Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 18:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/267/165 Female 5'9
BF:Too High!
Progress: 7%
Question Is it possible to not loose weight while consistantly in ketosis?

I'm trying to only weigh myself once every week or two weeks..otherwise I get too obsessed about the numbers.

I consistantly have a purple (moderate) ketones on my dip stick. Is there any way that you can consistantly be in ketosis and NOT loosing weight?

I'm assuming that theoretically if you are consuming enough fat and protein you could still be in ketosis and NOT loosing weight. Am I right?

Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 19:15

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hi Tweetheart- Welcome to this Woe(way of eating)--I hope that you have taken your measurements. I have found that at the times I am not losing weight that I am losing inches. If you are on certain medications that can interfere with weight loss. Do you have Dr. Atkins books? If not- I really suggest that you get one and read it. I have seen his books available in Walmart at a reasonable price, Dr. Atkins addresses a lot of these problems in his books. Here is wishing you good luck as you pursue your weight loss. Just keep hanging in there and read peoples journals because there is a lot of information which can help you in them. Alice
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 19:25

Stats: 275/267/165 Female 5'9
BF:Too High!
Progress: 7%
Default Yup, took my measurements...

For some reason that's psychologically easier than weighing myself.

I have read the Atkins book very thoroughly, particulary the parts about
lipolysis and ketosis. I think I might look through it again.

I guess I'm asking more of a scientific question about lipolysis/ketosis. I suspect that the answer is that if you're in ketosis it's very hard to gain weight but if you're consuming enough calories of fat and protein you could still be maintaing your weight. I'm really just curious.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 19:27

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Sure. You could be losing fat but gaining muscle so the scales 'stand still'. But your measurements might change.

This is especially true if you are exercising, or if you have been on a low cal or low fat diet. You may have been short of protein for ages and now your body is making overdue repairs to muscle and organs including the heart.

Ketostix aren't all that accurate. They measure ketones that come from fat you eat as well as fat that comes out of storage. And you can still lose weight while registering Trace or nothing on the stix.

Your body measurements are a much better indicator of how you are doing than the scales or the stix. You could shrink in size while staying the same on the scales.

Lack of hunger & having to remind yourself at 3 PM that you missed lunch is a good measure of being in ketosis.

Be patient and let your body adjust.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 04:48
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Tofi
Ketostix aren't all that accurate. They measure ketones that come from fat you eat as well as fat that comes out of storage. And you can still lose weight while registering Trace or nothing on the stix.

I would also like to add in, if you are eating large amount of foods, then you could just be burning them and not burning the fats you have stored up. So then yes, it is possible to be in ketosis and not lose weight.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 12:13
Contributing Member

Stats: 250/244/150 Female 5' 7
BF:
Progress: 6%
Exclamation Me, too!

I have been in ketosis everyday for the past 13 days and have lost 1 pound. I've also been measuring and have not lost inches. I'm pretty sure that I'm doing it right, but I too am not seeing results! I lost my first 5 lbs. within the first 3 days of induction (water weight I assume). I know how discouraging it is. I'm wondering why I'm doing this WOE if it isn't going to work for me. I haven't started exercising yet and know that that will make a big difference, BUT, it would probably make the EXACT same difference as if I eat regularly (including carbs and sugar) and exercise. I was hoping that I would lose weight by LCing (it's been a miracle for so many people--I wanted it to be my miracle as well!!!), but am losing faith. You can add exercise to any WOE and lose weight (when you weigh as much as I do). Why Atkins? Why am I an exception to the millions that it has worked for? This is the first time that I've tried to lose weight in 10 years and just KNEW that it would work like magic! Hmmmm...maybe I'm in that 1% of all people that it doesn't work (as it says in the book)???

Here's a sample of a typical day for me:

Breakfast:
3 scrambled eggs
3 strips of bacon
glass of water

Lunch:
grilled chicken breast with melted cheddar cheese
side salad
12 oz. can of Diet Rite Cola

Dinner:
sirloin steak (approx. 8 oz.) cooked in butter
2 cups green beans seasoned with real bacon bits
12 oz. can of Diet Rite Cola

After-Dinner Snack:
1 cup sugar-free jello

and of course I drink water all day long in-between meals.

Good luck to you!!! Maybe something will give for us...I'm going to give it another month.

BTW, I've also been taking the Atkins Basic 3 multi-vitamin, Atkins Accel, and Atkins Essential Oils.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 13:03

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

mommyof-2 - go to fitday.com and sign up for a free account. As you log in your daily food consumption fitday will give you the calories you are eating as well as the grams and percentages of fats, carbs, fiber and protein. Just from looking at what you posted I have a couple of small suggestions to make.

