Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 08:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%
Default Lean Cuisine...are they nuts???

I had heard that Lean Cuisine had come out with some low carb frozen meals. I thought they would be great to pick up to bring to work with me and just pop in the microwave. The only ones I saw were between 23-25 carbs and included POTATOES!!! Why would they put potatoes in a low carb meal???

I am waiting for that frozen dinner that includes only meat and "good" veggies. I scoured the frozen section and didn't find anything that didn't include some form of pasta, potatoes or other no nos. Guess I will start making my own and freezing them. Probably better off doing that anyway.

L
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 08:56

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

I saw one advertised (I don't think thier in Canada yet, as usual) that had 9 net carbs - it was chicken and veggies. Just another company jumping on the bandwagon.

Vikki
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 09:19

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue

Now see...I would buy that. I have such limited time that it would make my life easier if I could buy stuff that I could just toss in the microwave...*IF* they don't use starches, sugars and fillers, etc. and ruin it all.

L
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 09:31

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyspers
IF* they don't use starches, sugars and fillers, etc. and ruin it all.

Unfortunately, once you process the crap out of food you need to add something back in (usually the cheapest ingredients) to make it palatable.
  #5   ^

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

To the company that makes Lean Cuisine, 23-25g carbs is "low carb". I think many companies these days are rushing to jump on the "low-carb bandwagon". Something that is marketed as "low-carb" is not necessarily Atkins-friendly. That's why, if I opt for a "low-carb" substitute from one of the big companies, I look for the red Atkins logo on it. Yes, I know Atkins Nutritionals is in a business too, but if it has an Atkins logo on it, it makes my life easier, in terms of scouring the ingredient list, like the Arnold Carb Counting bread and Entenmann's Carb Counting baked goods. Good luck on your LC journey!!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 09:41
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradise
That's why, if I opt for a "low-carb" substitute from one of the big companies, I look for the red Atkins logo on it. Yes, I know Atkins Nutritionals is in a business too, but if it has an Atkins logo on it, it makes my life easier, in terms of scouring the ingredient list, like the Arnold Carb Counting bread and Entenmann's Carb Counting baked goods. Good luck on your LC journey!!!

Not necessarily. I went to eat at TGIFriday's and ordered from their 'Atkins Friendly' menu. The salad had a balsamic vinagrette that tasted like pure sugar. When I asked the manager about it, he said, "Oh yeah, there's sugar in the dressing. That's figured in the carb count." I could not get him to understand that we don't eat ANY sugar! He just looked at me like I had 3 heads.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 09:50

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Oops, Quinadal, sorry the Atkins-friendly thing didn't work while eating out. I'll have to keep that in mind.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 10:25
Just keep swimming

Plan: General Low Carb/IF
Stats: 226/186.6/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:34/29/24
Progress: 60%

I'm kind of paranoid about this restaurant frenzy. I've seen several posts over the last few days about folks being misled on the carb counts for some things. I guess as long as nothing regulates it, they can call what they want "low carb." For now, I think I'll just stick creating my own meals with real food and ordering what I know is safe in restaurants!
  #9   ^

Here's the nutritional information http://www.leancuisine.com/Product/NutritionalsPC.xls

Vikki
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 10:35

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Just because something sais LC doesn't mean it doesn't contain sugar. That must not be a regulation in determining whether something LC or not.

There is a LC frozen meal out. It's called Healthy something. They have just meat and veggies, but there was a gravy on it too. They range from 12 carbs and up.

When I eat out I stick to things I know. If the meal is just meat, cheese and a salad I figure that pretty safe. I don't buy into all the other stuff, it scares me!

Wee
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 11:30
Doctor Dirt

Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyspers
I am waiting for that frozen dinner that includes only meat and "good" veggies. I scoured the frozen section and didn't find anything that didn't include some form of pasta, potatoes or other no nos. Guess I will start making my own and freezing them. Probably better off doing that anyway.
L

Hey Whyspers,

Wal-Mart carries a line of low carb frozen meals -- 9 to 11 g carbs, if I remember correctly. I've gotten them for DH in the past and he says that they're not bad -- I think I got him beef with broccoli and chicken teriyaki. I can't remember the name of them though! They come in a blue box.

Jeannie
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 11:48
Just keep swimming

Plan: General Low Carb/IF
Stats: 226/186.6/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:34/29/24
Progress: 60%

Jeannie, they're called "Chef's Choice." I only know because I pulled them out of my freezer to check! They are good! My Super Wal-Mart has them in the frozen foods. The two I have in front of me are Garlic Beef & Broccoli Bowl (5 net carbs) and Chicken Cacciatore Bowl (9 net carbs). I use them occasionally for a quick lunch!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 11:50

I'm going to check them out this w/e - I'll bet they're not in Canada though

Vikki
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 12:20
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

We also have to remember that "low-carb" is a relative term. For someone who used to eat 300 carbs a day, as many of us did, 30 grams is extremely low in carbs by comparison. There are many low-carb diets who allow many more carbs than Atkins does, and these meals might be more appropriate for those people.

I will have to check out the ones from Wal-Mart, although whoever mentioned making their own really had the best idea.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 13:56

Stats: 120/112/105 Female 5.1
BF:unsure
Progress: 53%

Hi guys...I wanted to post here because I always look for a reasonable, easy alternative to cooking every night and have seen the lean cuisine meals which really don't suit my lifestyle. My grocery store carries a brand called Mike's Gourmet www.mikesgourmet.com. These meals have anywhere from 8-18 carbs and are a good size. But they are very expensive: $8.99-13.99. Anyways, I noticed that someone mentioned making their own (which is what I do). Every Sunday I leave my afternoon completely free and pretty much just crank my oven...lol!

I bought very inexpensive plastic plates that are divided and make enough chicken to feed an army. I make hot wings or chicken cordon bleu....I love experimenting. Then I rinse, cut, and measure all my veggies for the week. I wrap my meals up and refrigerate for the week. I don't freeze the veggies, but I have found that 'my meals' hold well from Monday-Wednesday or even Thursday then I just take out my George Forman and grill a steak as a treat. If you are crunched for breakfast make a casserole or quiche and do the same thing...divide it up into 5 portions and you're set.

I know it sounds like I have no life, but it's so easy and cheaper than trying to buy lunch out. Plus, after practicing this way of eating for a while I feel better knowing exactly what I am eating and what's in it.
Good Luck!!!
Jenn