Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 20:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/235/145
BF:
Progress:
Cool 40's gonna be great

Hi. My name is Karen and I'm new to Atkins. I'm determined to lose the weight this year. The baby will be 10 this summer, so it's time to lose the baby fat. I also figure it's a nice fortieth birthday present to myself.

I'm one of those people who could eat anything and stay skinny. I was all legs and limbs, until college. Well, even college wasn't that bad. I really started porking after the first baby, who graduates from high school this year. I wasn't helping on the farm (I've said I was banished to the house.), and I wasn't getting any exercise. With each of the three kids I kept a little extra. Then my dad died, which really hit me hard, though I didn't admit that until last year. I ate and spent myself into a big black hole. Then , this past spring I had a wake up call. My health went nuts. Over the summer, I swore off caffeine and "fatty" fast food. It was great. I lost 10 pound and was on my way to fifteen when the school year started and I was back in a classroom full of high school students. (I teach English, drama, and yearbook.) The only sanity in my life were my family, and (I know this sounds silly) the graduate class I was taking on top of everything else I was doing.

I've gained back 15 since school started!

Over Christmas, my aunts (2), my mother, my sister and I made a bet. My brother is getting married in July, and we each anted up $100 with the person losing the most weight by the end of June getting the pot (for losing the pot belly). We each weighed in on the same scale and my brother-in-law took down the numbers. I wasn't the heaviest, but I have 80 pounds to lose-- at least that's my goal.

Which brings me back to Atkins. I'm really betting on this to work. I will say that I don't have the bloating with Atkins that I have when just eating anything I want--chips, bread, soda, etc...

So, welcome to the farm (we raise beef and lamb) and howdy to all y'all. Let's get to work.

Karen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 04:17
Registered Member

Stats: 207/189/145 Female 70.5
BF:
Progress: 29%
Talking

Hi Karen,
Welome to the first day of the rest of your life. I think you will like the results of Atkins. I started twelve days ago and I'm down 11 pounds and its so easy to follow once you get in the swing of things. And your in the right business for the diet! Hope to be chating with you. Take care of you
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 07:15

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Living on a meat farm just about ensures your success on Atkins LOL !!! WElcome aboard!

Like you I used to be skinny. It was a whole change in metabolism and age, and quitting smoking etc etc - and I seemed to balloon up over night.

Make sure you visit all the sections along the orange bar at the top of your screen. There are lots of tips and tricks and other good things.

All the low carb plans are slightly different, glad you've chosen one to stick to, it can get a bit confusing otherwise.

Hang in there - Atkins works!!!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 08:09

Stats: 235/235/145
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the words of encouragement. They're a great way to start and end the day.

I'm finding praise can be as addictive as carbos.
As my bumpersticker says: "Eat beef."
Thanks again
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 10:11

Stats: 206.0/196.5/140
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Welcome!

Welcome Karen..

You sound very motivated and determined!! Post often let us know how you are doing..

Everyone here is very supportive and encouraging..and if you have rough days..come post..it helps. I wish you all the luck with this ..I am almost done with induction, and while I didnt lose a tone of pounds, I lost a whole size in my jeans...

Good luck!
Laura