Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 08:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/184/155 Female 5ft7in
BF:
Progress: 57%
Unhappy Induction blues

I've just reached 4 weeks of Induction and I don't feel like its working anymore! I actually weighed a 1/2 lb heavier, my breath doesn't seem to indicate ketosis and I just feel like I am not loosing. This is such a bummer. I am wondering what I need to do to trigger the losses again. I only take a multivitamin, so should I take something else? Do I need to get off of Induction or is it ok to stay here longer?

So far, I hadn't cut caffeine or nutrasweet out completely, but it didn't seem to have an effect on my losing. Could that have changed?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 08:28
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Sorry you are feeling low but... This is not a fast weightloss diet this is a healthy way to eat everyday whenever you are hungry and to be satisfied while SLOWLY get to your goal weight.

The slowly teaches you to eat right and patience so this time you keep it off. You will not lose weight everyday. Your body will get into natural stalls where it needs to catch up with the weight it has lost. It is good to take measurements now because usually in a stall (4 weeks of no weightloss) you usually are still losing inches.

RE: your 1/2 pound up... our weights are constantly fluctuating so don't let that get you down.

Last edited by lkonzelman : Thu, Apr-10-03 at 08:29.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 06:40
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 270/262/170 Female 5'4"
BF:270/261/170
Progress: 8%
Angry SCALES

Try only weighing yourself once a week, or once a month. Instead take your measurements. This seems to help me, I am not stressing in the morning over the "scales" ups and downs.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 06:56
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

A lot of people go through a post-induction stall. I am one of them, even though I never personally went over 25 grams a day! I lasted 4 weeks!!! 4 Weeks with the scale bouncing back and forth at the same numbers! I was not feeling very incouraged either. BUT... and there is always a but, I finally did what everyone said and measured myself, the remeasured myself a week and a half later. Even though the scale was still stuck at the same spot, I lost 5 inches! NOT including the two inches on my thighs!

Don't lose hope! There are other ways of seeing progress! Finally my scale moved down 2 pounds after the 4 week stall, but the inches are still moving faster!

#5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 07:53
Registered Member

BF:
Default Measuring

Are there guidelines/steps for how to measure myself somewhere? I am not really sure how.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 09:33

Plan: Restart 8/6/18 - 75/20/5
Stats: 196/155.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:Die MF!
Progress: 62%

Hi Sare,

Measure yourself using a plastic tape measure (dressmaker type) as the cloth ones sometimes stretch. Minimally, some do more, measure your neck, upper arm, bust, underbust, waist, hips, upper thigh and calf.

Around my 3rd and 4th week, I went up and down a half a pound. I took measurements at the end of week two and when I measured myself at the end of week 4 I had lost 4+ inches. At the time I was one pound heavier than when I had last taken my measurements. There really does seem to be a pattern of weight loss OR inches lost, just not at the same time.

Also, I have never had any indication of ketones in my breath or any bad taste sensations. My ketones come out in my sweat and it's not pretty.

You also mention that caffiene and nutrasweet are not having any negative effect on you. How do you know? I wouldn't go so far as to say they are solely responsible for slow weight loss (in fact, at this point your progress sounds very typical), but, they may be exacerbating the situation. Maybe you could try cutting out one for a week or two and see if that helps.

You'll do fine. Patience is the watch word around here.

Stay positive,

Jones
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 21:17
Registered Member

BF:
Default measuring

Jones,
Thanks for the measuring tips! I look forward to seeing some of the results for myself...tomorrow I will measure per your suggestions!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 12:42
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

I lost 14.5 about 10 days into induction, then I started gaining. I gained two pounds back before Induction ended, so my offical Induction loss was 12.5 lbs. Week 3 and 4 were really slow for me. One of those weeks I gained .5 lb.

Don't get discouraged. This is very common. Even when my weight loss stopped or I went up, the inches kept coming off. One thing I'm learning is that you shouldn't expect the losses to be consistent. You might average 2 or so pounds a week, but that means up 1, down 4, up a half, down two.

I've lost 20 lbs in six weeks, but it certainly hasn't been steady.

Don't give up. If you're following plan you will lose the weight. Don't let the scale get you down because it doesn't show the whole picture.

Good luck!