1. Drop the diet rite. It may be causing part of your problem.

2. Add fat. It doesn't look like you're consuming enough fat. You can add fat with avacados, olives, olive oil, butter, cheese and so on.

Your fat should be around 70%, carbs 5% and the rest should be protein.

Try fitday. It may give you more insight into what your problem is.

Oh, drink WATER, WATER, WATER! I drink around 4 liters a day (that's 16 - 8oz glasses).

This WOE is not only about losing weight, it is about bringing better health to your body. Don't get discouraged. This is not a quick fix "diet" -- IT IS A WAY OF LIFE.

shortstuff

PS - the calories may scare you stiff at first, but I lose at a steady pace between 1700 and 1800 calories per day with my fat at 70%! Surprise - there really is an advantage to eating this way. I'M NOT HUNGRY!

Last edited by shortstuff : Wed, Oct-15-03 at 13:05.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 13:17
Contributing Member

Stats: 250/244/150 Female 5' 7
BF:
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstuff
1. Drop the diet rite. It may be causing part of your problem.

Diet Rite has 0 calories, 0 fat, 0 sodium, 0 carbs, is caffeine free, and is sweetened with Splenda. Could drinking 1-3 of these per day keep me from losing weight (I've been in ketosis for 13 days while drinking this), if so, how?

Thanks!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 16:57
Registered Member

Stats: 158/134/125 Female 5 feet 2.5 inches
BF:???
Progress: 73%

I'd like to know why too. I drink mostly water, but I have one diet soda a day, plus coffee. If I quit drinking those, will I lose faster? I really don't want to give those up... it adds variety to my liquid intake.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 17:28
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

From what I understand if you are having a stall you should try cutting things like splenda and maybe cheese.

Play with other foods that you feel might be stalling you as well. I know its good on induction not to have splenda or to limit it severely to get your body adjusted to not having a sweet taste and not craving sweets. Also I think carbonated drinks retain water and have been known to stall weight loss at times. Try cutting out all carbonated drinks and upping your water intake. Maybe if possible try eating smaller portions more frequently?

Each person is different with what it takes.

Might need to cut coffee for a while and try that and see how you go, up on good fats? avocado, olive oil... etc.

Does the sugar free jello have aspratame in it? That might be part of the problem too.

It also sounds like you are taking in too few carbs and eating too few veggies. There are a few different posts from people saying that when their carb intake is under 15-20 a day they begin to stall.

Play around and see what works best for you. I would also stop trying to think of it as a diet, and perhaps more as a way of eating and a way of life and think of all the health benefits you are gaining from it. Weight loss doesnt come easy and does take work and if you find that eating differently and exercising you would lose more weight faster and be able to maintain it rather than this way and exercising and maintain it you might want to try that.

I am far from an expert in this, but I dont think you should give up, just try a bit of tweaking and see if you can find something to jump start it. Also a little bit of exercise, even walking a bit might help a lot too.

Good luck and best wishes,

-MJ-
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 02:13
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 207/189/145 Female 70.5
BF:
Progress: 29%

hi mommy of 2, it can be very frustrating to lose weight. all i can say is hang in there, i think it takes the body about a month before it kicks into gear. that has been my experience any way. this wol really does work give your body a chance to adjust and you will have success
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 11:09

Stats: 245/181/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

You May Want To Drop Those Extra Veggies As They Have Carbs. I Have Been In Induction For Three Weeks And My Loss Is 13 Pounds And Has Stopped For The Last Few Days But My Shorts Almost Fell Off At The Grocery Store Today So I Thi8nk Things Are Still Working.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 11:34
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

mommy of 2, I can see your disouragement, I hope you will find what works for you. If you stay here we'll all try to help. In comparing lowcarb and lowcal,I have never lost weight on low calorie diets because the food cravings and hunger are too much for me to stick to the plan, maybe this is different for you. Also I am a small middle aged woman and I have to exercise and not get my calories too high to lose. Happily I can eat anything I want at 50 carbs and maintain, I don't want to spend my life after I reach goal counting each and every calorie. With this wol I don't have to worry about eating out-most restaurants serve protein and fat and veges, with lowcal I only ordered salads and felt punished and would usually have a binge soon after.

I am hypoglycemic (high insulin levels) if I drink a diet rite before bed I will have a lowsugar episode, meaning it caused an insulin release. I have found this to be true of all diet drinks with aspartame being the worst, Hansons soda (splenda) the least. Maybe you have high insulin levels also. If so, this is the very best eating plan for you. In Bread for Life hypoglycemia was normalized after 3 months on a lowcarb diet. So weight loss can become easier as your blood sugar becomes more stable.

Also, exercising should be part of everyones life dieting or not.