Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 20:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/140/140 Female 5' 4.5"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Talking Potato substitute for pot roast

I LOVE pot roast made in the crock pot. It has always been one of my favorite meals. Since starting this WOL, I have made it several times - but I always really missed the potatoes! Tonight I made pot roast, and instead of putting potatoes in it, I cut up a large daikon radish and put it in the bottom of the crock pot along with baby carrots and onions. I was pleasantly surprised when it was done - the daikon has a similar consistency as the potatoes (which is what I think I craved the most about the potatoes) and it adds a pleasant flavor to the meal.

It's amazing what you come up with on this WOL!

Robin
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 20:35

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Sounds good! Another option would be to cut up some turnips in place of the potatoes. I made clam chowder with turnips instead of potatoes last night and my DH loved it!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 20:42
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%

Turnips are great in Pot Roast or stew.

I love soup, so I make a big pot of chicken broth from leftover roasted chicken, and put turnips and some celery in for veggies and lots of chicken and crushed pepper. I also cut spiich up and throw it in. The turnips add a great flavor to the soup broth!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 20:51

Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Osuzana,
We made chicken soup with veggies and added turnips, too. It tasted great!
By the way, if you use Fitday, how do you count this soup? I could not find anything like it, the closest chicken & vegetable homemade soup had tomatoes, corn and potatoes in it. Of course, the carb count went through the roof! I don't know how to fix it.
Thanks!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 01:04

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

you'll have to add all ingred. separately and add as a personal food. I usually go to a day that I didn't enter in fitday and work it all out there, jot the stats on a piece of paper then add to my personal food list and then add the portion to the day I'm calculating. More work, but it's accurate and you can save the info for the leftovers you'll be eating or when you make it again (plus, recipe is there, too!).

Nicole
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 05:43

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
By the way, if you use Fitday, how do you count this soup?

One thing you can do is go to a future date and put in all your ingredients and take the nutritional information from that (print it so that you can go back and enter into your current date) and then go back and remove it from your future date.
Another option that I've found very nice is that for Christmas, my DH got me a copy of MasterCook Deluxe for my computer. It allows you to put in your recipe and then with the click of a button gives you all the nutritional information (per serving) for that recipe on one page. It also has low carb recipes!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 08:00
Registered Member

Stats: 245/199/170 Male 5' 10
BF:
Progress: 61%

Tonight I made pot roast, and instead of putting potatoes in it, I cut up a large daikon radish and put it in the bottom of the crock pot along with baby carrots and onions

What is with the baby carrots and onions? Those pack a carb wallop, don't they?

I would caution that they can knock you out of ketosis. They do for me.

Last edited by PNW : Wed, Jan-07-04 at 09:27.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 08:16

Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%

They add carbs to the whole recipe, but if she put very little of them (just for flavoring) the count would not be that high portion wise. She's been here since last May, so I assume she's probably on a later stage of the plan.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 10:29

Plan: atkins
Stats: 330/217/190 Male 70 in
BF:?/30/less than 20
Progress: 81%

You could try cauliflower. It works as a potato substitute for other recipes.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 10:42

Stats: 158/134/130 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 86%

Another fairly good substitute for potatoes with a pot roast is jicama. As long as you don't mind your "potato" having a bit of a bite to it even after a couple of hours of cooking. It doesn't get mushy like a potato but even raw, a jicama tastes like a potato just a tad sweeter. Came out pretty good with my roast!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 11:49

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Yep I've used them all,:>) and Eggplant, but it does'nt take as long to cook, so it's not the best if you get it all on before going to work.

KAthy
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 13:20
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I have a deer roast in the crock pot atm. It's moderate carb and not good fo rinduciton the way I'm doing it though.

Basicaly I pan seared the roast (and got one heck of a burn might I add) I put mushroom soup down in the bottom of the crock pot. Then added new potatoes and baby carrots for rest of family that isn't LC. Celery, onions, and garlic. I then put the roast in, layed some bacon on top, and added marsala wine and another can of mushroom soup. When it's close to done I plan on adding some cabbage. If I don't eat much of the sauce or the higher carb veggies it shouldn't be to bad.

I was hoping to find a way to get a moist roast. All the pot roasts I normally try are so try I can't stand them. They make ok french dips the next day though (I need to find an LC Au Jus recipe now)
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 13:59

Stats: 274/190/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

turnips are better than potatoes in pot roast and it was so good and they soak up the juice oh baby!. . .and as for Lady Belle. . .if you are looking for fall apart pot roast. . .cover the pan. . .uncovered it becomes shoe leather and it is hard to cook it too long touch of water (cover bottom only) you can sear it if you want (makes it pretty and tasty and helps with the moisture not required though) but bake it for several hours at 325 or 350F. . .with the lid on. . .and if is not fall apart in 2 hrs. . .more time. My favorite cut for pot roast is chuck (I like chuck for steak too. . .)really think cut of chuck roast. Now if you want one of those roast beef roasts that are pink (not rare think sliced roast beef for sandwiches) that's when you preheat the oven to 450 and cook for a short time (bigger roast and uncovered) and the proper cut for that is one of those tall rump roasts those roasts that look like pillow of beef with strings tying it. For this if you don't have a good eye I suggest a meat thermometor. You need the middle temp to get up to a certain point. . .but if you cut it and hate rare you will think it is not done. . .but it is.
This is a great way to do those pork tenderloins too. . .they take about 30-45 min at 450. Slather with garlic and roast those puppies! redawn
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 14:31

Stats: 225/140/140 Female 5' 4.5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW
What is with the baby carrots and onions? Those pack a carb wallop, don't they?

I would caution that they can knock you out of ketosis. They do for me.

I have been eating carrots occasionally since moving to OWL, and have been eating onions all along I have never had a problem. All in all I probably ate about 1/2 cup of baby carrots with my roast last night. The family ate the rest.

Robin
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 16:13

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

After induction I stayed away from carrots, but now I eat them . If theyre in a salad ,I eat em. If theyre in stew I eat em.
I am not a super fast loser ,maybe that's why. But I still lose ,so I'm not worryin'.