x 8 glasses of water each day but it is usually more. I am not able to excerise for more than a couple of mins at a time as I have back problems. Please help, I am feeling SO low.

Wench
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 15:58

Stats: 410/399/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 4%

Wench,

Congratulations!! It looks like you've already lost an incredible amount of weight! You must be so happy with your progress. Maybe your body is playing a little catch up right now? I know that happens, but I also know how bad it feels when the scale stops moving.

Are you using fitday at all to record what you are eating? Maybe someone on the board could take a look at it and give you some feedback? I'm only into my second week or I'd offer some suggestions myself.

All in all, I would say to just stay focused and you will eventually start to see the scale drop again!!

Hang in there
Michelle
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 16:24
Contributing Member

Stats: 420/335/175 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:Don't/go/there
Progress: 35%

Wench:

I think you are doing great!!!! In only 4 months you are about half-way to a hundred pound loss. We all want to lose it fast, but we need to look at the overall picture....
1) We did not gain all this weight in a few months, it will take time to lose 2) We are feeling better in our overall health 3) We will make this a lifestyle change, not just a quick fix 4) We are doing this one day at a time and one meal at a time...and 5) We have so much more control over our eating that we can do anything.

Keep up the good work.

Susan
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 16:29
Registered Member

Stats: 359/297/155 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 30%

I noticed that you said you don't consume more than 20 net carbs a day. If you are using alot of "low carb" products that may be the problem. You can't always count on the labeling on these things. Or your body might be reacting to something that you may be consuming on the regular basis. If you see no change in the next week or two try cutting out something for a week, eventually you will find the culprit if this is the case. Congratulations on your progress so far, you are doing great!

Shannon
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 19:34

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

Hi Wench-

Congrats on the tremendous loss so far! I'm so jealous of how fast you've been losing!

One thing, are you really only drinking 8 glasses of water a day? I have to drink 120oz a day to keep losing steadily. I think the formula is 8 glasses PLUS 1 for every 25 pounds you need to lose.

Also, Have you heard about the dreaded 50 pound stall? You can search for it on this site. I 've read so many times about how you get to about a 50 pound loss and everything just stops! I'm a ways out from there, but am fully expecting it.

Also for me, tracking my calories has been tremendously useful. I have to stay in the range for losing to stay on track.

Hope this helps and good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 20:59

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

First of all, you are doing great. Pat yourself on the back for continuing to succeed. If you think of what you would have done last year, it will make you realize how far you really have come!

Without knowing a bit more detail, it's really hard to make a recommendation. If you post a bit of what you are eating, we may be able to help pinpoint the issue. You want to try for 70% fat and 5% carbs. I've seen folks have more success by increasing their carbs to 25-30 because it allows them to introduce a wider variety of foods to their menus.

Also, I know you mentioned you can't do a lot of exercise, but the more you can do will help. You may want to try doing some seated exercises or just some walking. The key is to gradually increase. So if you are doing 5 minutes now, then try for 6 minutes all of next week.

Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 06:23
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I concur with the others -- you are doing well. Most of us didn't gain the weight all at once and we can't expect to lose it all at once either. Hang in there! You are still losing and that's better than gaining or maintaining. When I started this, I told myself that I would continue low carbing as long as it stopped my continuous weight gain, unless I found something better. Not only did it stop my weight gain, but I have continue to lose (although very slowly for the past year) and I still haven't found anything better.

I took a fast look at the recent pages in your journal and noticed that you have been sick and on medication lately and have also had at least one instance of going off plan. Both those things will slow down your weight loss.

MisterE started out at a similar weight to you and he had a video of exercises he could do sitting down. You might want to stop by his journal or pm him and ask him about it. Also, when I started and was having a lot of back problems (which have gone away since I have lost over 100 pounds), I found that exercise in the water was the easiest thing for me. If you have access to a pool, you might consider just getting in there and moving around. Swimming is great if you know how to do it, but you don't need to swim to benefit from water exercise.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 07:32
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Amen!
For ME (your mileage may vary!), the best video for me to get any exercise done was titled, "Sit Tight", by Richard Simmons. A whole exercise program done sitting. Sure did help my back, legs, etc.

Took me about a month of THAT and then I was able to get around slowly. Each week a little faster.

I know there are other series...but I have personal experience with this particular tape. I recommend it highly.

Good luck and great health!