Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 18:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins plan
Stats: 167/156/130
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default "What on earth do you eat???"

Anyone else notice that's what people usually say once you explain Atkins to them? You explain that you concentrate on meat, oils/fats, some dairy products, most veggies and later in the diet, some fruits and nuts...

And the reaction is, "But I always have cereal with orange juice and toast for breakfast - what on earth can a person eat for breakfast if not that?"

"What, no bread? Isn't it unhealthy to do without bread?"

Sheesh...

we are so incredibly grain-based in the U.S. right now because of that stupid, wrong USDA pyramid that people can't even remember a time or imagine a time without grains being 99% of our diet (oops, make that grains and sugar...)

Anyone else run into this?

Love, Leora
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 18:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/151/135 Female 5'6"
BF:?
Progress: 54%

yeeeeesss...

i've just switched to a different way of eating. I don't have special foods i only eat for breakfast. I've decided that food is food. if it's good enough to eat for dinner, it's good enough to eat for breakfast.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 18:43
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Post Let me tell you a story...

When I first started in my job, months ago, I was offered a free lunch and I explained I was on Atkins and unfortunately the only thing at this take out was steak tips (At this time, I didn't know I could ask for mushrooms instead of fries, live and learn) So I had a plate with steak tips and that was it. My boss said she thought my diet was too unhealthy. But I've lost almost 10lbs so far, in the last 3-4 weeks and now when I bring in a salad, with broccoli sprouts, cucumber, radishes, baby spinach and Romaine lettuce. All topped with a grilled slightly peppered chicken breast with crumbled low salt bacon, she practically snatches it from me.

Thank you Atkins for teaching me to appriciate veggies!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 19:31

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Not that I do this often, but you should see my co-workers drool when I have low carb cheesecake for breakfast.

Today I had a couple of soft boiled eggs and a homemade muffin made with almond meal and cranberries...yup...real unhealthy without that bowl of sugar-blasted corn puffs.
Many mornings I have Keto hot cereal (very much like oatmeal) with added ground flax for fiber and extra omega-3's. Other times, I just heat up a plate of leftovers from the night before.

People who think you can't have breakfast without orange juice and cereal lack creativity.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 20:06

Stats: 213/189/155 Male 5' 8"
BF:27
Progress: 41%

It's weird how most people think you are insane if you don't eat like everyone else.

Every time I tell some one I'm on a low carb WOE the first thing out of their mouth is how unhealthy it is. This is usually as that same person is wolfing down a double-cheese burger, fries and a milkshake.

Even when you explain to them about the veggies and the fact that this WOE actually motivates you to take vitamins (at least for me, as I never took vitamins on a regular basis before this plan) they still don't get it.

It bothers me sometimes that you end up feeling like a freak for eating this way, but that feeling goes away quick when you jump on the scale in the morning and notice another pound or two gone.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 20:07

Stats: 170/163/148
BF:
Progress: 32%
Smile

I love to eat breakfast now! I used to shovel the cereal in ever morning becuse I thought it was better for me. Give me bacon and eggs or leftovers any time!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 20:44

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%
Progress: 29%

I used to do the shredded wheat, fruit and V8 juice several times a week. English muffin, grapefruit, and V8 or Pancakes with butter and "Lite" syrup and V8 juice. Wow! Look at all those carbs. No wonder I was always hungry by 9:00.
This morning I had Huevos Mexicanos. Eggs scarmbled with onion, tomato, and green chiles. Yummy! And I didn't get hungry until lunch time.
If I'm out with others I don't say anything I just leave what I don't want. Nobody has said anything yet.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 08:22

Stats: 145/128.5/125
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default candy candy candy

Before I started this WOE, I ate CANDY for breakfast! My favorite was reese's peanut butter cups, washed down with a big bottle of coke!!! Ah, very healthy indeed.
Low carbing has definitely made me more creative, now I eat omelets, baked eggs, low carb pancakes and waffles, flax meal...Who says low-carbing ain't easy?

-Angie
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 11:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

Yesterday I ate eggs with asparagus, ham and cream cheese for breakfast; a salad with feta, tomato, cucumber and olives and olive oil dressing for lunch; and a turkey burger topped with provelone on a bed of salad greens for dinner. Handful of hazelnuts for a snack. What about that is not balanced, plus almost no processed food and each meal only took between 5 and 30 minutes to prepare and cook. Six weeks ago, my typical breakfast was oatmeal with an apple and I was ravenous two hours later. Now I go all day without feeling hungry. Nerts to them.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 11:29
Registered Member

Plan: Changed to Atkins from CAD
Stats: 273/261/160
BF:53%
Progress: 11%

Breakfast was the hardest adjustment for me, too. I have never been a breakfast person. Of course at about 10 am I would start eating!

Today I cooked bacon and LC pancakes, and then sat down to eat them and read the forum stuff. your guessed it, I forgot to turn off the burner. I wondered why I could still smell bacon grease! Luckily my son alerted me before the pot completely roasted, but the place still has that lovely burned fat smell.

I find the Ketostix thing helps me. The darker it turns the more I get inspired!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 12:30

Plan: Atkins (customized)
Stats: 158/137/130
BF:
Progress: 75%

I never ate breakfast before Atkins. I actually believe that's what put the weight on. I'd sometimes even skip lunch... by dinner time I could eat a horse! I'm so much healthier now than I've ever been, and eating bacon & eggs every morning! I'm never hungry, and the people I had telling me how "unhealthy" this WOL is are the ones complimenting me on my weight loss now. No negative feedback since dropping down 2 pant sizes, either.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 12:35
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Great thread everyone.

My new favorite weekend breakfast is either homemade zucchini and pecan muffins or LC french toast (bread is 3 carbs a slice) w/ a bit of SF strawberry jam and Atkins syrup.

My regular at work is a bacon and swiss omelet.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 17:01
Registered Member

Stats: 187/176.5/145 Female 5 ' 5 "
BF:39%
Progress: 25%
Default to I Konzelman

I've noticed your stats and am soooo impressed. All the way from 263 lbs in 1982 and you are now a size 10. All I can do is hang my mouth open and say WOW.......also, you post some very nice notes to everyone.......you're a great example of what this board is all about. Support, support, support! It's been quite a journey for you I'm sure you have lots to share with us. Thanks!!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 20:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins plan
Stats: 167/156/130
BF:
Progress: 30%

Yes, I agree, Lisa is incredible! Dr. Atkins should write a book about her as a great success story! Plus, she's so pretty, she would make an excellent spokesperson on TV for the low-carb way of life!

Love, Leora
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 12:41

Stats: 189/159/145 Female 63 inches
BF:40%/39%/low
Progress: 68%
Default Okay now....

Lisa N... I want that Cranberry muffin recipe!!

And LisaK... you too...muffin recipe... cough 'em up ladies!